Solar panel installation

Anything none corrosive will do I think and just leave them in it doesn't have to be 1mm either that is the minimum suggested, 2mm would be the max I think it helps with unlevel surfaces too.

I do stand corrected on how an aircraft wing generates lift.
But I still believe that what would cause a solar panel to lift is airflow getting between the panel and the roof ie under the panel. Deflecting the wind over the panel as described will have the opposite affect.

Wind's Impact on Solar Panels

Another aspect that may add to damage in a storm is wind. High winds from all directions may wreak havoc on even the best-built houses. Uplift may be an issue since the solar panels are placed slightly above the surface of the roof.

Wind can cause uplift when it makes its way between the roof and the solar panels, causing the panels to rise up or break free. However, with the correct installation of quality solar panels, you won't have to worry about uplift until in the case of really severe weather.

Solar panels from reputable manufacturers are rigorously tested to ensure they are engineered to withstand uplift. Furthermore, properly installed solar panels, in most cases, account for wind patterns to ensure that your solar panels are securely mounted on your roof and that all wires are carefully stowed.

If you reside in a region prone to severe winds, your solar installer will be able to knowledgeable recommendations based on their experience. And, more than likely, your roof will fail before your panels do.

This might be a bit apples and oranges as the house roof is likely at an angle to incoming air. Anywho, just makes sure they are secure I guess.

This might be a bit apples and oranges as the house roof is likely at an angle to incoming air. Anywho, just makes sure they are secure I guess.
I would have thought that would make it more difficult for the air to get under the panel on a pitched roof.
as I said I stand corrected on the wing, but air getting under the panel causes uplift.
Therefore the opposite applies if you deflect the air over the panel.
But as you say whats important is that the panels are secured properly.
I have four panels two120w and two 45w secured using 50mm angled aluminium, and Sikaflex 554.
But the size of Robs panels would require mechanical fixings.

I would have thought that would make it more difficult for the air to get under the panel on a pitched roof.
as I said I stand corrected on the wing, but air getting under the panel causes uplift.
I have four panels two120w and two 45w secured using 50mm angled aluminium, and Sikaflex 554.

I think I'm going to go for a mixture of the Unistrut rails (x3) lengthways and the curved brackets as suggested by Neil @Nabsim as a deflector at the front Bill.

The reason being that;

1 - The Unistrut rails can be mechanically fixed as well as with Sikaflex.
2 - It's a very flexible system and gives a lot of tolerance
3 - a central rail will give the panels support in the middle
4 - The width of the panels pretty much uses up all of the useable flat space on top of the van so any angle I put on the side of the panels may fall onto a curved surface. I need to check this though as there may well be just enough. I suppose there is an option to put the angle the other way round though so the foot of the aluminium angle goes under the panel instead of out to the side.
5 - The curved air deflector (cue music) :giggle: along the front will add another mechanical fixing and hopefully lessen any wind noise and as David said won't detract from the MPG figures too much - and as you and I have said may prevent upward pressure from below but that is obviously still under debate.

Last edited:
Years back when I was selling trucks etc I suggested to my boss branching into an aero foil system that I designed in my head to fit between the side crash barriers on a semi trailer as I thought it would create lift and save on tyre and road wear, he thought I should stick to what I was doing, I often wondered if it would have worked.
Kwack kwack said the container. 😂
container.jpg

lift.jpg

Thatused to be the thinking, old hat, Bernoillis equation of lift, just incase you think i make this up.;)

I think I'm going to go for a mixture of the Unistrut rails (x3) lengthways and the curved brackets as suggested by Neil @Nabsim as a deflector at the front Bill.

The reason being that;

1 - The Unistrut rails can be mechanically fixed as well as with Sikaflex.
2 - It's a very flexible system and gives a lot of tolerance
3 - a central rail will give the panels support in the middle
4 - The width of the panels pretty much uses up all of the useable flat space on top of the van so any angle I put on the side of the panels may fall onto a curved surface. I need to check this though as there may well be just enough. I suppose there is an option to put the angle the other way round though so the foot of the aluminium angle goes under the panel instead of out to the side.
5 - The curved air deflector (cue music) :giggle: along the front will add another mechanical fixing and hopefully lessen any wind noise and as David said won't detract from the MPG figures too much - and as you and I have said may prevent upward pressure from below but that is obviously still under debate.
That isn’t my suggestion Rob, that is the reply sent by Bimble Solar 👍

Does that mean I can't sue you Neil when the panels fly off on the M25?

Damn! :LOL:
Correct lol. If it was me suggesting I wouldn’t be saying rivet to van lol. I do think unistrut or roof rack is best way to mount if you can though. So much flexibility for future changes.
What width are the panels you are going for Rob and are you mounting long side down the van or long side across the van roof?

Correct lol. If it was me suggesting I wouldn’t be saying rivet to van lol. I do think unistrut or roof rack is best way to mount if you can though. So much flexibility for future changes.
What width are the panels you are going for Rob and are you mounting long side down the van or long side across the van roof?

They are 1134 x 1722mm each panel Neil so too long to mount transversely.

I won't use rivets myself I will use black M6 Button screws with washers and Nylocs behind. I only need to buy 2 of them now for the wind deflector at the front.

They are 1134 x 1722mm each panel Neil so too long to mount transversely.

I won't use rivets myself I will use black M6 Button screws with washers and Nylocs behind. I only need to buy 2 of them now for the wind deflector at the front.
My 150W panels are 1340mm long but mounted across the van so wider than what you will have. I used the plastic brackets with one each corner and one in the centre. Mine does have the big skylight in front but I reckon you will be fine with a centre bracket unless you particularly want the wind deflector one. I would go for four brackets along each long edge as well so I would have ten brackets per panel that size. Easy with the unistrut though huh 👍

My 150W panels are 1340mm long but mounted across the van so wider than what you will have. I used the plastic brackets with one each corner and one in the centre. Mine does have the big skylight in front but I reckon you will be fine with a centre bracket unless you particularly want the wind deflector one. I would go for four brackets along each long edge as well so I would have ten brackets per panel that size. Easy with the unistrut though huh 👍

Mine are 1722mm long Neil and 1134mm wide so 382mm longer than yours. Being a PVC as well tapers in quite a lot at the top so the width of useable flat space is quite narrow. If you have a look at the 'Who's awake' thread I have just posted a picture and you will see what I mean.

Mine are 1722mm long Neil and 1134mm wide so 382mm longer than yours. Being a PVC as well tapers in quite a lot at the top so the width of useable flat space is quite narrow. If you have a look at the 'Who's awake' thread I have just posted a picture and you will see what I mean.

Forgot to hit 'post' on who's awake it's there now!

Also I now see what you meant about wider!

Correct Merl, it's the only way they will go on my van.
When you mentioned 3 runs of Unistrut with one going central I just assumed you'd be fitting them transverse with a bit of overhang each side. Is the Unistrut going lengthways down the van too or are you putting several lengths widthways? If lengthways down the van would you really need more than 2?

Back