Single female

First experience: a couple of twerps pulled up alongside our MH in a pimped up Fiat Uno [I ask you, tut] with a fart blaster exhaust which they revved and revved. They thought this hilarious, it left us wondering about the evolution of the human species.

Second time: I camped up on my own in a rural car park, all very quiet till it went dark, then cars started to arrive. :eek: I peeped out from behind the curtains wondering why people were getting out of their cars and milling about. After 10 minutes or so an X rated version of Love Island commenced. It sure beat watching Emmerdale!

Third time: Same as above but it was men only. If I had a tv I would have turned Emmerdale on!

If you don't feel comfortable with a spot, move on. Always arrive in daylight to assess, if it is littered with broken glass, cans or KFC wrappers, it probably won't be a good spot.

Leave a large bowl of water outside he hab door and stick one of these in the window.

And a large chain with a studded collar usually works as well.

Common sense and gut feeling. From my own experience of solo travel (albeit I’m a 6’4” bloke) is that you meet some really great people on the way.

In the late eighties I used to work abroad and come back to Blighty for the summer months. I’d give the old VW camper a push and it’d cough into life, then the adventures would begin.
I met a woman travelling alone on a little farm site near the lakes. In her early forties she’d given up on the nine to five and hit the road. Her two adult kids had given her plenty of grief about going solo, but nothing was going to stop her. Over the years we’d meet up here and there, tell the tale and sing a song or two.
We still keep in touch, she’s in her seventies now and unfortunately unable to drive. Now living in a tiny cottage, she needs zero encouragement to hop aboard someone else’s van for a few days!

I’ve other friends I’ve made along the way. I picked up a young German hitchhiker on his way to the Edinburgh festival, we still try and meet when we can over the thirty six years of friendship!

I guess the point I’m trying to make is that as a life style, you’ll make some great friends. I’ve a network of pals across the uk where I know I can pitch up anytime, likewise they can come to me. I’ve never had a bad experience letting someone pitch up at my place.

With the new normal on the horizon I suspect there are going to be many more folk hitting the roads of their home nations. I’m certainly looking forward to making some new friends along the way.

Forever the optimist? Why not!

praps when you visit your friend..instead of staying on her drive,,,,,,is there a space on her road or nearby where you could parked up for the night.......thats what i did ...not outside other houses tho,,,,,,,,(only have a small camper)..........did that a few times....stayed around places where near to civlization.....cos i would be no good if any bother started.....you.ll be fine.....enjoy it

It's not just a female thing, I'm sure there are many slight built males who don't fancy an unpleasant close encounter. Though few would admit it. I had a dodgy moment on the dutch german border. To overcome the language problem I had to offer him a small axe we carry. Even though I moved on, that night the axe was displayed on the dash. The thing is, if someone intends you harm it doesn't matter where you are.

The wife said lock your drawers and have more gas and electric than you need.

The mad axeman has been cancelled. Its the SWF who scared us most.

The best thing about overnighting is reading the horror story's and filling alive!
even if it is your last night on this subject. Lol

More power, more power to you and your batteries.

It's not just a female thing, I'm sure there are many slight built males who don't fancy an unpleasant close encounter. Though few would admit it. I had a dodgy moment on the dutch german border. To overcome the language problem I had to offer him a small axe we carry. Even though I moved on, that night the axe was displayed on the dash. The thing is, if someone intends you harm it doesn't matter where you are.
I think this is my worry. The majority don't seek to harm others but those that do? How does one prevent that.
perhaps the biggest thing is not to dwell on it abd as mentioned previously apply common sense abd basic precautions.
it's that thing where if someone is determined they are determined. Hopefully I wouldn't be significant enough to make it onto their radar.

It's an ole transit.
and yes I'm aware I can't access a lot of sites.
This will probaly attract more attention than a dedicated camper specially as its sign written people will be wonder why its there whats worth having inside of it

😂😂 well that will certainly calm her fears. 😱😂😂

I think this is my worry. The majority don't seek to harm others but those that do? How does one prevent that.
perhaps the biggest thing is not to dwell on it abd as mentioned previously apply common sense abd basic precautions.
it's that thing where if someone is determined they are determined. Hopefully I wouldn't be significant enough to make it onto their radar.
Never underestimate the disruption caused to someone of you Revving your Engine, Elbowing the Horn With Full beam & Hazards flashing while having a Phone to your ear !.
Try & get a decent Dash cam or two !

We can all let our minds & ‘What if’ scenarios play out in our heads & imaginations. & OF COURSE you have to take Sensible precautions.

But don’t get too hung up on them. Just have a Plan 👍😊

I think most folk on here would say they haven't had any really bad experiences, in this country at least. A few annoying ones such as boy racers. Don't forget when you are in your van with the curtains closed no one outside knows if there is one or ten people inside.

Few tips from the bear would be,
Always make sure you can access drivers seat from inside your van, so you can get away without going outside.

If it don't feel right, move on.

Get used to the normal "night sounds" then you aren't on edge every time a badger walks past.

Try not to let your fears spoil your enjoyment, as most of us have never been murdered in our vans yet!😉

Hope you get a chance to get out there soon, the more you do it the more your confidence will grow....
I sincerely hope that all of us reading this haven't been murdered in our van's otherwise it would be very eerie.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back