Pros and Cons of Fulltiming

Asterix

Free Member
For all the full timers out there,what do you think is the best and worst of our chosen lifestyle?
For me the best is freedom....
The worst is endless rainy days,and all the difficulties that raises,especially with a dog.

Full-time for 6 months !

As it reads in the title.
April 1st to Sept 30th (or very near) we use the MH 100%.

Yes rainy days can be a problem but we just find somewhere suitable and sit it out.
This is helped by the fact that time-scale is not usually an issue.
Towards the end of September the nights draw in so we use a camp-site for EHU.
The rest of the summer we simply do not need EHU even though we only have 1 LB and 1 (120W) solar panel.

We are fortunate/well setup in that we make other arrangements for the winter.
We have lived like this now for 3 summers and yes IT IS GREAT.
I would not choose to full-time in the winter as even southern Europe (and North Africa) have less daylight and cold nights in mid-winter.
Yes very "wimpy"

• Problems & difficulties
Doctor, dentist, hospital appointments (parking)
Shopping in large towns (parking really)
Parking (again) when visiting friends in their homes (we seem to be unlucky in that most of our friends live in small roads with limited parking even for cars.

• Other
Mail is not a problem as I use a very good mail-forwarding agent (Boatmail).
A sensible internet solution is essential.. I use a combination of a Mi-fi device and other available wi-fi

We "wildcamp" as much as possible (80%)
We simply wash clothes by hand on a regular basis and this works well (others will prefer launderettes or camp-site facilities)

Hi

Like you, we find the best aspect of full-timing the freedom. We have always enjoyed travel, exploring new places, having new experiences, meeting new people and visiting old friends. If a place turns out to be not as enjoyable as you first thought (or if the neighbours turn out not to be friendly, you can just move on - although this rarely happens. We have been living this life since retiring nearly fifteen years ago and see no prospect of giving it up in the foreseeable future. Bad weather can be limiting but we spend our winters in the driest and warmest part of Europe - south-east Spain - so that tends to happen more in our summers than winters! We still have a house in Derbyshire, which serves as our address - so we have never had a problem registering with doctors, dentists etc. and can't really identify too many serious problems. We have "Three" mobile internet, which operates at the same rate in Europe as it does in the UK. We don't have pets, so that isn't a problem. Our children said that, being confined together in a small space, we would kill each other but it hasn't happened yet! Parking when shopping is sometimes a problem (more in England than Spain) but most supermarket car parks are accessible. If you go out for the night to the theatre, for dinner, to a football match etc, you take your home with you which means you do not have to worry abut drink-driving! Similarly, when dropping in on friends and family, you don't feel you are imposing on their hospitality because you sleep in your own home. On the whole, I could list many advantages but have to think hard to list the disadvantages.

All the best
John

Last edited:
We think that the first few weeks would be ok but after that do you start to realise the fact no grandkids or family,how would we cope with the in laws not being close to if needed as they're older?

We have always been close to our children but we all like our independence too, so not being near them for half the year is not as big a problem as it might have seemed at the start - especially with modern communication methods. It also makes the return even more enjoyable. I do admit that we miss our grandchildren when we go to Spain but similarly keep in touch and have a great time with them over the summer. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, as they say. I know this might not suit everybody but we have friends whose children are in far flung places such as Australia and they see their grandchildren less than we do.

I am also in the first few weeks of a full time lifestyle, having bought my first camper in April and enjoyed as much as possible over the summer months. I have now decided to take the plunge and live life, not just wish I was.

Although, generally quite independent and resourceful, i have also benefited from great advice, help and guidance on Wild Camping.

So, early days but so far:

I have a great pub to stay over at, canal side location, great rural area just Northwest of Wigan, close to M6 (J 27) for a transit stop over. See POI for full details :)

The landlord welcomes locals and boaters (barges) and says he would love to see Motorhomes and Campers from Wild Camping. Maybe a possible future mini meet. I think up to 6 vans would work.

Due to being this time of year, I need to stay fair close to Wigan but in January, following the New Year meet in Cheshire, I hope to move on to a CL, or similar, with EHU for winter months. Might help me do a part-dry January, lol.

Positives:

The freedom and also the uncluttered simplicity. I am still in the process of down scaling my possessions but in is getting there.

Negatives:

I am looking forward to not being on a pub car park each night, with all the temptations that brings :) atm, I would like to be on a nice CL somewhere rural but alas I am held local for now and there are no CL's local but it is a nice pub :)

Not wanting to cook, certain foods inside the confines of the camper.

Full timing

Well it does take a long time to get used to a camper from the start doesnt it. In the third year of my full timing, I was still getting used to how to do things easy considering the technical boilers, heaters etc. Ventilation is one of the most important things, and keeping the bed dry etc through a long winter, but I got mine well sorted now with various diy remedies, I now get no damp nor condensation, (only the screen maybe mornings), even though its a PVC, and enjoying the total freedom it gives. Bit cheesed off with the costs or repair costs of some units like the webasto air top 2000, damn stupid putting such expensive gear on a camper..........my sister spent £40,000 or so on a Swift 6 berth, and sold it a few months later because she could not get used to it, dah..........steve Bristol

Pros you don't have an house to maintain

Cons you don't have an house to go back to when you or your van is unwell.

I agree, I fulltimed 4 and a half years, the wet cold days drying washing I found the hardest...but you are right about a van being unwell ...Mot time particularly stressful. Limits your movements if it fails, Where do you live whilst fixed, often on the road I assure you, You don't have the toolkit to fix things effectively.

The positives no bad noisy arsehole neighbours move on as you please. Meet new people meet likeminded people.

One of the big disadvantages is if you want to go back to bricks and mortar, true full timing you fall off the radar

Channa

Hi Gang,
Well, I think there seems to be differing views on what 'Full Timing' actually is, & of course all of them could be right !.
I have 'The Nest' this is my ONLY Home & Transport. I DONT have alternative Vehicles, House or Accommodations. I move to a different location or Park up on average every other day, sometimes its only say a kilometre or so, Sometimes its a few miles, On occasions Much more it really does depend on the Geographical area that I find myself exploring at the time, & the Park ups that are available to me.
I am not going to even think about listing the Pro s, as I could HONESTLY fill pages, Most days bring brings new Knowledge, People, Places & Life experience's that I simply wouldn't of had if it wasn't for my lifestyle choice. So the PROs almost have expediential Growth, Incomparable in my limited experience to a few 'Important Priority's & General Inconvenience's' rather than Con s so will outline a few I have come across.

'The Nests' Maintenance & wellbeing.
I treat this as a Symbiotic relationship. I Do what I can for the Nest, The Nest takes Care of me. This can cost TIME & MONEY. & last year I Chose to book into a B&B for a week or so in order for The Nest to have Cam Belt & Aux Belts changed, a FULL Engine Service with Full Running Gear Check, All Fluid & Grease levels topped up, 7 New tyers, & MOT done. Yep cost me approx £2000 including the B&B. Worth every penny. & thankfully NO problems or issues since.

Park ups.
I often make do in park ups that Lorries use, sometimes Good, Sometimes not so good. But as I Move regularly Easy to put up with if needs be.

Rubbish N Toilet empting.
Never had a Problem with the Disposal of either, But Very conscious of BOTH, & the semi frequent 15-20 day Pit stops at a site Often dictate my route. More and more recently though I just POP in to use the facility's for a few quid (Cash) rather than actually stay for the night.

Water.
Have Never Run Dry, But Obviously its Always on my mind, I carry approx. 100lts that I top up at the Pit Stops, & my Portable Containers have a Permanent Home in my Ruck Sack that goes with me when out n about.

Washing.
I've got a washing machine that I use little & Often as my Water supply allows, it makes the Drying SO much easier & Often just takes overnight for the everyday things.
As for my bedding & Towels I try & do this at one of the Pit Stop overnight stays because of the massive amount of water required, I Have 3 sets of Bedding, & change them at approx 10 days ish intervals. so I find every other Pit stop is a BIG wash day. My Washing machine only takes 1 Duvet cover & 1 Pillow case at a time But only takes approx 30 mins to do per cycle. so no issue, its just a discipline.

Power.
Both 230v & 12v have never been an issue for me, as,,,,Well I Move !. & maybe Once In-between my OVERNIGHT Pit Stops I find a suitable place to run my genny for an hr while I do my washing. So Easy.

So I think the key to making the 'Cons' more easily handled is, Awareness, Routine & Discipline.
Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't have a registered address how do you go about insurance, driving licence etc. That would me my main problem as I'd find it hard to ask a friend if I could use theirs and no relatives this side of the channel.
Have often seriously thought of doing this but all the things that need a recognised permanent address are a problem?

If you don't have a registered address how do you go about insurance, driving licence etc. That would me my main problem as I'd find it hard to ask a friend if I could use theirs and no relatives this side of the channel.
Have often seriously thought of doing this but all the things that need a recognised permanent address are a problem?

Hi ya,
I have used a Mail Holding and Forwarding service for Years, (Loads around, Try Boat Mail for example) But in recent years I Have used a Friends address for any Registration purposes or Mail.
These days MOST things are actually dealt with on line with little or NO paper Correspondences required.
my Insurance, Logbook, Credit Card, Bank, Drivers Licence, are at the address I use, Never had a problem or any issues.

I agree, I fulltimed 4 and a half years, the wet cold days drying washing I found the hardest...but you are right about a van being unwell ...Mot time particularly stressful. Limits your movements if it fails, Where do you live whilst fixed, often on the road I assure you, You don't have the toolkit to fix things effectively.

The positives no bad noisy arsehole neighbours move on as you please. Meet new people meet likeminded people.

One of the big disadvantages is if you want to go back to bricks and mortar, true full timing you fall off the radar

Channa

I have known of quite a few genuine full timers that have ''fallen off the radar''and eventually gone back to a house.A lot of them were on motorhome forums and always talking about ''living the dream''but eventually became disillusioned with the life and went back to a house.By genuine full timers I mean people that have sold their property and are living full time in a motorhome,not long termers who retain a property in the UK and go on extended breaks.Full timing is fine until something goes wrong,eg one of you becomes seriously ill or worse.A genuine full timer would then be faced with a problem,but if you keep your property you can go back to your bolthole and sort things out.

We are both in a fortunate position and have the freedom and means to be able go on long trips around Europe if we wish but choose to go on short/medium term breaks because of the family,we do look after grandchildren regularly and would miss that.If and when our family circumstances change then the preferred option would be to go long terming to S.Europe for the winter months as some do on this forum.I think it safe to say that we would never sell the house and become genuine full timers,but I am full of admiration of people that do.

I have known of quite a few genuine full timers that have ''fallen off the radar''and eventually gone back to a house.A lot of them were on motorhome forums and always talking about ''living the dream''but eventually became disillusioned with the life and went back to a house.By genuine full timers I mean people that have sold their property and are living full time in a motorhome,not long termers who retain a property in the UK and go on extended breaks.Full timing is fine until something goes wrong,eg one of you becomes seriously ill or worse.A genuine full timer would then be faced with a problem,but if you keep your property you can go back to your bolthole and sort things out.

We are both in a fortunate position and have the freedom and means to be able go on long trips around Europe if we wish but choose to go on short/medium term breaks because of the family,we do look after grandchildren regularly and would miss that.If and when our family circumstances change then the preferred option would be to go long terming to S.Europe for the winter months as some do on this forum.I think it safe to say that we would never sell the house and become genuine full timers,but I am full of admiration of people that do.

To have the option of the Property Safety Net would be a Huge advantage, & Probably an ideal way of a Trouble free life.
I unfortunately haven't ! So make the best of what I've got, & loving it .

I had no bricks and mortar house sold as part of a divorce. I would suggest that if people can, then to rent out their homes etc makes a lot of sense.

The pros I think outweigh the cons and it wouldn't take me too long to go back to the lifestyle. Sadly we still live in a society that if you have no address employment becomes difficult , not registered with doctors and dentists so looking at emergency cover ..Mot time my nightmare .

I am at an age I still need to work, so the logistics become quite stressful. ( how I ended up working fairgrounds)

My biggest regret was never the lifestyle choice but having too much fun to write a diary. If I was better with words, there is a book....some peculiar things happened along the way.

I 100% don't regret what I did, I am an age getting invited to too many funerals of ex workmates that were elders, Retire and within 3 months dead...

I have no intention of dropping dead but a bit of a lottery, at least now if I did drop dead I feel I have lived life a little bit, And on a cheerier note long may that continue
Channa

Hi Gang,
Well, I think there seems to be differing views on what 'Full Timing' actually is, & of course all of them could be right !.
I have 'The Nest' this is my ONLY Home & Transport. I DONT have alternative Vehicles, House or Accommodations. I move to a different location or Park up on average every other day, sometimes its only say a kilometre or so, Sometimes its a few miles, On occasions Much more it really does depend on the Geographical area that I find myself exploring at the time, & the Park ups that are available to me.
I am not going to even think about listing the Pro s, as I could HONESTLY fill pages, Most days bring brings new Knowledge, People, Places & Life experience's that I simply wouldn't of had if it wasn't for my lifestyle choice. So the PROs almost have expediential Growth, Incomparable in my limited experience to a few 'Important Priority's & General Inconvenience's' rather than Con s so will outline a few I have come across.

'The Nests' Maintenance & wellbeing.
I treat this as a Symbiotic relationship. I Do what I can for the Nest, The Nest takes Care of me. This can cost TIME & MONEY. & last year I Chose to book into a B&B for a week or so in order for The Nest to have Cam Belt & Aux Belts changed, a FULL Engine Service with Full Running Gear Check, All Fluid & Grease levels topped up, 7 New tyers, & MOT done. Yep cost me approx £2000 including the B&B. Worth every penny. & thankfully NO problems or issues since.

Park ups.
I often make do in park ups that Lorries use, sometimes Good, Sometimes not so good. But as I Move regularly Easy to put up with if needs be.

Rubbish N Toilet empting.
Never had a Problem with the Disposal of either, But Very conscious of BOTH, & the semi frequent 15-20 day Pit stops at a site Often dictate my route. More and more recently though I just POP in to use the facility's for a few quid (Cash) rather than actually stay for the night.

Water.
Have Never Run Dry, But Obviously its Always on my mind, I carry approx. 100lts that I top up at the Pit Stops, & my Portable Containers have a Permanent Home in my Ruck Sack that goes with me when out n about.

Washing.
I've got a washing machine that I use little & Often as my Water supply allows, it makes the Drying SO much easier & Often just takes overnight for the everyday things.
As for my bedding & Towels I try & do this at one of the Pit Stop overnight stays because of the massive amount of water required, I Have 3 sets of Bedding, & change them at approx 10 days ish intervals. so I find every other Pit stop is a BIG wash day. My Washing machine only takes 1 Duvet cover & 1 Pillow case at a time But only takes approx 30 mins to do per cycle. so no issue, its just a discipline.

Power.
Both 230v & 12v have never been an issue for me, as,,,,Well I Move !. & maybe Once In-between my OVERNIGHT Pit Stops I find a suitable place to run my genny for an hr while I do my washing. So Easy.

So I think the key to making the 'Cons' more easily handled is, Awareness, Routine & Discipline.
Enjoy

I admire and envy you and your lifestyle, I wish I had the courage and financial security to be able to do the same, but I haven't. However, I think your post is extremely encouraging to anyone who has the gumption to give it a go (and, hopefully, succeed at it.)

If there was a "Best Answer" button I'd be pressing it.

I admire and envy you and your lifestyle, I wish I had the courage and financial security to be able to do the same, but I haven't. However, I think your post is extremely encouraging to anyone who has the gumption to give it a go (and, hopefully, succeed at it.)

If there was a "Best Answer" button I'd be pressing it.

Thank you for that,
My philosophy is
'If you're going to do something, Then give it 100%'
You then Fail or Succeed in relation to your efforts.
It's if you DON'T fully commit that the problems arise.
As far as Financing my Lifestyle choice is concerned, I had 10k of Savings when I Turned the Engine Key for the first time, My spend is coming out at an Average of £600 PCM over the last 18months or so_Obviously it varies month to month when MOT, Ins, Tax & suchlike is due, But Understand this is ABSOLUTELY TOTAL AVERAGE EXPENDITURE !.
I am lucky enough to have topped up the coffers at
Farms, Marinas & Properties Even some Painting & Decorating which I ABSOLUTELY LOVE while on my Travels on occasions during this time that has helped
tremendously. As have My Self Reliant Background & Skills.
My current status is -
The Nest is Taxed, MOTd, Insured, In good order & Maintained, With a Full Tank of Diesel + 5ltr Reserve, Full Tank of Water + 10ltr Reserve, Half Tank of Gas + Full Reserve Bottle. Genny has Full
Tank + 5ltr Reserve, My Food n Donut Cupboards are Full to Bursting (Just done a BIG Supermarket shop), My Washing is up to date & I've got the Map book on my lap to plan today's route, A Mug of Fresh Coffee on the side, Still got Money in the Bank & a Smile on my Face.
To be Absolutely honest there's only Two things that are missing in my life that would Complete me as a Man again. A Partner & a Dog, Thats honestly the only Emptyness or Negative in my life at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for that,
My philosophy is
'If you're going to do something, Then give it 100%'
You then Fail or Succeed in relation to your efforts.
It's if you DON'T fully commit that the problems arise.
As far as Financing my Lifestyle choice is concerned, I had 10k of Savings when I Turned the Engine Key for the first time, My spend is coming out at an Average of £600 PCM over the last 18months or so_Obviously it varies month to month when MOT, Ins, Tax & suchlike is due, But Understand this is ABSOLUTELY TOTAL AVERAGE EXPENDITURE !.
I am lucky enough to have topped up the coffers at
Farms, Marinas & Properties Even some Painting & Decorating which I ABSOLUTELY LOVE while on my Travels on occasions during this time that has helped
tremendously. As have My Self Reliant Background & Skills.
My current status is -
The Nest is Taxed, MOTd, Insured, In good order & Maintained, With a Full Tank of Diesel + 5ltr Reserve, Full Tank of Water + 10ltr Reserve, Half Tank of Gas + Full Reserve Bottle. Genny has Full
Tank + 5ltr Reserve, My Food n Donut Cupboards are Full to Bursting (Just done a BIG Supermarket shop), My Washing is up to date & I've got the Map book on my lap to plan today's route, A Mug of Fresh Coffee on the side, Still got Money in the Bank & a Smile on my Face.
To be Absolutely honest there's only Two things that are missing in my life that would Complete me as a Man again. A Partner & a Dog, Thats honestly the only Emptyness or Negative in my life at the moment.

Great post,

I would go for a dog,they're much easier to train and do as they are told.:lol-053:

hard hat on awaiting incoming from half of our members :scared:

anybody who'd like to fulltime but can't afford it should look at casual employment. like house sitting ,dog sitting/walking. fruit and veg picking, holiday let maintenance [those lovely white villas don't stay white on their own ! ]
a lot of jobs like this have other perks, like being able to park in the grounds and have use of the pool, washing machine etc.

Great post,

I would go for a dog,they're much easier to train and do as they are told.:lol-053:

hard hat on awaiting incoming from half of our members :scared:

Thought that myself but thought I'd better keep it zipped.;)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back