Pros and Cons of Fulltiming

SOOOO,
As some might know, I’m a Full Time Livaboard & Have Been for many years now.
& as such, I don’t really view ‘The Nest’ as hopefully making any money for me if & when we part company or even retaining it’s value if I’m honest, Being in & Using a Live in vehicle has probably de valued it !,,,
No, For me it’s all about the The partnership being Safe, Practical & Comfortable while I am the custodian enabling me to go about my Zombie business on a daily basis, So with that in mind -
Since July last year I TRULY haven’t used my Gas Hob, & it’s been EVEN LONGER since using my Oven!, & as some may recall I haven’t used my Gas fire for YEARS now & toyed with taking that out bigining of last year !. So am asking myself ‘Do I actually need them?, & Why am I dedicating such a big valuable space & Payload in The Nest to items that I just don’t use !. So I’m seriously back to the ‘Shall I get rid’ quandary !.
View attachment 61163

View attachment 61164

It’s funny what you think about when it’s Literally Blowing a Gale outside with exceptional Gusts, Raining & I’m Sat Snug n Warm on The Nest Having just finished eating my Toasted Minuite steak & Mushroom Crusty Doorstop Sandwich & am enjoying my Hot Filter Coffee while looking at the appliances that DIDNT contribute to making or creating my current Contentment & Snugness, it’s a bit like Having a Dog & Barking yourself !.

So,
When was the last time YOU used YOUR Oven or is there anything else that you have,,,& DONT use ?.

If you're not intending to sell in the foreseeable future then deffo throw out anything not being used,first thing I did when I got mine was to chuck out the table and a captain's chair. What I've noticed with motorhomes is how much seating they have,for a fulltimer on my own I've no need to seat 10 people,I'd much rather have space and leg room.
It may devalue the nest,but for a fulltimer you've probably had more than your money out of it, especially in rent/mortgage payments,it's your home so make it suit you,not a potential future buyer.
I use my oven,hob and grill every day,can I ask how you cook,make a cuppa etc?

I would get rid of the oven if you don't use it, that would give you another cupboard. If you haven't used the fire this winter with all the cold weather then I guess you never are going to use it. Not sure about the hob as that seriously cuts down your cooking options doesn't it? And it would mean replacing all the work top in which case while you are doing that you could swap it for a double or even single burner to give you more space.

how does this portable washing machine work........does it work on elec. or do you have do manage it manually .....does it spin etc. how much laundry will it take.......do you have to fill it with hot water first.....
would be interesting to know......my get one for home......as i dont have too much laundry. and did away with my normal domestic one a few years ago,,,,

Snip-
can I ask how you cook,make a cuppa etc?
Snip-

Well, When I arrive somewhere I like to have a wander & try out the local Cafe, Garden Centers, Marinas, Gardens, POIs Even Supermarkets for a few cuppa s & Or a meal ! -
(Posted LOADS in the past, But here is the last one from Heathfield)
What a Morning

Whilst Driving I have my Cab Foot/Floor heating on -
When I have my ‘Site Fill up n Dump’ Stop about every 10ish nights I can usually plug in on EHU or if wilding at a suitable Park up, I can put my Genny on for 10 mins (or longer if convenient & I have washing to do) to then use -
C258BFC5-B5D1-4491-9945-6FDCF2C0FAA0.jpg
OR
D25FA254-700F-45C2-9E56-72235736BB9A.jpg

I have my Trusty ‘Nesty’ For Heat when Parked up -
9B9292C8-E91C-49F9-9221-E93505F0DBAB.jpg
FF9A4ACC-6329-4E73-AB8B-C7ADC38195C6.jpg
I also Have ‘Nesty’ to Boil water when Parked up for Tea, Coffee, Cuppa SoupHot Chocolate -
819F8BED-7AAE-4A69-AA3A-F0E641DD8F26.jpg
IF NEEDS BE then I have a single burner cheap suitcase type canister cooker as well for emergency or Back up. But haven’t used this since I bought it two years ago.

I have posted all the stuff on the washing machine in this or othe threads & don’t want to bore people so have a rummage but get back to me if you can’t find it Trixie88

Attachments

• 0D6CA849-27DA-4DCB-BFD4-9B4ECA2F24A0.jpg
    0D6CA849-27DA-4DCB-BFD4-9B4ECA2F24A0.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 236
Last edited by a moderator:
So, I’ve been a full time live-aboard for 4 months now, having previously never set foot on a motor home (& of course I chose the Winter to start this life experience)
The first thing that is apparent are my developing Super Live-Aboard Senses that I now call ‘NESTDAR’

These are the things I have learned so far....

- How to reduce my entire wardrobe (incl shoes & boots, essentials, keepsakes, nic-naks & toiletries) into 2 small cases & then to fit said contents into even smaller cupboards & storage places aboard.
- When on the road, take every opportunity to fill up containers at suitable water points. When exploring POI locations & park ups on foot, never go ANYWHERE without the necessities of an empty 5 litre water container, small length of hose pipe with funnel attached at one end, small folding saw & wire cutters in my back pack, that apparently I HAVE to carry, it’s the Law!
- How to collect & filter rain water, stream water, lake water & more recently, snow, to top the main water tank & auxiliary bottles up.
- To put empty wrappers, within empty packets, within empty boxes, then stamp on said boxes, this process repeated with cans, which then goes in the CLEAR plastic rubbish bags.
To be as mindful when filling the BLACK plastic bags, which are then stored together with the clear bags as described above, in the big locker under the bed, ready for disposal when the opportunity arises.

That concluded my probation period,
I then actually ascended to Level 1!

- Having learned to be comfortable contributing to fill the cassette in close quarters (with the radio OFF!)
I now know to take every opportunity to look for & use suitable cassette ‘dump’ points & facilities no matter how much or how little the cassette has been used but if necessary & no other opportunity exists, how to then select a suitable site to dig a hole 1 & a 1/2 times the size of the cassette, pour SLOWLY & backfill, EVEN MORE SLOWLY!
- With my now ever heightening Nestdar skills, spot & then collect suitable dead branches, standing brush & discarded wood, CARRY BACK TO NEST (again the Law apparently!) then prepare as kindling or burning wood using hand axe or chainsaw.
- To ‘prepare’ the Nest for UP TO 30 minutes in the morning & 60 minutes in the early evening of ‘generator time.’
This typically entails plugging in EVERYTHING that needs to be used, charged up or plugged in & double checking this before actually clicking the ‘Generator On’ button, then having a shower, filling flasks with boiling water, cooking breakfast & dinner respectively, then washing up, before clicking the ‘Generator Off’ button.

I am currently on Level 2, my training advances to include...
passing himself the remote, cans of cider from the fridge & donuts apparently....! Whoo Hoo, the fun just keeps coming.

I know a few in camper vans on the seafront here who pay there parking fees and can claim it back on housing benefit
But they have to pay first and submit the tickets.
They are Fulltimers

Wow! How does that work then? It's amazing the things you think would be impossible!

So, I’ve been a full time live-aboard for 4 months now, having previously never set foot on a motor home (& of course I chose the Winter to start this life experience)
I am currently on Level 2, my training advances to include...
passing himself the remote, cans of cider from the fridge & donuts apparently....! Whoo Hoo, the fun just keeps coming.

So, Hen, are you advancing beyond Level 2 yet?

This thread is fascinating and NZ's posts in particular are really interesting & useful! :)

BTW, NZ's full time van looks amazing - I could surely live full time in something like that.
NZ: what type of van is it? 9.5 metres sounds pretty big. My first camper was an old Mercedes 811D converted (not by me!) 'snap on tools' van, which I loved but was way too much maintenance & expense to keep running properly, especially when I had no mechanical knowledge whatsoever!

I'd be fine driving something as big as yours, NZ, but I'm afraid my other half's spatial awareness falls a bit short - he would have it battered about and be demolishing buildings, walls, bridges, other vehicles etc. in no time ...!! lol ;)

Wow! How does that work then? It's amazing the things you think would be impossible!

I think someone is pulling Chrismilos leg...when I fulltimed I looked into this ,,needs to be a landlord with a rental agreement and utilities stripped out

Channa

BTW, NZ's full time van looks amazing - I could surely live full time in something like that.
NZ: what type of van is it? 9.5 metres sounds pretty big. My first camper was an old Mercedes 811D converted (not by me!) 'snap on tools' van, which I loved but was way too much maintenance & expense to keep running properly, especially when I had no mechanical knowledge whatsoever!

I'd be fine driving something as big as yours, NZ, but I'm afraid my other half's spatial awareness falls a bit short - he would have it battered about and be demolishing buildings, walls, bridges, other vehicles etc. in no time ...!! lol ;)

Hey You,,Hi Ya !...
Thank you for your comments ref My home The Nest, as I’ve said in the past I think of it as a Symbiotic relationship we have, we take care of each other when we can, & This gives ALOT of confidence as we go about our Everyday life together.
It’s a 1996 Peugeot Boxer Base, With Autotrail Chieftain Coachworks. It’s a tad over 29ft long, a Smidge Under 8ft wide from Wingmirror Tip to Wingmirror Tip, a Nudge Over 11ft High to the top of the Flue Rain cap & around the 5Ton in Weight when Wet n Loaded. I have found that all these Tads, Nudges, & Smidges Just makes for a more comfortable life.
It just drives like a van really, just a bit slower on getting going & Takes a Bit Longer to Stop !, Again that’s something else we share these days, But I’m sure you would have NO problem driving it & after an hour behind the wheel you will be a Pro,,,Maybe not ‘quite’ as easy for your other half though!!.
I REALLY liked The EX Snapon vans, what happened to yours ?.
Are you Full timing now ?.
Did you ever get a Bike again?.
Have a Great Day, Catch you soon.

Hey You,,Hi Ya !...
Thank you for your comments ref My home The Nest, as I’ve said in the past I think of it as a Symbiotic relationship we have, we take care of each other when we can, & This gives ALOT of confidence in our Everyday life.
It’s a 1996 Peugeot Boxer Base, With Autotrail Chieftain Coachworks. It’s a tad over 29ft long, a Smidge Under 8ft wise from Wingmirror Tip to Wingmirror Tip, a Nudge Over 11ft High to the top of the Flue Rain cap & around the 5Ton in Weight when Wet n Loaded. I have found that all these Tads, Nudges, & Smidges Just makes for a more comfortable life.
It just drives like a van really, just a bit slower on getting going & Takes a Bit Longer to Stop !, But I’m sure you would have NO problem driving it & after an hour behind the wheel you will be a Pro,,,Maybe not ‘quite’ as easy for your other half though!!.
I REALLY liked The EX Snapon vans, what happened to yours ?.
Are you Full timing now ?.
Did you ever get a Bike again?.
Have a Great Day, Catch you soon.

Morning NZ :)

Thanks for the info, very interesting. I've been looking around at vans (dreaming, like Herbenny!) for a while now and the Autotrail Chieftain just happens to be the model that seems to appeal to me more than others. They provide a lot of space & comfort for the money and, for me, in terms of finding a near-perfect layout they're not bad at all. I understand the only major problem they have is leaking - but then so do lots of other coachbuilds! Even though our old Autosleeper Legend is a bit battered & worn I do love its construction & layout for the size. It's spoilt me when it comes to looking at other makes - and the monocoque shell means no roof leaks! In an ideal world I'd get a more modern, much bigger Autosleeper, but they're an extortionate price and out of my league.

I sold the merc snap on to a chap down in Devon whose good friend used to service that type of van so no problems servicing etc. Must admit he got a bargain & sold it on 3 months after for £4k more - nice profit! :) I remember being indundated with emails & texts from all over the place when I was selling it. Think they are quite desirable if you know how to maintain them.

Never got another bike, but to be honest I feel sort of 'been there, done that' etc. Looking for a new challenge - like full timing in a camper! ;)

I am not surprised about the old Merc being desirable ideal to convert if you are mechanically minded can weld etc etc otherwise can be a bit of a money pit

I know of one sat in Germany but lad wont sell it

Channa

So, Hen, are you advancing beyond Level 2 yet?

This thread is fascinating and NZ's posts in particular are really interesting & useful! :)

Hi MSG,

apparently Level 2 is quite complex, so takes years to master & pass all the elements that are required in this field, however I now know how to check the Nest engine oil & fill as required, how to check the tyre pressures inc. the spare in the cradle underneath that involves doing the back crawl, after garnishing the ‘safety team’ with fresh hot coffee and a chair so he can supervise..... funny how this always attracts a crowd, popcorn anyone??
I’ve also learned how to clean ‘Nesty’ (the multifuel stove) as well as how to set, light & keep it going and I’m told I can progress to sweeping the flue soon!
So all good....!
Have you looked at many motor homes?
When are you thinking of taking the full time plunge?
What area do you currently cruise in as the coffee pot is always on aboard the Nest, don’t be shy if you pass us on our travels.

(I’m trying to hide from the thread running at the moment regarding cleaning & polishing!!)

Last edited:
Morning NZ :)

Thanks for the info, very interesting. I've been looking around at vans (dreaming, like Herbenny!) for a while now and the Autotrail Chieftain just happens to be the model that seems to appeal to me more than others. They provide a lot of space & comfort for the money and, for me, in terms of finding a near-perfect layout they're not bad at all. I understand the only major problem they have is leaking - but then so do lots of other coachbuilds! (SNIPPETY SNIP SNIP)

Never got another bike, but to be honest I feel sort of 'been there, done that' etc. Looking for a new challenge - like full timing in a camper! ;)

Well I think I might have been lucky as I’ve never had any Roof or Coachworks leeks on The Nest (To Date !), BUT having said that I am a firm believer in Proactive Maintenance when Possible, as apposed to Reactive Works when Necessary!.
(I have even just replaced the Main Engine Starting Battery as it was showing sines of being a bit tired using jump leads )
A few years ago I gave any & all joints I could a bit of a Rake out & Re apply, Then two coats of Flexicryl & it’s been Absolutely Fine,,,-
A97105B7-AE40-422E-B53E-8321C09B9368.jpg

This year I’ve cleaned it all off & gave it a cpl of coats of Poly,,Just because I can -
798DFFE0-5FD4-4590-9D5D-B3F20AAE37C2.jpg

The Roof area is important to life aboard The Nest as it’s used to collect water that is then filterd into the Fresh water Tanks, so I do tend to Clean & inspect it whenever I can, To Paint I took full advantage of a HGV Flatbed Trailer that was Parked up for the Weekend at the same Lay-by I was in for 2 Long days & a night over the Easter Madness Break, Cost me a few Mugs of Coffee, & a Glug or 3 of Cider in the Evening I was there.

Well,
As Most Fulltimers Know, We have to make the Best of BOTH Location & Weather To Do a bit of Maintenance on our Traveling Homes, & Let’s Be Fair it’s sometimes a challenge combining the two in a suitable area.
So as today was an absolute CORKER of a Day, I decided to Get the Exterior of the Nest Rubbed Down & Flattend Off ready for it’s Next coat of Lovlyness that with any luck will be The next Nice day.
So,,Early Start it was already Rubbed Down from our last Maintenance push -
DB7A6F1C-FF3C-4E89-ABA4-003B9738F0AE.jpg

So just cleaned it off Then

1st Coat of Black -
899B5666-3F6A-4ACE-8733-A0E700C6ECC4.jpg

Then Flattend off ready for the 2nd coat -
B585F6AD-27CA-4A5D-8CE3-5B726FBB76E4.jpg

Not bad for a good Full days work !.

Well,
As Most Fulltimers Know, We have to make the Best of BOTH Location & Weather To Do a bit of Maintenance on our Traveling Homes, & Let’s Be Fair it’s sometimes a challenge combining the two in a suitable area.
So as today was an absolute CORKER of a Day, I decided to Get the Exterior of the Nest Rubbed Down & Flattend Off ready for it’s Next coat of Lovlyness that with any luck will be The next Nice day.
So,,Early Start it was already Rubbed Down from our last Maintenance push -
View attachment 62657

So just cleaned it off Then

1st Coat of Black -
View attachment 62658

Then Flattend off ready for the 2nd coat -
View attachment 62659

Not bad for a good Full days work !.

All good and a very productive day but what everyone should know is...
THIS is what himself was doing towards the maintenance push, bless him!!
30F6D484-48D9-40CA-9EE2-F17A1F1CA902.jpg

THANK YOU Harrow,,, !
Now I am actually sat in complete Disbelief at Her post !...

I Pass on my Knowledge, My Experience, I Selflessly Give Training in New Life Skills for her Personal Development, & Supervise her while she Practices, Offer the Tools, Materials & A Blank canvas (So to speak) & THIS is how she repays me !..

What People looking at this thread should know is,,,
After Taking some peoples fears of the current ‘Threats’ into account I was actually on ‘FLASH’ watch, (Ok Maybe Shouldn’t use that term in a Lay-by) so I could Leap into action & Get the Beer out of the way if the Bome did Drop !.

As far as Grub tonight goes, There’s the last bit of Muntjac left in the fridge to eat, Maybe with Jacket Spud & Ratatouille!.

Oh & to make things EVEN WORSE.....I’ve ran out of Cider n Donuts,,,Just got this Stella & Jamaican Ginger Cake Stuff left !

THANK YOU Harrow,,, !
Now I am actually sat in complete Disbelief at Her post !...

I Pass on my Knowledge, My Experience, I Selflessly Give Training in New Life Skills for her Personal Development, & Supervise her while she Practices, Offer the Tools, Materials & A Blank canvas (So to speak) & THIS is how she repays me !..

What People looking at this thread should know is,,,
After Taking some peoples fears of the current ‘Threats’ into account I was actually on ‘FLASH’ watch, (Ok Maybe Shouldn’t use that term in a Lay-by) so I could Leap into action & Get the Beer out of the way if the Bome did Drop !.

As far as Grub tonight goes, There’s the last bit of Muntjac left in the fridge to eat, Maybe with Jacket Spud & Ratatouille!.

Oh & to make things EVEN WORSE.....I’ve ran out of Cider n Donuts,,,Just got this Stella & Jamaican Ginger Cake Stuff left !
Well hopefully Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday will be warm so Hen will be able to get the washing dry.

You can't do enough for a good woman.

:bow::bow::bow:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back