Simple things that make a difference

I do love a camping gadget the Diablo being one of my favourites for making toasties on a fire pit
IMG_1020.jpeg

My other gadget has been ok so was a Xmas present called a crimpit it makes toasties using wraps so far quite useful as we do take wraps when camping instead of bread
View attachment 132930
Not seen that before, but from the picture and the description it looks like it could make great home-made filled Cornish pasties? Would that be right?
I love a pastie but very hard to find nice none-meat ones :(

Not seen that before, but from the picture and the description it looks like it could make great home-made filled Cornish pasties? Would that be right?
Yes it makes pastie type toasties using wraps and then you can fry toast or air fry the pastie or you can put salad and tuna just seal and eat great for using up leftovers.

Last edited:
A bit far to travel, maybe; but a few years ago we were in a town called Launching Place in Victoria, Australia and saw a sign in the local baker's promising Cornish Pasties. So we bought some and also coffees and sat at one of the tables outside the shop. I took one bite and spat mine out, ... the filling was some gelatinous concoction involving sweetcorn :ugh:! I had words with the woman behind the counter and subsequently wrote a song about the experience:

[12 bar blues]
I went to Launching Place, looking for something to eat;
Went to Launching Place, looking for something to eat;
Saw Cornish Pasties there and thought I was in for a treat
I said, "Baker woman, sell a pasty to me;
Baker woman, sell a pasty to me;
And one for my missus, and another makes three"
I took my pasty and stepped out into the light;
Took my pasty and stepped out into the light;
Opened my mouth and I took a big bite (wretch, cough, spit -- "Oh shite")
Sweetcorn in my pasty, Wednesday Thursday Friday, what's this?
I said, "Baker woman, are you taking the ..."
She said, "It can't be Cornish if it ain't got no corn;
It cannot be Cornish if it ain't got no corn;
You some kind of stupid, tell me where were you born"
I said, "I come from Cornwall, where proper pasties are made;
I come from Cornwall, where proper pasties are made;
Feed one of those to Trevithick, and he'd turn in his grave!"
[Reprise]
I said, "Baker woman, are you taking the ... ... P155!"
That said, if you're ever round my way one of the 'girls' who was in the youth club Jan used to run now makes some of the best pasties in Cornwall. You can buy them in various outlets in SE Cornwall, but the largest ones are reserved for the shop "Cornish Pod" (GPS: 50.3529, -4.2336) (https://www.cornishpod.co.uk/) I'm not a great fan of vegan food, but their Cheese and Leek are really good and their Halloumi & Roasted Peppers are "to die for".

A bit far to travel, maybe; but a few years ago we were in a town called Launching Place in Victoria, Australia and saw a sign in the local baker's promising Cornish Pasties. So we bought some and also coffees and sat at one of the tables outside the shop. I took one bite and spat mine out, ... the filling was some gelatinous concoction involving sweetcorn :ugh:!
You're not really selling a reason to look it out, are you? :D

Yes it makes pastie type toasties using wraps and then you can fry toast or air fry the pastie or you can put salad and tuna just seal and eat great for using up leftovers.

Annie, you have to stop posting these things!

I have a Sportbrella now for some unknown reason.
I have a mini tabletop burner thingie now for some reason (and still waiting for the rain to stop to actually use it)
And now within the week I will 99% have a Crimpit type machine for some reason!

You're not really selling a reason to look it out, are you? :D
Re. Launching Place bakery -- more of a warning; somewhere to lay down and avoid!
Re. Cornish Pod -- probably the best pasties I've ever tasted; and that includes two of their vegan options (I haven't tried their Spinach & Feta, so those could be as good!) They even do pasties by post ...

Re. Launching Place bakery -- more of a warning; somewhere to lay down and avoid!
Re. Cornish Pod -- probably the best pasties I've ever tasted; and that includes two of their vegan options (I haven't tried their Spinach & Feta, so those could be as good!) They even do pasties by post ...
There is a nice Ginsters Quorn Pastie that is the nicest one of its type I have come across. I picked up some Jamacian Patties (spicy caribbean version of the Cornish Pastie) from Lidl last week that look interesting. Gave one a quick go and it was not bad even though I microwaved it (NOT the way to heat pastry!) so looking forward to trying one of those heated properly.

If you like a Pie as well, then Sweeney Todds in Reading have a fantastic range of Pies. I would always buy some to take home when I was in Reading after I moved away either East or West.
Not been there since I moved North though and as a now non-meat eater, their selection holds a lot less interest of course.

I am not a great fan of pastry, but do like a Cornish but not found any decent ones around here, my weakness is some Samosas that a local shop sells, made in Dewsbury, sadly they only come as far as Saltaire, not Keighley, £1 each but great frozen and reheated in the air fryer for a few minutes.

As I'm the only one who drinks coffee... (and I don't really like instant).

Took me a while to hunt a good one down, but a top quality "gadget" bought off eBay for not much money a few months ago.

Grinds the beans as course or fine as you want.
Works an absolute dream, needs no power source (just a few seconds of elbow grease) and takes virtually no storage space in the van ;)(y)

s-l1600-36.jpg

I said, "I come from Cornwall, where proper pasties are made;
I come from Cornwall, where proper pasties are made;
Feed one of those to Trevithick, and he'd turn in his grave!"

A true Cornwall person calls it "tiddy oggy"

An ex Girl friend came from Cornwall and taught me a few words so that locals wouldn't call me an "Emmet" .🐜🐜🐜

As I'm the only one who drinks coffee... (and I don't really like instant).

Took me a while to hunt a good one down, but a top quality "gadget" bought off eBay for not much money a few months ago.

Grinds the beans as course or fine as you want.
Works an absolute dream, needs no power source (just a few seconds of elbow grease) and takes virtually no storage space in the van ;)(y)

View attachment 132945
C'mon, spill the beans: which grinder is that? FWIW, I've been looking for a decent grinder for the van for some time. I've got a Hario mini hand grinder, but that takes three to five minutes of cranking to get enough for an Aeropress. So I bought a battery-powered one that's rechargeable via USB-C and that does almost as good a job as the Hario is about the same time, although it (rather than me) is providing the effort!

1720523650464.png
1720523815508.png

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back