Simple things that make a difference

My fishing brolly. Best buy for me

Attachments

• 20240707_144003.jpg
    20240707_144003.jpg
    714.6 KB · Views: 39
Just wondering what simple purchases people have made for their vans that have made all the difference?
I recently got one of these, makes a big difference when trying to fill the van on your own. Now the hose doesn’t come out the fill point when your 15ft away turning the tap on!

free image hosting website
I bought one of those but my van has a Fiamma inlet and that adapter doesn't fit. The correct one costs over £20 but I found a short length of hose on a Gardenia connector usually stays put while filling up.
Here's a link to an Amazon page that lists mine with links to five other varieties that together should fit most:

Ball Bungees !

Not a marital aid but a device with many practical applications

So far ...
a) Tie down for the tarpaulin on the trailer.
b) Fixing the bottom of the safari room to the peg
c) Parking brake on the eTrike (holds the front brake lever on).
d) Holds the watering can in place.

ballbungee.png

Shure headphone and earphones, simply couldnt have lived through lockdown or the last 2 years without them

Just wondering what simple purchases people have made for their vans that have made all the difference?
I recently got one of these, makes a big difference when trying to fill the van on your own. Now the hose doesn’t come out the fill point when your 15ft away turning the tap on!

free image hosting website
Yes they`re very handy,i can fill the tank while i`m checking the battery.

On the tank filling bit, we just have a short length of hose which goes right down into the tank. It’s a bugger if you try to fill it without. Doesn’t even like a full watering can without spitting some out.

Cheers

H

I am surprised nobody has put a ridge monkey on here as everyone seems to love them I bought two but wasn’t that impressed so gave them away prefering a big standard frying pan with a lid.

We've got flag bungees, Fiamma awning hangars (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004N6WECY), wind blockers, silver screen, and a bin bag stand (https://amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001DCNAU6) but the thing that's impressed us most recently is our Ridgemonkey XL...

Definitely the Ridgemonkey for cooking.

Ridgemonkey also do a Bivvylite. We have something similar (but much cheaper) and it's fantastic for emergency lighting either indoors or outdoors and the batteries last for several days.

We often have ours on all night on low as a night light for the dogs.

Ok, so we don't have a Ridgemonkey,... should we? Owners, what does it do so well? Annie, what didn't you like about it, or why do you think you didn't find it useful?
I feel I may have Ridgemonkey FOMO🤔🤔

Ok, so we don't have a Ridgemonkey,... should we? Owners, what does it do so well? Annie, what didn't you like about it, or why do you think you didn't find it useful?

I think they're brilliant Merl, but then I do a bit of tent camping on the bike and they're perfect for that.

In my opinion they are great for cooking up a breakfast for one or any meal come to that but they were originally designed to make toasties and they do it very well. There are loads of RidgeMonkey recipes on Youtube but to be honest if you are in a motorhome with a cooker you don't really need one. I just like using it!

We have one but hardly use it. Useful for making 2 omelettes.

It's such a small handy piece of kit that it's not a bother to carry it around though, just in case.

When closed it doesn’t seal well enough so when you flip it over if your not quick enough the juice or oil spills out all over your cooker I did find a cheaper one online that had silicone round the edge that formed a better seal but didn’t buy one as reading revues the non stick was rubbish.

I am surprised nobody has put a ridge monkey on here as everyone seems to love them I bought two but wasn’t that impressed so gave them away prefering a big standard frying pan with a lid.
FWIW, I mentioned our Ridgemonkey on the post before yours. We also have a cast iron skillet for frying but the Ridgemonkey wins most of the time because it splits into two frying pans that can fit on our stove top together whereas the skillet takes up so much space that the stove might as well only have a single burner! That said, if we're on EHU, we cook bacon, sausages, chicken pieces, etc. in a small air fryer (clicky link).
The original Ridgemonkey seems too small for us. We have the XL size and that comfortably fits a full-sized sandwich. It splits into two, so you can (say) cook bacon in one half while frying an egg or two in the other... or you can fit the two halves together to create a mini-oven. It can even be used as a toaster at a push (although the grille of our oven does a better job). It's compact and lightweight and comes with a neoprene bag so it doesn't rattle around with other pots and pans. It was originally designed for anglers to use at the waterside. Another advantage is that in 'oven mode' it retains any fat that would spit out of a normal frying pan.
When closed it doesn’t seal well enough so when you flip it over if your not quick enough the juice or oil spills out all over your cooker
This is an issue if what you're cooking contains a lot of liquid. However, a quick fix is to flip the RM over a sheet of kitchen towel to catch any 'emissions'.

My other gadget has been ok so was a Xmas present called a crimpit it makes toasties using wraps so far quite useful as we do take wraps when camping instead of bread
IMG_1019.jpeg

When closed it doesn’t seal well enough so when you flip it over if your not quick enough the juice or oil spills out all over your cooker I did find a cheaper one online that had silicone round the edge that formed a better seal but didn’t buy one as reading revues the non stick was rubbish.

Yes best used outside Annie.

I use mine with my woodgas stove. The other thing I like though is that it will cook stuff like bacon or burgers etc fairly quickly.

Yes best used outside Annie.

I use mine with my woodgas stove. The other thing I like though is that it will cook stuff like bacon or burgers etc fairly quickly.

...speaking of which the woodgas stove is one of my favourite bits of gear. Really efficient once it gets going and free fuel everywhere. Again I really only use it when tent camping but handy to have it in the van sometimes.

Mine is similar to this;

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back