Simple things that make a difference

I have a small electric grinder that we don't use now, I'd grind enough for a few weeks away and take our vintage plip plop glass topped coffee pot, but we went off it as too much of a phaph to make it.

1720524247122.png

C'mon, spill the beans: which grinder is that? FWIW, I've been looking for a decent grinder for the van for some time. I've got a Hario mini hand grinder, but that takes three to five minutes of cranking to get enough for an Aeropress. So I bought a battery-powered one that's rechargeable via USB-C and that does almost as good a job as the Hario is about the same time, although it (rather than me) is providing the effort!

View attachment 132947 View attachment 132950

Just had a quick look-up for you, Geoff.

The brand is Elmway.

Made a really quick search on Google. Here's an eBay listing, but I paid £25 for mine (free postage), but you should be able to will find one for less than the price of that particular listing.

I'm a devil for saving pennies - not mean, just careful !! Depending what I'm looking for I can spend days, weeks and even months tracking down just the right thing at the best price... ;):cool:😁

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276483612867

It really is a quality little grinder very "ergonomic".
Requires very little energy or strength to turn, grinds very quickly, simple to use and keep clean. (y)👌

Annie, you have to stop posting these things!

I have a Sportbrella now for some unknown reason.
I have a mini tabletop burner thingie now for some reason (and still waiting for the rain to stop to actually use it)
And now within the week I will 99% have a Crimpit type machine for some reason!
If you buy a crimp it make sure you get the genuine one as the cheap Chinese ones are not microwave safe and are made from cheap none food grade plastic unlike the genuine UK ones.

Annie, you have to stop posting these things!

I have a Sportbrella now for some unknown reason.
I have a mini tabletop burner thingie now for some reason (and still waiting for the rain to stop to actually use it)
And now within the week I will 99% have a Crimpit type machine for some reason!

David, you're a marketing person's dream come true... ;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just had a quick look-up for you, Geoff.

The brand is Elmway.

Made a really quick search on Google. Here's an eBay listing, but I paid £25 for mine (free postage), but you should be able to will find one for less than the price of that particular listing.

I'm a devil for saving pennies - not mean, just careful !! Depending what I'm looking for I can spend days, weeks and even months tracking down just the right thing at the best price... ;):cool:😁

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276483612867

It really is a quality little grinder very "ergonomic".
Requires very little energy or strength to turn, grinds very quickly, simple to use and keep clean. (y)👌
More cheaper for the same thing

If you buy a crimp it make sure you get the genuine one as the cheap Chinese ones are not microwave safe and are made from cheap none food grade plastic unlike the genuine UK ones.
I was tempted by a £20 twin pack including some bowls but I noticed metal pins for hinges, so no good for microwave.
There is a £30 twinpack for the genuine crimpit which I think will be heading my way ....

But first a question .... A good test for a product is "if you lost it/broke it, would you buy a replacement?" Would you get another one if someone nicked it from your van when you weren't looking ;) ?

Wot no sugar!

and Tonic water..... should be Soda water.

Tonic,lime,ice and mint and Bacardi = Mojito
Perhaps the tonic is a British thing. Even so, every recipe for Mojito I've seen includes a little sugar and the fizz comes from either club soda or soda water. Here's an example:

Mojito recipe​

🍹🌿
** Servings: 1 **
Time: 05:00
Prep Time: 05:00
Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, to taste
  • 4 leafy sprigs of fresh mint, each about 5 to 6 inches long
  • 2 ounces white rum
  • 3/4 ounce lime juice
  • Ice
  • Club soda or sparkling water (I like Topo Chico)
  • Entirely optional: 1 to 2 drops of Angostura bitters
  • 1 lime round, for garnish
Instructions:
  1. In a sturdy, heavy-bottomed, tall cocktail glass, add the sugar and 3 sprigs of the mint (we’ll reserve the last sprig for garnish).
  2. Muddle the mint with the sugar about 5 to 10 times, until the mint is very fragrant (not so much that the mint completely falls apart).
  3. Pour in the rum and the lime juice, and gently stir a few times to help dissolve the sugar. Fill the glass with ice.
  4. Fill the glass with club soda nearly to the top. Gently stir in a circular motion to combine, then use your spoon to drag some of the muddled mint higher up into the glass.
  5. Taste, and stir in more sugar if desired. Add a drop or two of bitters, if desired.
  6. To garnish, place the lime round in the glass. Gently clap the remaining sprig of mint between your palms (this releases some of the oils) and tuck it into your glass, leaving the top exposed. Serve cold, with a wide straw.
Tips:
  • Use fresh mint leaves for the best flavor and aroma.
  • Adjust the amount of sugar to your taste.
  • Experiment with different types of rum for varying flavor profiles.
  • For a more intense mint flavor, use more mint leaves or muddle them for a longer time.
Nutrition Information:
  • Calories: 158
  • Fat: 0.1g
  • Saturates: 0g
  • Carbs: 4.6g

if there is one cocktail I find overrated it is the Mojito. Never had a nice one - and that includes ones served in Cuba.

Tonic,lime,ice and mint and Bacardi = Mojito

Nope ...... Soda ; Lime; White Rum and Sugar = Mojito

Appropriately, I was taught the recipe in Cuba as almost all of the ingredients are indigenous to the island and its origins can be traced to Cuba and the 16th-century cocktail El Draque. Named for Sir Francis Drake, the English sea captain and explorer who visited Havana in 1586, El Draque was composed of aguardiente (a cane-spirit precursor to rum), lime, mint and sugar.

Eventually, rum replaced aguardiente and then lengthened with thirst-quenching club soda to create a delicious, lighthearted cocktail.
The name was changed to the Mojito.

I have visited Hemingway's favorite bar "La Bodeguita del Medio" in Havana (Habana to the locals and pedantic members of this group) but I was taught the receipt in Holguin province.

I stopped drinking them when I was diagnosed with Diabeties so I might give your healthy version a try.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:224)

merl, number14, trevskoda, Tonybvi, Scotia, Jo001, mark61, maingate, groyne, Makzine, Boris7, jann, pamjon, ajb70, belbri, REC, barryd, jagmanx, Bouydog, Charlynch, Val54, Steve and Julie, RichardHelen262, AllanD, ian81, TeamRienza, Bigshug, trixie88, alcam, davep10000, colinm, Geek, NSY, guerdeval, noah and nelly, TJBi, Robmac, Nesting Zombie, oppy, Topmast, Monkeybrand, Dezi, aross, Canalsman, korky, andyjanet, cornish hymer, Rod, Mossystone, wildebus, winks, n brown, hmssnake, jeanette, campervanannie, 1 Cup, AdriaTwin, clarkpeacock, GMJ, ricc, myvanwy, jacquigem, hamsterberg27, st3v3, Ted, Alberto, rugbyken, Heppy, Tim120, 1807truckman, saxonborg, ironman, linkshouse, bdastu, Norfolk NewBoy, V1nny, iandsm, mygrassisblue, Herbenny, Pudsey Bear, Curly, mariesnowgoose, Gerry Attrick, RichyP, ewen, witzend, Carrerasax, Okta, Winger, andromeda, GeoffL, exwindsurfer, r4dent, ramblefrog, kevlakes, CHAIRMAN, chrishunter, Fazerloz, DTF, Moonraker 2, alwaysared, Firefox, The Jacks, Rogerdodge, Tartarus, calvo, Del668, Obanboy666, Shorty, Budgie, Livotlout, Neckender, Debroos, McHazy, izwozral, suzesunflower, iampatman, denmar, MrMole, caledonia, JVG, Christineboots, seagoon, smg, BM48, outdoorellen, Hughendon, RJH, vtwinner, davef, Lizzo, CWH, Rumour, hayhiker, CleverTrevorUK, Lindaforde, Owlsnest56, b0p, sludgesurfer, Team ST, SallyW, Nigel18, Elfit, TonyandJo, knowledgeseeker, Nomad Nelly, Doddy6, Squeegee, VandA, euro28, wrp, WingNut, Dave7284, Windy6, Dromengro, dvla3336, FiL, Rodders1234, Wully, cooperman, mjvw, MartinFife, royh28, julesanian, Bazza1509, adriandp, rambrose, longtoedsloth, 2cv, Owlhouse, campnomad, marchie, Gadabout2, Ex Greeny, 955itriple, UFO, gripseven, Lee, Mikebike, The black dug, Servo, zzr1400tim, Mpdyork, Murgzie, RSD7a, molly 2, Chip, Geoff C, Sharon the Cat, mistericeman, lthoel2, Tezza33, Trotter, Bat21, Nabsim, Dowel, barge1914, Rivertowy, polo99, Arnold, Ched, MikeRS, Treguddick, gilsof31, Ken Parsons, PopesOnTour, Rob H, Ayuplad, gemmat, nitram, Moocher, Motoroamer, Jiwawa, Sue Paskins, jaybeeonline, Harrytherid, Alf, beegeew, Keri, EllieM, Mabel, gasgas, kippaxblue, roddew,
Back