Single female

Catchic

Good morning all

I've tried to search threads but technically challenged so apologies if it's been said before....
Like everyone I'm itching to get on the road. I have some concerns though. My van is basic and multitasks as work vehicle, so I will be looking to go to pubs and friends. I had a trial run on the farm my cousin lives on and loved it. I parked a fair way from his cottage but in truth was in a gated community equivalent. I plan to visit a friend in Blackpool and use her driveway as my next venture to build my confidence. When we are allowed. The thing that bothers me, though is my being alone. If I was 6' and built like Mike Tyson might be more confident but I just have a nagging fear around my vulnerability. Yes I can lock myself in and so feel safer than if I were in a tent. And I have a terrier who, although not a killing machine would certainly alert me to movements outside. However I can't quite shift the sensation of: am I safe?
Are any of you able to offer some words of wisdom, anything I should consider or things I can do to overcome this niggling anxiety? I desperately want to explore the Lake District and national parks but can't lift my underlying fear? I veer from powerhouse of bold, rebellious "I can do this" to "eeek"
Any suggestions/advice?

I’m 66 and although I have a husband he has yet to retire so while he works I travel and though I travel a lot with friends I also travel a lot on my own and in all the years I’ve been doing it I’ve yet to meet a mad axe murderer or the like there have been places where I have stopped and not felt very comfortable so I always have a backup I too travel with a small terrier fat lot of good she would do me but she’s company so you just have to put your fear in a box and get on with enjoying yourself or find a like minded friend to travel with. 👍

Hey ya,
Why not initially consider getting to know a few people on here, There’s a few single Women & Men a like that have spent many a year wilding, When Things are somewhat normal again Maybe THEN consider going to one of the many ‘Meets’ with the bunch you’ve already had a chance to chat with & forge a virtual relationship, or go on a small out the way Campsite in a different cruising ground for a cpl of Nts to build your confidence of being somewhere ‘Different’ But in Safety.
There’s a ‘Zoom’ call tonight why not Put on your Glad rags & join some of the gang to put faces to Keyboards 👍😊
it’s a start !.

Always KNOW WHERE YOU ARE & download one of the many apps available like ‘3words’ or I use ‘Life360’ this means Not only YOU know where you are, But so do other trusted people in your chosen circle that you give permission to.
In the event of an emergency you’ve got that information immediately to hand.
Good powerful Torch.
ALWAYS have a Charged Phone.
Park Sensible & Know how to leave a parkup.
I’m a single Zombie & lived this lifestyle for well over 10 years without manmade incident. So don’t loose sight of its ment to be enjoyable.
BE PREPARED BUT ENJOY 😊

Last edited:
I’m 66 and although I have a husband he has yet to retire so while he works I travel and though I travel a lot with friends I also travel a lot on my own and in all the years I’ve been doing it I’ve yet to meet a mad axe murderer or the like there have been places where I have stopped and not felt very comfortable so I always have a backup I too travel with a small terrier fat lot of good she would do me but she’s company so you just have to put your fear in a box and get on with enjoying yourself or find a like minded friend to travel with. 👍
Thank you
Yes I realise my fear is irrational. I like the backup plan idea. If I feel uncomfortable. I'm hoping the more I do it the less of an issue my anxiety will be.

Hey ya,
Why not initially consider getting to know a few people on here, There’s a few single Women & Men a like that have spent many a year wilding, When Things are somewhat normal again Maybe THEN consider going to one of the many ‘Meets’ with the bunch you’ve already had a chance to chat with & forge a virtual relationship, or go on a small out the way Campsite in a different cruising ground for a cpl of Nts to build your confidence of being somewhere ‘Different’ But in Safety.
There’s a ‘Zoom’ call tonight why not Put on your Glad rags & join some of the gang to put faces to Keyboards 👍😊
it’s a start !.
Very good suggestions.
I guess my problem is I like being by myself but am unused to travelling alone.
I won't be available to zoom tonight but will look out fir it next time. Thank you

Definitely go to the meets when they get going again.

You will meet a few people in the same boat as yourself and it's far better sitting and talking in person with like minded people.

A dog is a very good start and probably is the best deterrent. Park facing the exit, go with your gut feeling, if your not comfortable with a location then move as it's meant to be fun and not a test of your bravery. A bored teenager getting stoned with his mates throwing a MacD's drink at your camper is realistically as bad its gonna get in the UK

I met an 80+lady in Spain who has travelled on her own in a small van for years, escaping usually. She said that she always has her radio on which makes it seem like people talking. Never stops if she feels unsure for any reason, always has two choices of where she will park. She parked in the same spot as us for a little while before deciding to stay. ( think she was sussing out if we were "safe") . She said she had never had any problems although others were always nervous on her behalf. She did say that she thought about what the worst which could happen was, and decided that nobody would abduct her in daylight ( !) she was safe in her van locked in, had a pepper spray she never had to use and a personal alarm in the dashboard that she bought years ago and forgets to take out.
Lovely lady, swapped English paperbacks, tips for washing clothes, and shared a bottle of wine together.
Several single motorhomers on here, I am sure your confidence will increase once you
" have a plan"... And remember, nobody else knows your dog is a pushover!

Last edited:
A dog is a very good start and probably is the best deterrent. Park facing the exit, go with your gut feeling, if your not comfortable with a location then move as it's meant to be fun and not a test of your bravery. A bored teenager getting stoned with his mates throwing a MacD's drink at your camper is realistically as bad its gonna get in the UK
That I could cope with!

I met an 80+lady in Spain who has travelled on her own in a small van for years, escaping usually. She said that she always has her radio on which makes it seem like people talking. Never stops if she feels unsure for any reason, always has two choices of where she will park. She parked in the same spot as us for a little while before deciding to stay. ( think she was sussing out if we were "safe") . She said she had never had any problems although others were always nervous on her behalf. She did say that she thought about what the worst which could happen was, and decided that nobody would abduct her in daylight ( !) she was safe in her van locked in, had a pepper spray she never had to use and a personal alarm in the dashboard that she bought years ago and forgets to take out.
Lovely lady, swapped English paperbacks, tips for washing clothes, and shared a bottle of wine together.
Several single motorhomers on here, I am sure your confidence will increase once you
" have a plan"... And remember, nobody else knows your dog is a pushover!
They will when he starts to lick them lol.
yes I've already picked up some good points, parking facing the exits alarm and radio are good ones. And listening to my gut. I like the alternate place idea; move on if feeling uncertain.
So armed wuth sound advice it's a question of researching places to go and waiting fir the lockdowns to end.

like many things..starting off it the difficuly part.
i understand your concerns and earlier posts have given you ideas to both be safe and feel safe 1
Go for it albeit cautiously especially at first.

Maybe train him to " speak" for a treat so he will back on command....failing that you can buy alarms which are dogs barking ( deep threatening barks rather than happy yips! 🥴 )

Consider ‘CL’ sites & Farm Sites 👍

I actually gave a single older gentleman who was traveling the UK alone in a little van some work two years ago, & a 50somthing Single Woman a part time Cleaning job for 3 months in exchange for a Pitch, EHU, Water, Shower & Full Waste Disposal, She met LOADS of likeminded people during her stay. I’m actually still in contact with them both now.

Few tips from the bear would be,
Always make sure you can access drivers seat from inside your van, so you can get away without going outside.

If it don't feel right, move on.

Get used to the normal "night sounds" then you aren't on edge every time a badger walks past.

Try not to let your fears spoil your enjoyment, as most of us have never been murdered in our vans yet!😉

Hope you get a chance to get out there soon, the more you do it the more your confidence will grow....

Out of interest, what type of van do you have? I understand you also use it for work, if it is sign written you may encounter problems booking into a campsite/holiday park.

Out of interest, what type of van do you have? I understand you also use it for work, if it is sign written you may encounter problems booking into a campsite/holiday park.
It's an ole transit.
and yes I'm aware I can't access a lot of sites.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back