Pros and Cons of Fulltiming

OH NO/// only just seen this posting.. what a bummer for you zombie.......shattered for you...so i am
pleased that you have managed to get another van ......hope you manage to get it fitted out before too long.
you have a brilliant attitude to life . you are one of a kind....

they cant keep A GOOD MAN DOWN......GOOD LUCK.

I have thought it would be nice to live almost full time in my motorhome, but the thing that bothers me is post. I don't mean bills, because all my bills are paid by automatic direct debit, but normal everyday, well almost everyday, post. The longest I've been away from home was 1½ months, once traveling along the South coast from Folkestone to Lands End, then back home via the center of Wales, and once traveling round the Scottish coast, finishing in the Laker District, and I really enjoyed both trips, but the amount of post when I got back meant it was quite hard even to open the front door. I live alone, don't have any family nearby who could come over once a week, and I wouldn't trust anyone, even my neighbour who I get along with very well, to come into my house, so I don't know how you people manage going away for months on end.

I have thought it would be nice to live almost full time in my motorhome, but the thing that bothers me is post. I don't mean bills, because all my bills are paid by automatic direct debit, but normal everyday, well almost everyday, post. The longest I've been away from home was 1½ months, once traveling along the South coast from Folkestone to Lands End, then back home via the center of Wales, and once traveling round the Scottish coast, finishing in the Laker District, and I really enjoyed both trips, but the amount of post when I got back meant it was quite hard even to open the front door. I live alone, don't have any family nearby who could come over once a week, and I wouldn't trust anyone, even my neighbour who I get along with very well, to come into my house, so I don't know how you people manage going away for months on end.

I've pretty much engineered it so hardly anything comes by post. Everything is online these days so it's rare something important comes by post so I don't worry about it. My neighbour does go in the house though and moves what post we have but it's never that much even over five or six months. I do however think I've picked up a speeding fine the other day on the bike so I might need him to watch for that. :(

That looks like a cracking van for conversion Paul, everything nice and square and a fantastic blank canvas.

I hope you post a step by step thread on the conversion, it would be great to watch your progress.

That looks like a cracking van for conversion Paul, everything nice and square and a fantastic blank canvas.

I hope you post a step by step thread on the conversion, it would be great to watch your progress.
Better still, make a YouTube channel and earn a few bob, you have a great story to tell, your lifestyle, air lifted to safety from your previous van, back on your feet with boxy and now this drama, shows your strength of character in the face of adversity. A true fly on the wall account of a livaboard. Not the usual look at me mincing about with a camera on a stick with nothing to say approach. I really think it's a goer.

Good luck with that zombie, euro 6 is the death nel for a diesel .l would advise a t1 merc for longevity. I don't do your miles but I am in my 14 year now.

We should organise a big WC Zombie meet to help build the van in one weekend. Everyone bring summat useful and their expertise of course. I don't have any useful expertise but I'll just manage it all from the beer tent.
Good idea, but unlikely it would get done in a weekend, Paul seems very resourceful but maybe some practical help, like a place to stay and work, and access to tools/machines and some members supplying relevant skills would be helpful.

I do however think I've picked up a speeding fine the other day on the bike so I might need him to watch for that. :(
Tell the truth, you broke down and a chap in a BMW said he would tow you to a garage, all went ok to a p 911 passed the BMW and he forgot about you and floored it.
Police report said a constable had noted a scooter rider flashing his lights and beeping his horn to pass a Bmw doing 140mph, pay up speed fiend. 😂

We have given an elderly couple in our village a key as they don't miss anything that goes on in our village plus walk past our bungalow twice a day to walk their dog. As such there is no huge pile behind the door. The length of the grass in the garden is another matter though as they are not up to mowing it. We had across-the-road neighbours who previosuly checked our place and mowed the lawn however they moved which was a shame as we got on really well with them.

So,
Carrying on down my list of priorities job wise,
Vehicle,
Job,
Yard,
Start what work I can with the Money & Tools I’ve got,
Ripped off Cargo Rails, Then Weigh bridge to give an idea of fit out allowance.
dd3c7f9c-28ef-4811-be01-76f77e2a4be1.jpeg
fda1de51-ecbb-46d3-bba8-ca72f28afec1.jpeg
IMG_3899.jpeg
IMG_3841.jpeg

So, it’s a 3500kg Max vehicle.
Weighed with Me aboard & Full Fuel, Full Ad-Blue, Not as light as I’d have hoped, But 🤔, Doable 🤷🏻‍♂️,
This can be a common ’CON’ to people that overlook Payload when starting a fit out.

Last edited:
You could also consider removing the cargo lift as well although as Mark said, it makes a great patio.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back