Single female

So Im a bloke but I’ve travelled in a works van from the UK to basically most places you can, that includes Moscow, Casablanca and Istanbul and much more.
Being female isn’t a disadvantage except its easier for me to pee by the back wheel or in a hedge.

So basic self preservation technique.

If it don’t look or feel safe it ain’t, a defensive weapon is still a weapon and authorities don’t like that, also unless your up for using it it’s useless.

If the van has back doors and a side door then as long as it has a bulkhead security is simple magnetic security lights are cheap and easy to find, a simple bar behind the back doors with a couple of brackets to stop them being forced open is easy.

A piece of timber can simply stop the side door from being opened.

An awning and two chairs outside is a good idea as Johnny bad boy will know the van is occupied. He won’t want you, just the van or contents.

Don't waste money on security cameras, the big bad wolf simple ain’t coming for you, know where you are and have a charged mobile phone to hand.

In the incredibly unlikely case or an attempt to access your van while your sleeping in it dial 999 and don’t report a suspicion of a break in, report a lone female and an attack. Better to apologise for over reading than the alternative.

Don't stay in one place too long unless it’s a secure site.

Do trust people, they normally will want to help not harm you.

That thought has occurred to me too. tempting to get the vynyl off...
But it'll still look like a van you need some way to show its occupied. I've overnighted in a works van before and had people looking in the windows soon as I turned the lights on and they knew it was occupied they ran off

We have spent a few years free camping in campervans around the world mainly in quite isolated places and never had any incidents. I think the chance of such would be extremely slim indeed regardless. Anyway from the outside nobody would know if there was a single female or several burly blokes inside a camper, so who would chance that and why would they want to anyway? We've lost count of the times local boy racers have put on a show for us, we open up the blinds as it's quite entertaining - but if you open your camper door they quickly flee! So maybe just little men making loud noises to make up for their personal inadequacies?
Some forestery car parks can be equally entertaining in the evenings as some have said though if near other campers it may be more reassuring? I think you will soon adjust to the reality and feel safe enough. Happy camping! (y)

Good morning all

I've tried to search threads but technically challenged so apologies if it's been said before....
Like everyone I'm itching to get on the road. I have some concerns though. My van is basic and multitasks as work vehicle, so I will be looking to go to pubs and friends. I had a trial run on the farm my cousin lives on and loved it. I parked a fair way from his cottage but in truth was in a gated community equivalent. I plan to visit a friend in Blackpool and use her driveway as my next venture to build my confidence. When we are allowed. The thing that bothers me, though is my being alone. If I was 6' and built like Mike Tyson might be more confident but I just have a nagging fear around my vulnerability. Yes I can lock myself in and so feel safer than if I were in a tent. And I have a terrier who, although not a killing machine would certainly alert me to movements outside. However I can't quite shift the sensation of: am I safe?
Are any of you able to offer some words of wisdom, anything I should consider or things I can do to overcome this niggling anxiety? I desperately want to explore the Lake District and national parks but can't lift my underlying fear? I veer from powerhouse of bold, rebellious "I can do this" to "eeek"
Any suggestions/advice?
Good morning all

I've tried to search threads but technically challenged so apologies if it's been said before....
Like everyone I'm itching to get on the road. I have some concerns though. My van is basic and multitasks as work vehicle, so I will be looking to go to pubs and friends. I had a trial run on the farm my cousin lives on and loved it. I parked a fair way from his cottage but in truth was in a gated community equivalent. I plan to visit a friend in Blackpool and use her driveway as my next venture to build my confidence. When we are allowed. The thing that bothers me, though is my being alone. If I was 6' and built like Mike Tyson might be more confident but I just have a nagging fear around my vulnerability. Yes I can lock myself in and so feel safer than if I were in a tent. And I have a terrier who, although not a killing machine would certainly alert me to movements outside. However I can't quite shift the sensation of: am I safe?
Are any of you able to offer some words of wisdom, anything I should consider or things I can do to overcome this niggling anxiety? I desperately want to explore the Lake District and national parks but can't lift my underlying fear? I veer from powerhouse of bold, rebellious "I can do this" to "eeek"
Any suggestions/advice?
I can

I’m a single woman too and sometimes travel alone. The first time I parked up I felt quite nervous. But in the end I gave myself a good talking to along the lines of ‘No one knows I’m a woman alone in here. For all they know I could be a burly man. What are the chances of a murderer passing by tonight?’ Etc. I always park facing the exit route. I leave the keys in the ignition and a clear path to the driver’s seat and I lock myself in. If it doesn’t feel right I don’t stay there.
it’s worth conquering your fears if you can. Travelling alone is a wonderful experience. So liberating. I wish you well.

Without an extra long handle an axe murderer would be breaking social distancing rules to axe murder you at the moment and they wouldn't want to get in trouble or get a bad name would they.

So now is a perfect time to spend some time in your vehicle outside your home getting used to it, the more you do it the more comfortable you will be.

Thousands of people sleep in our cities with nothing more than a sleeping bag to protect them. They are passed by hundreds of people including many drunk, we do read about the homeless getting attacked but it is rare. If you compare your situation to theirs it brings home how safe you really are

We pretty much always stop in very isolated and remote places and whilst on the face of it these might seem the most scary, in reallity what are the chances of a mad axeman happening upon a us. The more likely scenario is locals, and again keep in mind there can't be many of those because we're in the middle of nowhere, beeping their horns as they pass because they somehow feel we shouldn't be there. I might add that I think we've only had that once and that was beep beep beep and then gone so by the time it had registered it was over.

More likely to get mugged in a house than in a van.
mug.png

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back