Simple things that make a difference

Nope ...... Soda ; Lime; White Rum and Sugar = Mojito

Appropriately, I was taught the recipe in Cuba as almost all of the ingredients are indigenous to the island and its origins can be traced to Cuba and the 16th-century cocktail El Draque. Named for Sir Francis Drake, the English sea captain and explorer who visited Havana in 1586, El Draque was composed of aguardiente (a cane-spirit precursor to rum), lime, mint and sugar.

Eventually, rum replaced aguardiente and then lengthened with thirst-quenching club soda to create a delicious, lighthearted cocktail.
The name was changed to the Mojito.

I have visited Hemingway's favorite bar "La Bodeguita del Medio" in Havana (Habana to the locals and pedantic members of this group) but I was taught the receipt in Holguin province.

I stopped drinking them when I was diagnosed with Diabeties so I might give your healthy version a try.
SUGAR may have contributed!😉👍
Christina uses tonic in her wine to water it down and it also mixes well with my Gin = a lot less ingredients to carry, I'm happy with how it tastes, the other option for the Bacardi was coke, not the snorting type!
20240711_123244.jpg

I don't have sugar in the van or in the house.🤷‍♂️

No sugar in the van, but we keep a bag in the house for visitors.
These days very few visitors or workmen take sugar so the bag is rarely opened.

If it is still around after a few years we throw it away and buy a new bag.

There is always honey at ours, managed to keep our four kids away from it.

Just wondering what simple purchases people have made for their vans that have made all the difference?
I recently got one of these, makes a big difference when trying to fill the van on your own. Now the hose doesn’t come out the fill point when your 15ft away turning the tap on!

free image hosting website
I often thought of getting one but wonder if the pressure that would build up prior to full would/could do any harm ?

I hate the sliding door mossie screens. Very expensive to replace and difficult to repair. I now have a magnetic screen from Leroy Merlin (Spain and France) - not the ones with individual magnets which I found useless but has a full screen magnet strip with one magnetic block at the bottom. Works a treat and closes pretty much all the time. Used it all through last Spain/Portugal 3 month trip and still going strong.

Attachments

• IMG_8882.jpeg
    IMG_8882.jpeg
    378.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8883.jpeg
    IMG_8883.jpeg
    762.1 KB · Views: 33
I hate the sliding door mossie screens. Very expensive to replace and difficult to repair. I now have a magnetic screen from Leroy Merlin (Spain and France) - not the ones with individual magnets which I found useless but has a full screen magnet strip with one magnetic block at the bottom. Works a treat and closes pretty much all the time. Used it all through last Spain/Portugal 3 month trip and still going strong.
PS: - about €15 !!

PS: - about €15

Don't think it goes off ?

Correct , coffee beans are ground fresh for a reason .
You must be closer to Pudsey than me . Go round and remove a digit
To be honest it doesn't really make much difference, we had an old time wind up coffee grinder first, then we bought pre-ground coffee, then got the electric one and took it with us, but to grind for one day is a pain so we ground for a week then two weeks all tasted the same so just ground at home unless you're a coffee snob it's all coffee, it's the bean and the roast that is the real flavour decider, Liz is a coffee snob, and makes her coffee most day on a proper shop coffee machine with steam etc, we got to like the coffee in France after a few days, but too small per € for us so preferred a Latte or a Capodemonte ;) ;)

To be honest it doesn't really make much difference, we had an old time wind up coffee grinder first, then we bought pre-ground coffee, then got the electric one and took it with us, but to grind for one day is a pain so we ground for a week then two weeks all tasted the same so just ground at home unless you're a coffee snob it's all coffee, it's the bean and the roast that is the real flavour decider, Liz is a coffee snob, and makes her coffee most day on a proper shop coffee machine with steam etc, we got to like the coffee in France after a few days, but too small per € for us so preferred a Latte or a Capodemonte ;) ;)
It really does make a difference .
Yes the bean and roast provide the flavour. Once ground that flavour deteriorates .
Like the sound of your capodemonte .
No idea what it is though

It really does make a difference .
Yes the bean and roast provide the flavour. Once ground that flavour deteriorates .
Like the sound of your capodemonte .
No idea what it is though
You are right of course, I meant it would take a very educated palate to tell the difference, and that would be with a plain coffee, once you start adding sugar and milk etc it is less obvious, Liz sometimes likes honey in hers, I prefer demerara sugar it all changes the taste.

I looked it up though.

"

Does Coffee Go Bad If You Leave It Out?​

Technically, coffee doesn’t go off. It will never become mouldy or unsafe to consume. The best before date on a bag of coffee is a recommendation as to when you should drink it for the best taste. Over time, the flavour profiles in will deteriorate which is what some refer to as ‘coffee going off’.

As soon as the beans are ground, they begin deteriorating. Exposure to the air causes ground coffee to quickly lose flavour and intensity which is why you should always store coffee in an airtight bag. The fresher your coffee is, the fresher it’s going to taste so bare that in mind when you’re buying your next bag.

So, while we know that coffee doesn’t really go off; it does lose the taste and intensity that we all love in our brew. That’s why we always recommend drinking your ground coffee within 2 weeks of receiving it and never ordering more than you need.

If you have a coffee grinder at home, it's always best to grind fresh. It's much easier to store whole bean coffee and you'll find it stays fresher for longer. You'll notice an immediate improvement in your final brew as well... there's no beating freshly ground coffee. "

You are right of course, I meant it would take a very educated palate to tell the difference, and that would be with a plain coffee, once you start adding sugar and milk etc it is less obvious, Liz sometimes likes honey in hers, I prefer demerara sugar it all changes the taste.

I looked it up though.

"

Does Coffee Go Bad If You Leave It Out?​

Technically, coffee doesn’t go off. It will never become mouldy or unsafe to consume. The best before date on a bag of coffee is a recommendation as to when you should drink it for the best taste. Over time, the flavour profiles in will deteriorate which is what some refer to as ‘coffee going off’.

As soon as the beans are ground, they begin deteriorating. Exposure to the air causes ground coffee to quickly lose flavour and intensity which is why you should always store coffee in an airtight bag. The fresher your coffee is, the fresher it’s going to taste so bare that in mind when you’re buying your next bag.

So, while we know that coffee doesn’t really go off; it does lose the taste and intensity that we all love in our brew. That’s why we always recommend drinking your ground coffee within 2 weeks of receiving it and never ordering more than you need.

If you have a coffee grinder at home, it's always best to grind fresh. It's much easier to store whole bean coffee and you'll find it stays fresher for longer. You'll notice an immediate improvement in your final brew as well... there's no beating freshly ground coffee. "
Yes sugar and milk disguise the flavour a lot .
I like a strong espresso, don't take sugar or milk . Getting a good espresso in France is nigh on impossible. But if you want a big milky coffee just ask for cafe grande .

We did that and didn't like it at first but got used to it after a few days, we did have fun in some places trying to explain a Latte, we resisted the arm waving and shouting cos we am nice bears.

If I'm a coffee snob, then I'm a coffee snob -- but I really can tell the difference between fresh ground coffee and stuff that was ground only a day previously. Grinding releases oils and aromatics; the latter evaporate leaving the coffee to taste 'dead'. The grinder also makes a huge difference to taste, as does the brewing method and some coffees suit some methods but not others. I use different coffees for espresso than I do for Aeropress and so far I've only found one coffee that works acceptably for both methods (Lavazza Oro).
However, being able to tell the difference is a curse rather than a blessing. I typically drink tea at cafés unless they have a barista because it's harder to murder tea than coffee. Even bean-to-cup machines rarely do a decent job.

If I'm a coffee snob, then I'm a coffee snob -- but I really can tell the difference between fresh ground coffee and stuff that was ground only a day previously. Grinding releases oils and aromatics; the latter evaporate leaving the coffee to taste 'dead'. The grinder also makes a huge difference to taste, as does the brewing method and some coffees suit some methods but not others. I use different coffees for espresso than I do for Aeropress and so far I've only found one coffee that works acceptably for both methods (Lavazza Oro).
However, being able to tell the difference is a curse rather than a blessing. I typically drink tea at cafés unless they have a barista because it's harder to murder tea than coffee. Even bean-to-cup machines rarely do a decent job.
Whatever ;) ;) Snob is very much the wrong worm, of course, Geoff, knowledgable is better, a bit like a wine buff, I disagree with you about tea though, it is so variable, I stopped drinking it about 12 years ago, I can't even stand the smell of the stuff now, Liz is a Tea Pot, she can drink it any old how but I went on to Mint tea and carry a few bags in the car and get a cup of hot water.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back