Returning from abroad with out of date MOT

Tookey

Hi,

On returning from abroad with an out of date MOT do you have any leeway with getting your new MOT done without the first motorway smart camera sending you a fine?

For people that go traveling for more than a year, not letting it get out of date is not an option.
Book van for MOT near home, at least you would have meet some of the requirements.

No!,
You shouldn't let it get out of date, your insurance will be invalid
Are you sure?

Copied from a site:

1. You must have valid vehicle insurance. This can often be arranged on the Internet or by phone if you are not in the UK at the time.
  2. Road Fund Licence and MOT. You will have neither of these. The best option is to take the vehicle for a prearranged MOT with a suitable garage for the date the vehicle is taken out of the port and ideally one which can make repairs in the event of a failure. You are permitted to drive to a prearranged MOT test without an existing MOT or current Road Fund Licence. Curiously there is no limitation on the distance to be driven.

Note that there may be a waiting list for MOTs. At Government testing stations run by VOSA this may be as long as 6 weeks. If your camper van is Class IV make sure that the MOT station has facilities to accept its weight. Class IV facilities are normally only for vehicles up to 3.5 tons weight

All MOT stations have a computer link to the DVLA database. As your vehicle is being re-imported you may find that it does not appear on the database. In this case the tester should issue a certificate using the VIN (or chassis) no. instead of the registration number

If your MOT has expired (and it missed the free Covid-19 extension) the way to drive it legally on your return is to book it in for an MOT test near home. Preferably just the other side of home, so you can stop off on the way to the pre-booked MOT test.

I think it can be done legally, its the door mat full of smart camera fines I don't want to have to deal with, can you imagine the paperwork 😣

Hi,

On returning from abroad with an out of date MOT do you have any leeway with getting your new MOT done without the first motorway smart camera sending you a fine?

Do you not need to apply for permanent export if you are taking a vehicle out of the UK for 12 months
Screenshot_20200930-165854_Chrome.jpg

When did your MOT expire? This may help, it’s from the Gov website
Coronavirus (COVID-19): changes to MOTs
There are some changes to MOT tests because of coronavirus (COVID-19). How this affects you depends on when your MOT is due to expire.

30 March to 31 July
Your MOT will be automatically extended for 6 months because of coronavirus.

ExampleYour vehicle’s MOT was due to expire on 3 April 2020.
This will automatically be extended to 3 October 2020. You will need to get your MOT by this date.

Apologies all, I feel I must have phrased my question poorly. I know I can do it I was just asking is there a way to get around the smart cameras with regards to my first journey from Dover to home. Avoiding all motorways and probably some roads such as the A1 seems ridiculous but I also really dont want to get involved with DVLA/no MOT/Just returned to Uk malarky....nightmare!!

sorry

For people that go traveling for more than a year, not letting it get out of date is not an option.
Book van for MOT near home, at least you would have meet some of the requirements.
You are allowed to travel to a booked MoT without one. Technically the test station can be anywhere so you could drive from lands end to John o Groats (except there no tester there 😀)
Being away for more than 12 months probably gets tricky with insurance?
So if you book a test before you get back into uk for the day or day after (because you will drive direct and leave it there overnight) and are travelling to it you have a defence.
Are the police using ANPR to routinely pick up untested vehicles?
If you know your MoT will run out before returning then get 12 months by testing before you leave.

You are allowed to travel to a booked MoT without one. Technically the test station can be anywhere so you could drive from lands end to John o Groats (except there no tester there 😀)
Being away for more than 12 months probably gets tricky with insurance?
If you know your MoT will run out before returning then get 12 months by testing before you leave.

Thats what I meant. Just before returning to UK, book up MOT near where you live.

With the current quarantine requirements going directly to a pre booked MOT would not be possible as it would endanger the testers, another thing to consider.

When you decide to come across the channel book your mot at nearest MOT station and hope it's a pass. I'd not like to chance driving home if it was very far. If I know It'll run out while I'm away I get it done before I go you can get it done at anytime you just lose a few months.

Apologies all, I feel I must have phrased my question poorly. I know I can do it I was just asking is there a way to get around the smart cameras with regards to my first journey from Dover to home. Avoiding all motorways and probably some roads such as the A1 seems ridiculous but I also really dont want to get involved with DVLA/no MOT/Just returned to Uk malarky....nightmare!!

sorry

Gaffa tape :D

sorry

I've got some Libyan numbers plates somewhere, I'll dig them out.
Got some German ones too, somewhere. :p 😂

Just don’t break down as your breakdown cover won’t cover you,
A few years ago I broke down called the AA they said someone would be with me within the hour, 30 mins later I got a call to say as my van was out of mot it shouldn’t be on the road, so they would no longer be attending to me,
I had totally overlooked the mot it was out by a few days

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back