Solar panel installation

I know a few peeps who use big domestic panels and I don’t think any of them have done more than 3 brackets each side. I think the biggest anyone I know has fitted is just short of 500W. None of them have reported any problems with the panels, only one I have seen actually broken was a panel that was left loose leaning against a trailer. Even though it looked like every cells was well cracked it still generated some power but you would have needed to be a very low user for it to do you lol

Think there’s a bit of overthinking going on here but end of day you have to be happy in yourself so do what makes you happy 😂😂

I haven't read the whole thread, forgive me...

However, doesn't diverting the air up over the panels create lower pressure above than below and therefore lift?
No running more air on one side creates more pressure on that side.
So if there is more air over the top of the panel this would put downward pressure on the panel.

Wouldn’t the panel have to be wing shaped to get a lifting effect?
No try securing an 8X4 plywood sheet on a roof rack.
If the air flow is greater under the plywood it will create lift, if above as I have mentioned it will create downward pressure.
A wing achieves lift by angling it into the wind so that the bottom of the wing achieves more air flow than the top generating lift.

No running more air on one side creates more pressure on that side.
So if there is more air over the top of the panel this would put downward pressure on the panel.

No try securing an 8X4 plywood sheet on a roof rack.
If the air flow is greater under the plywood it will create lift, if above as I have mentioned it will create downward pressure.
A wing achieves lift by angling it into the wind so that the bottom of the wing achieves more air flow than the top generating lift.

Pretty much just nope lol.

Aerofoil1.jpg

A wing actually creates lift by having a flatter bottom than the top, the top is bulged upward. The air has to travel faster over the longer distance along the curved top thus spreading the air out and this reduces air pressure over the wing and hence lift.
I remember being at an aero modelling talk when I was about 12 and this was explained and I've never forgotten it, later in the seminar the guy giving the talk said "Right, we're now going to cover 'Drag' and asked does anyone know what drag is" A guy put his hand up and said "Yes, it's a bloke dressed as a woman"! Well I was only 12 and couldn't understand why everyone was in hysterics.
EDIT, Steve just beat me to it by about 10 seconds!!

A wing actually creates lift by having a flatter bottom than the top, the top is bulged upward. The air has to travel faster over the longer distance along the curved top thus spreading the air out and this reduces air pressure over the wing and hence lift.
I remember being at an aero modelling talk when I was about 12 and this was explained and I've never forgotten it, later in the seminar the guy giving the talk said "Right, we're now going to cover 'Drag' and asked does anyone know what drag is" A guy put his hand up and said "Yes, it's a bloke dressed as a woman"! Well I was only 12 and couldn't understand why everyone was in hysterics.
EDIT, Steve just beat me to it by about 10 seconds!!
New thinking says it gets thinner over the top of the wing which creates a suction effect and lifts the wing, the thick heavy air under it then pushes up to help, the pressure differance on a jumbo jet is equel to a baby sucking on a straw which makes a wing more efficent thus saving fuel.

New thinking says it gets thinner over the top of the wing which creates a suction effect and lifts the wing, the thick heavy air under it then pushes up to help, the pressure differance on a jumbo jet is equel to a baby sucking on a straw which makes a wing more efficent thus saving fuel.

Gosh! I hadn't thought of that when figuring out wind deflection over my solar panels Trev.

How silly of me!

Back