Pros and Cons of Fulltiming

Goodmorning Gang.
I was thinking last night if there was a Competent Author, who could Compile, Edit & Tidy up this Thread & add in a Cpl of other comments from other boards in to what could then be a BRILLIANT
' INTRODUCTION TO THE PROs & CONs OF VEHICLE LIFE' Guide or Book for someone contemplating This Lifestyle !. It's something I would Buy as an 'E Book',,,,Maybe Admin could Take the Royaltys to help with the site !.
Well done People, Keep it up.

As suggested earlier, Anyone got some Negative Truths of the lifestyle & From Vehicle back to Bricks comparisons !.

That's along the lines I suggest a bit back matey, Sounds good to me.

That's along the lines I suggest a bit back matey, Sounds good to me.

Oops (sheepish grin) I thought it was Stanski that brought it up. Vomit.JPG

Last edited:
i wouldn't fancy full timing in uk without a parkup where i could at least have an awning up. it's the weather that tests your resolve, and of course that can happen anywhere, but at least in southern europe there's a chance the sun will appear. our first trip to Portugal, we pulled onto the car park at Castello beach and just as the 3 kids and we were saying what a great spot, the rain started, and continued, coming horizontally off the sea,almost non-stop for 6 weeks. hard to keep the kids occupied in an ever smaller tin box !

I might be wrong and Admin will correct me if I am but I suspect he has plenty to do running the site without taking on the burden of compiling a book.

All the info on this thread is here for any member to access in the same way the "guide to wildcamping" is accessible and all the other advice, help and suggestions folk have posted.

Would the pro's and con's of fulltiming in a motorhome be of interest to a wider audience? If folk want to experience or understand the motivations of folk who actually do full time in their vans there are plenty of blogs out there and they're not hard to find. Some have even been turned into books. This is a good resource for anyone thinking of fulltiming OurTour Motorhoming Guides - Our Tour

Having said that if anyone does want to turn this thread into a book they can use my earlier comments, just keep my name and adddress out of it :)

Pat

I might be wrong and Admin will correct me if I am but I suspect he has plenty to do running the site without taking on the burden of compiling a book.

All the info on this thread is here for any member to access in the same way the "guide to wildcamping" is accessible and all the other advice, help and suggestions folk have posted.

Would the pro's and con's of fulltiming in a motorhome be of interest to a wider audience? If folk want to experience or understand the motivations of folk who actually do full time in their vans there are plenty of blogs out there and they're not hard to find. Some have even been turned into books. This is a good resource for anyone thinking of fulltiming OurTour Motorhoming Guides - Our Tour

Having said that if anyone does want to turn this thread into a book they can use my earlier comments, just keep my name and adddress out of it :)

Pat

Very true it's all here and if someone wants the information they can find it.

Would the pro's and con's of fulltiming in a motorhome be of interest to a wider audience? If folk want to experience or understand the motivations of folk who actually do full time in their
vans there are plenty of blogs out there and they're not hard to find. Some have even been turned into books. This is a good resource for anyone thinking
of fulltiming OurTour Motorhoming Guides - Our Tour

Having said that if anyone does want to turn this thread into a book they can use my earlier
comments, just keep my name and adddress out of it :

Pat

Hi Ya.
Yes I've followed & read a lot of there Posts, Adventures & Blogs over the months, it's REALLY good & informative isn't it.. Brilliant.

I'm surprised you read it or recommend it though,,,!.
As Taking what you say above fully on board
You could say that Most of what they include in their Blogs (much The same with This or any other forum) is in fact available for all to see & Research elsewhere on the web at any time, if the reader wanted to look !.

I just thought it would be a good idea to have Useful & Helpful information all in one place & easily referenced. Because as with information posted on Forums, it gets buried 300 treads 30 pages deep very quickly. & if doing something like this could bring additional funding into the forum as a result, then it's a Win Win situation I would have thought.

(Edited to hopefully make clearer,,Kinda !,,ish)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ya.
Yes I've followed & read a lot of there Posts, Adventures & Blogs over the months, it's REALLY goodx & informative isn't it.. Brilliant.

I'm surprised you read it or recommend it though,,,!.
Most of what they include in their Blogs is available for all to see & Research on the web somewhere for all to see !.
I just like the fact it's all in one place & easily referenced.

Why are you surprised i read it?

Pat

Full timing

This is what we're going for permanent van living,we've bought what we hope will be big enough,selling the house and long term touring with trips to Europe as well as all the places in the Uk that we've always wanted to see but never could make time for.
We've been short term motorhomers for 30+years so hopefully everything will be as smooth as possible but you always have a hiccup or 2 along the way,it's good to hear that people who have taken the plunge love it as much as we hope to the wife is still a little apprehensive about it and I understand that not having a permanent base is odd to some people but I can't see why as the cost of keeping one far outweighs the benefits to me we will still have a postal address and still be registered with health care anything we haven't covered will become apparent in time and can be dealt with if you can think of anything that we might need to know please let us know thanks in advance

Hi ya,
With a Sizable Heavier vehicle in the UK it may mean that some of the more wild n secluded places may be a challenge for you to fully enjoy, But with a bit of Planning & pulling on your experience gained over the years I'm sure you will be fine, I will certainly look out for you. Enjoy.

For all the full timers out there,what do you think is the best and worst of our chosen lifestyle?
For me the best is freedom....
The worst is endless rainy days,and all the difficulties that raises,especially with a dog.

This is a very interesting Thread. Call me nosey but I'd really like to know the size of the vehicles full timers are using and perhaps what facilities they have on board, if any solar power and how well it performs in the winter etc etc. Also if they're on their own or with a partner. For me although it's nice to have company after a few weeks I'd settle for a dog to chat to....

This is a very interesting Thread. Call me nosey but I'd really like to know the size of the vehicles full timers are using and perhaps what facilities they have on board, if any solar power and how well it performs in the winter etc etc. Also if they're on their own or with a partner. For me although it's nice to have company after a few weeks I'd settle for a dog to chat to....

I think you'll find people fulltiming in all sizes of wagons,I've met some in barely converted vans right thru to full size coach conversions. Mine is about six metres with all the basics,oven,grill,toilet,shower and 140 watt solar but I am hoping to upsize this year mainly to get the benefit of a fixed double bed. My solar won't cover my needs in winter so I follow the sun,its just me and the dog so there's always someone to talk to...Mind you I'll probably give it all up and book into a psych ward if he starts talking back.

Ours is a Hymer B698 - 7.5 metres long with a fixed island bed at the rear, a decent kitchen surface with three gas burners, a small gas oven (which is virtually useless) and a fridge/freezer, so we can cook anything that you can at home. In addition, we have a gas barbecue point outside the van and carry a Cadac gas bbq. The shower and toilet are separate cubicles and the shower is pretty good. Power is from two Gaslow cylinders, a 100w solar panel on the roof and mains hook-up when we are on site. Most winters we are in the Mediterranean (yesterday, the daytime temperature got up to 20C) so weather is not a major problem (although the recent floods were interesting!). We don't have any pets, so are free to go wherever we want. After nearly 15 years, we are still enjoying it (on the third motorhome now!). Company is not a problem - we tend to use the same campsite in Spain in winter and a very friendly community has built up here. On the road, there are always other like-minded people to mix with. On the other hand, if you want solitude for a while, that is easy too.

Hi ya,
I TRULY think its not so much The size of the vehicle, its HOW you use it !

Ok, as I get older I DO like maybe more of the creature comforts aboard than I could have quite happily of done without a decade or so ago, But its about the Lifestyle as a Whole, NOT just the size, Shape of Vehicle & what you have on Board. In fact I would say that From Easter to Guyfalks I spend as much time OFF of The Nest as I do ON board. Exploring wherever I have left the wheels & the surroundings, Public Buildings, Cafes Meeting people etc etc. Then From Guyfalks to Easter Probably only a third of my time is spent ON board, as I enjoy the often deserted Beaches, & more Out the way nuggets in the way of Park ups.
BTW
Lengh 9.5mt
Weight 4500 KG
NO Solar (Genny run approx 90 mins every other week).
My door always open for a chat, & Often do.
I Live well, & Want for Little.
By myself (Not through Choice, Its to do with Looks & Hunger attacks).

I have a German built A Class of just under 6 mtrs. I am travelling solo and think this is ideal for my needs.

I have a drop down 'Proper' bed, memory foam matress, which is very easy to get in but very difficult to get out of, some mornings :sleep-027:

With the bed raised (away) there is ample space to entertain friends or just kick back with a film or two.

Up on high are 300 watts of solar, adding a little something to the block of gel batteries. These are also fed by the alternator and occasional Hook Up, so I have enough electrickery for my humble needs.

A cooker (3 hobs) oven/grill/microwave (mains power currently needed) fridge and toilet/shower room complete my little home.

I like the balance of internal space with exterior size. Space to invite friends of an evening but small enough outside so that parking is not an issue and moving between locations is not a military operation!

Everything is a balance, a compromise and although my Komet is right for me, if it is lacking in an area, it is that it is not stealth. I am not sure if this will prove an issue, it has not so far but as winter turns into spring, turns into summer, I intend to be much more off grid.We shall see!

Although, still enjoying my first year and few month of FTing, I was recently chastised my one of the 'Witches of Navarna' for referring to myself still as a 'Newbie' I still have much to experience and learn but speaking at this point in time, it is the ideal one for me.

:camper:

I used a CI euro 100 5.5 metres. 4 hob and grill no oven ( that proved a pain longterm) 11o ah lB no solar separate shower toilet and a fixed bed over the roof.

I spent a lot of time working on campsites so electrics never really a problem , Off grid a few days normally summer time so electric not that important. Autumn SPring a bit chilly I would use a Coleman petrol lamp gave off heat as well as light that just took the chill off the air.

If I full timed again would I change things, yes I think is the answer for most people. Our needs and wants change. Equally still use the same van.

Channa

Size not so important then... ;-)

Hi ya,
I TRULY think its not so much The size of the vehicle, its HOW you use it !

Ok, as I get older I DO like maybe more of the creature comforts aboard than I could have quite happily of done without a decade or so ago, But its about the Lifestyle as a Whole, NOT just the size, Shape of Vehicle & what you have on Board. In fact I would say that From Easter to Guyfalks I spend as much time OFF of The Nest as I do ON board. Exploring wherever I have left the wheels & the surroundings, Public Buildings, Cafes Meeting people etc etc. Then From Guyfalks to Easter Probably only a third of my time is spent ON board, as I enjoy the often deserted Beaches, & more Out the way nuggets in the way of Park ups.
BTW
Lengh 9.5mt
Weight 4500 KG
NO Solar (Genny run approx 90 mins every other week).
My door always open for a chat, & Often do.
I Live well, & Want for Little.
By myself (Not through Choice, Its to do with Looks & Hunger attacks).

I have a static double decker bus that I use now and then with basic luxuries of a small walk-in bath / shower, office, dining area, washing machine, mains water etc but as much as I'd love to convert one that's roadworthy my experience of my current stealth mwb Sprinter re parking says I'll probably never venture beyond a lwb. I also have to consider [as living on the Isle of Man] the extra ferry costs for a long-un from home to Mainland. 9.5 metres is enviable as I guess there's space for a good washroom, storage and little chance of claustrophia setting in. Enjoy!

I have a German built A Class of just under 6 mtrs. I am travelling solo and think this is ideal for my needs.

I have a drop down 'Proper' bed, memory foam matress, which is very easy to get in but very difficult to get out of, some mornings :sleep-027:

With the bed raised (away) there is ample space to entertain friends or just kick back with a film or two.

Up on high are 300 watts of solar, adding a little something to the block of gel batteries. These are also fed by the alternator and occasional Hook Up, so I have enough electrickery for my humble needs.

A cooker (3 hobs) oven/grill/microwave (mains power currently needed) fridge and toilet/shower room complete my little home.

I like the balance of internal space with exterior size. Space to invite friends of an evening but small enough outside so that parking is not an issue and moving between locations is not a military operation!

Everything is a balance, a compromise and although my Komet is right for me, if it is lacking in an area, it is that it is not stealth. I am not sure if this will prove an issue, it has not so far but as winter turns into spring, turns into summer, I intend to be much more off grid.We shall see!

Although, still enjoying my first year and few month of FTing, I was recently chastised my one of the 'Witches of Navarna' for referring to myself still as a 'Newbie' I still have much to experience and learn but speaking at this point in time, it is the ideal one for me.

:camper:

Couldn't agree more re memory foam mattresses, I had one made to size for my rather large DIY bed and with a single lecky under-blanket blanket down the middle during the winter on the high setting at first then on low for the night it's so darn comfy that I kip in it most nights even when at home. The Postman was knocking hell out of my front door some 5 feet away the other morning and instead of scaring the life out of him thought it best to simply turn over... I had a LWB Ford Transit Herald, a lovely old girl but as I also need a van for work as you can imagine there was no room for anything work-related so hence the Sprinter exchanging all the comforts and acceptability on any site for stealth and practicality....Compromise... how true!

Hi ya,
To be Fair, I haven't really had to much of a problem regarding the Length, Ok yeah you have to Find Two Bays at Supermarkets, & Plan your Park ups & Timing for Shopping or Town/City visits But I'm in Little Hurry & No Timescales. So Not been a Problem to date.
Pixxes below are From Behind CAB seats Looking Aft. Toilet as viewd on Left Amidships, Side access & Egress Door Opposite. Then Sink with Fridge underneath beyond Toilet running aft, & Full Cooker Opposite. Then Permanent Bedroom Bulkhead with Central acsess leading to Perminant Double as Viewed on Left, With Hanging Wardrobe & Full Shower Opposite. Not Huge, But Practical & Works for My Lifestyle.
Dropbox - IMAG1535_1.jpg

Dropbox - IMAG1536.jpg

Dropbox - IMAG1608.jpg

Dropbox - IMAG1610_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ya,
To be Fair, I haven't really had to much of a problem regarding the Length, Ok yeah you have to Find Two Bays at Supermarkets, & Plan your Park ups & Timing for Shopping or Town/City visits But I'm in Little Hurry & No Timescales. So Not been a Problem to date.
Pixxes below are From Behind CAB seats Looking Aft. Toilet as viewd on Left Amidships, Side access & Egress Door Opposite. Then Sink with Fridge underneath beyond Toilet running aft, & Full Cooker Opposite. Then Permanent Bedroom Bulkhead with Central acsess leading to Perminant Double as Viewed on Left, With Hanging Wardrobe & Full Shower Opposite. Not Huge, But Practical & Works for My Lifestyle.
Dropbox - IMAG1535_1.jpg

Dropbox - IMAG1536.jpg

Dropbox - IMAG1608.jpg

Dropbox - IMAG1610_1.jpg

Like the baskets over the cab area. I'm guessing ther'e wicker so don't slip about. Look really neat.

Yes Indeed

Like the baskets over the cab area. I'm guessing ther'e wicker so don't slip about. Look really neat.

Our Lunar is 6.5m and full width.

We live in it for 6 months and I woould not consider downsizing to a narrowre PVC at say 6m

The comfort is the important factor.
Full size shower with close-able door (so shower spry does not go all over the bathroom)
Fixed bed.
Fixed Dining table
Captains (rotate-able) cab sets.
Decent enough storage and good lockers inside.
3 burner gas hob.
Fridge with Freezer above and small oven above again (which we rarely use).

We put up with the odd parking hassle and as you say plan accordingly

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back