Rattagan pass

They have some of the best beaches in the world up there though, and I have seen the sun a couple of times, I even have pictures of it going down through the forth bridges last year.

1682868597388.png

They have some of the best beaches in the world up there though, and I have seen the sun a couple of times, I even have pictures of it going down through the forth bridges last year.

I like to scooter about though and you need warm weather and "lots" of sunshine for that. Anyway, I still have nightmares about fighting a seal at 3am in the morning on a beach in Orkney that tried to break into my tent. Bollox to that.

When Liz and I tented around Scotland in 2006 we stayed in the garden of an empty house, and in the early hours & we nearly shat ourselves when two cows started making a racket right next to the tent.

When Liz and I tented around Scotland in 2006 we stayed in the garden of an empty house, and in the early hours & we nearly shat ourselves when two cows started making a racket right next to the tent.

I'm not sure I would take a Cow on in a fight especially if it was one of those big Lairy wooly brown Scottish ones with the feck off horns . A Seal is pretty easy to beat in a fight though on a beach. Totally out of its depth. It came back with it's mates in the morning but I just told them to do one.

I camped in a forest in the snow at Rothiemurchus and in the early hours I heard the thunder of hooves and a Red Deer trampled straight through one side of my tent!

Heading home tomorrow been a great trip. We are only in for 9 days then off again to Banff, Cullen, Lossiemouth, Findhorn, Loch Ness, and Oban.
I have noticed two things with regards to vans on this trip, the amount of hired vans, and folk with new vans seems to have increased a lot.
Anyway apart from one day the weather has been kind to us, here’s hoping for more of the same next trip.

Heading home tomorrow been a great trip. We are only in for 9 days then off again to Banff, Cullen, Lossiemouth, Findhorn, Loch Ness, and Oban.
I have noticed two things with regards to vans on this trip, the amount of hired vans, and folk with new vans seems to have increased a lot.
Anyway apart from one day the weather has been kind to us, here’s hoping for more of the same next trip.
If heading Banff, detour (!!) to visit Peterhead Prison Museum, well worth it. Even vi's the Broch (Fraserburgh) to lighthouse museum too. Then fae Broch to Banff.

Home now, forgot to post these shots of the River going through Poolewe, we stopped there en route to Ullapool.
I had forgotten how fantastic that journey is.
There were lots of places to stop over, some of the views were fantastic.
tempImage3fDEZ3.png
tempImagekiCNZ2.png
tempImager76Xds.png

Great photos Bill. Definitely getting another van this year🫶
I think there’s a new stop over at the Corrieshallock Gorge?
Cal, there are loads of new stopovers appearing throughout the highland region. We saw plenty of landowners with signs for campers, elsan points, and I really have to applaud highland councils approach. But on the other side there are far too many motorhomes up there and that was in late April. I dread to think what it will be like in summer proper.
Lots of hired vans, one causing an accident on the A82 at the top of Loch Ness. The road was shut for three hours. Vans from the continent must make up around one in three, we saw French, Dutch, German, Belgian, Austrian, Switzerland, Italian, and even a van from the Isle of Man. It’s changed days even in my short time, must be even worse for guys like you going back many years before me. Personally I will be avoiding the NC 500 in summer. I loved our visit to the Lake District in December. The campsite at Braithwaite was almost empty, cheap £21 a night, the facilities excellent, and the weather gave us a winters wonderland everything covered in a hoar frost, looking awesome.
But on the bright side, you, especially you, will always find a wee spot up here, you know that, as I do. So get yersel back out there.

One of my all-time favourite locations.

View attachment 119427

View attachment 119428
Hi Phil, I think that might be loch Maree, (probably miles out) if it is I took a similar photo at Victoria Falls last year. But no drone we walked up a wee hill overlooking the car park. You can just spot the van to the left nestled amongst the trees. Anyway wherever it is it looks fabulous.

IMG_5311.jpeg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back