Removing a Tracker

Surely you can illiminate any minor battery drain if it's at home either by solar or EHU, you may even be able to disarm it temporarily, just add a note to the dash to turn it back on.

I used to have to disconnect the solar in the winter on the drive as the controller used to train the battery as there was literally no sun on the drive. Robs dash mount panel might work on the front but only if it could be connected to the battery I suspect or I would have to find a way to get the hookup cable in down the side. Of course the easiest thing to do would be to just pop the bonnet and stick a charger on the battery every few weeks for a few hours in winter but I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that this would not be advisable on a modern vehicle with all the electrics connected. Can someone confirm?

Some of those are not as daft as they sound! :D

Of course the Elephant in the room is will it fit on the drive like the other one? I reckon its 1cm wider but 5cm wider in the cab with much thicker doors. At the bottom of the drive you have to get out of the passenger door and the wall does widen a bit. At my fattest I could do it in Hank with a squeeze just, Ive lost two stone since my fattest and aim to lose more. We won't know until Monday or Tuesday.
Those pipes could be moved to give possibilities even soil pipes can be moved.

My daughter (her and her family live with us) want me to buy this Trev (see the link) she even said that they would take out a mortgage to help buy it.

Thats a lot of property Darn Sarf for £650k Rob! Looks cracking. Plenty of space for motorhomes and bikes! :D You should move up here though! We could tear up those mountain passes all day long, get shitfaced after and live happily ever after! :ROFLMAO:

Those pipes could be moved to give possibilities even soil pipes can be moved.

I cant remember which is the hookup point. I think its the one at the rear on this pic. I seem to remember once hooking up Hank by chucking the cable along the gap and then leaning out of the side door and plugging it in.

I used to have to disconnect the solar in the winter on the drive as the controller used to train the battery as there was literally no sun on the drive. Robs dash mount panel might work on the front but only if it could be connected to the battery I suspect or I would have to find a way to get the hookup cable in down the side. Of course the easiest thing to do would be to just pop the bonnet and stick a charger on the battery every few weeks for a few hours in winter but I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that this would not be advisable on a modern vehicle with all the electrics connected. Can someone confirm?
if you need to charge the VB then it is under the floor of the cab passenger side and a pain to get to really, I fitted a Ctek ms5 and that happily takes care of the battery but I do plug it into the kitchen socket and have the van on EHU on the drive, modern panels usually have a diode to stop the panels draining the batteries in the dark so you should be okay on that score, but first you need to see if it will fit on the drive but I assume you will have looked at the dimensions already, so if it is much wider it willn't.

Thats a lot of property Darn Sarf for £650k Rob! Looks cracking. Plenty of space for motorhomes and bikes! :D You should move up here though! We could tear up those mountain passes all day long, get shitfaced after and live happily ever after! :ROFLMAO:

I am considering it Barry. It needs a lot of modernising but it's liveable and loads of room for a boat on a trailer which I could launch at a slipway just down the road. It is listed though so I reckon any repairs would be expensive in the future.

It's a million+ house though really so there must be a reason why it's so cheap. I reckon it will get snapped up by a developer and then mysteriously burn down.

Apparently there's a routine to be followed when disconnecting and reconnecting. Don't know how important it is to follow in reality, I've swapped my cab battery without following the above and nothing happened??From a fiat forum.

BSI (Body System Interface) Reboot Procedure (Ducato Body Control Module)

PROCEDURE FOR BATTERY DISCONNECTION

Whenever a vehicle battery has to be disconnected, switch off all equipment, interior lights etc, close the doors leaving the driver’s window open.

Switch off the ignition and remove the key and any diagnostic equipment.

Wait a full 3 minutes before disconnecting the battery.

The BSi must be allowed to go to SLEEP i.e. into "active economy mode". Do not operate any equipment on the vehicle during this time. Remember, even opening the bonnet will wake the BSi on a vehicle fitted with alarm.

If the battery is under the bonnet, open the bonnet first and leave it up.

ALWAYS disconnect any diagnostic equipment and do not operate any other vehicles in the vicinity during the 3 minute waiting period.

PROCEDURE FOR BATTERY RECONNECTION

Unless otherwise instructed by Peugeot or Product Service, you must always carry out the following procedure, often referred to as a "soft re-boot", to minimize the possibility of the BSi corrupting its own software when reconnecting the vehicles battery supply.

Ensure the procedure for battery disconnection has been adhered to and importantly all BSi functions were switched off with the driver’s window left down.

1 Close all doors
2 Remove ignition key if left in ignition
3 Reconnect battery. DO NOT open any doors
4 Wait 10 seconds
5 Switch on headlights through the driver’s window
6 Switch on ignition then start the vehicle and check system functions

So in 3 min all voltage thing like ( caps ) settle down and then it take voltage reading and looks for drain , sounds like a 1990 alarm.
NOT VERY UP TO DATE

Here you go Barry, this might help;

Oh yeah! I can just see Michelle pushing me under the van on that on a gravel drive! :ROFLMAO:

if you need to charge the VB then it is under the floor of the cab passenger side and a pain to get to really, I fitted a Ctek ms5 and that happily takes care of the battery but I do plug it into the kitchen socket and have the van on EHU on the drive, modern panels usually have a diode to stop the panels draining the batteries in the dark so you should be okay on that score, but first you need to see if it will fit on the drive but I assume you will have looked at the dimensions already, so if it is much wider it willn't.

Been reading up on it. Apparently there are jump start points under the bonnet and some have charged from there.

Seems to me the advice though is as clear as mud. Apparently in the Fiat Ducato handbook it says if you need to charge your battery take it to a fiat dealer! 😵‍💫

Can that Ctek ms5 be connected to a battery while its connected then?

Been reading up on it. Apparently there are jump start points under the bonnet and some have charged from there.

Seems to me the advice though is as clear as mud. Apparently in the Fiat Ducato handbook it says if you need to charge your battery take it to a fiat dealer! 😵‍💫

Can that Ctek ms5 be connected to a battery while its connected then?
Mine is permanently connected at the battery, it has a plug under the passenger seat which I disconnect when using the van.

Shop around

I bought an extension cable to make life easier for my back

So do you connect it to the battery without disconnecting the battery? The advice on this on the later Ducatos that I have found is you should disconnect the battery to charge it and that looks a right PIA.
It is connected all the time at the battery end under the floor and I disconnect it at the plug shown when I need to drive it.

Dunno if you can just drive off or not but the charger is left on the kitchen worktop so I move it anyway.

Sorry yes the battery is left connected to the van, no point in it not being.

It is connected all the time at the battery end under the floor and I disconnect it at the plug shown when I need to drive it.

Dunno if you can just drive off or not but the charger is left on the kitchen worktop so I move it anyway.

Sorry yes the battery is left connected to the van, no point in it not being.

What age is your van though Kev? Maybe its ok on yours but no on this Fiat Ducato?

07 I don't see any point in disconnecting the battery to charge it.

Maybe with a dumb charger but the Ctek ms5 is a smart charger.

I await the sparky boffins as I could be wrong, but both this and the 07 Relay worked this way with no problem, in fact on the self build it was the only way I had to charge up either battery, I just had an extension running to each and plugged in which ever needed it, although with the MPPT controller we had (same as your Hank one) (don't leave it in) the LB never needed to be charged on EHU.

I have looked for info on yours and so far not found any indication that it needs to be disconnected, but I suppose you could put a large master switch in the negative cable.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back