No parking for us.

Moonraker 2

I live near the south downs and noticed changes to car parks over the years. I have been up to Jack and Jill a couple of times for a walk and a scenic cup of tea. There is a height barrier so I park in the horse box space, but I decided to query it.
This the answer:

"Following receipt of your on-line form, I asked the Parks and Open Spaces Team for their response to the query you raised. They told me that the sign does not include motor homes, as they are not allowed to park in the Jack and Jill Windmill Car Park."

That means cars are ok and great big horse boxes are too, but no one in a motor home, even during the day!!!
I have written to complain that it is discrimination and prevents me accessing the countryside. I am pretty sure the next car park at Ditchling beacon also has a height barrier.
England definitely doesn't welcome motor homes.

I live near the south downs and noticed changes to car parks over the years. I have been up to Jack and Jill a couple of times for a walk and a scenic cup of tea. There is a height barrier so I park in the horse box space, but I decided to query it.
This the answer:

"Following receipt of your on-line form, I asked the Parks and Open Spaces Team for their response to the query you raised. They told me that the sign does not include motor homes, as they are not allowed to park in the Jack and Jill Windmill Car Park."

That means cars are ok and great big horse boxes are too, but no one in a motor home, even during the day!!!
I have written to complain that it is discrimination and prevents me accessing the countryside. I am pretty sure the next car park at Ditchling beacon also has a height barrier.
England definitely doesn't welcome motor homes.

Off course it’s discrimination, and it’s time that this was taken up.
But we have no one working on our behalf.
As from September 1 you have to pay £2135 in road tax then £460 a year for the next five years. The politicians are more than willing to take our money, then discriminate against us.

Discrimination means treating a person unfairly because of who they are or because they possess certain characteristics. If you have been treated differently from other people only because of who you are or because you possess certain characteristics, you may have been discriminated against.

Looks like another letter saying you are being Discriminated against because you drive a Motorhome.

Human rights treaties include a clause that says the rights and freedoms given in them must be applied without discrimination on the basis of race, sex, religion, political opinion, national origin and so on.

That should certainly give them a heart attack ..

Grieves me how we are treated. If the powers that be put up signs saying "no Irish" "no blacks" "no gypsies" etc they would be taken to task. As has been said, where is the fairness? Time we were treated like every other group of individuals. Never heard a reasonable argument against motor homes yet, think generally they just want to ban us because we want to go there!
You can't honestly say you ever saw motorhomes leave any site in nearly as bad a state as nearly every gypsy site they move away from, yet they now have laws to protect their lifestyle. Where are our bloody laws? We generally abide by the law of the land & usually cause no trouble where we go, just can't work out why everyone is so set against us. After all they are all happy to take our money at every opportunity they get....

Grieves me how we are treated. If the powers that be put up signs saying "no Irish" "no blacks" "no gypsies" etc they would be taken to task. As has been said, where is the fairness? Time we were treated like every other group of individuals. Never heard a reasonable argument against motor homes yet, think generally they just want to ban us because we want to go there!
You can't honestly say you ever saw motorhomes leave any site in nearly as bad a state as nearly every gypsy site they move away from, yet they now have laws to protect their lifestyle. Where are our bloody laws? We generally abide by the law of the land & usually cause no trouble where we go, just can't work out why everyone is so set against us. After all they are all happy to take our money at every opportunity they get....

I cannot agree more.
But unfortunately we are the authors of our own demise Gregg.
You will find that not everyone on here agrees with your comments.
Yes there are a small minority of idiots, and others who simply due to inexperience simply don’t know better. But to discriminate against all is not called for, and grossly unjust and unfair.

Last edited:
Off course it’s discrimination, and it’s time that this was taken up.
But we have no one working on our behalf.
As from September 1 you have to pay £2135 in road tax then £460 a year for the next five years. The politicians are more than willing to take our money, then discriminate against us.
Just a bit concerned forgive my ignorance but "As from September 1 you have to pay £2135 in road tax then £460 a year for the next five years. The politicians are more than willing to take our money, then discriminate against us"what's this charge?

Just a bit concerned forgive my ignorance but "As from September 1 you have to pay £2135 in road tax then £460 a year for the next five years. The politicians are more than willing to take our money, then discriminate against us"what's this charge?

are not allowed to park in the Jack and Jill Windmill Car Park."

so the question is ‘why’? Will be interested to see what their response is. In the same way if they said no parking for white cars, people quite rightly would ask ‘why’. Interesting that a horse box parking area is provided - so horse riders have more rights than MH / CV owners?

It would be interesting to know the management decision making process for installing height barriers and the cost argument as opposed to say spending the money on path maintenance.

When I challenged a National Trust property on their car park height barrier they responded with the ‘traveller’ card.

Hope barriers do not become a trend in the South Downs NP as it is our favourite local place, we were there last week for four nights.

Not just England, we came across exactly the same problem in Scotland in one place - access to the main car park was restricted by width (some of the 4 x 4s were having problems getting in and out) and there was a small area for about 6 horseboxes or minibuses. We parked our campervans there, but were probably wrong to do so.

In this day and age a cam could be put pointing at barrier and a ph number at it so a motorhome driver could call and when they see its not a nasty bunch open the barrier and let m/home in,we could also get a code number to quote on the ph.

I think that these restrictions come about because a very small minority of motorhome and campervan users will abuse a parking area by setting up furniture, starting fires or running generators. Other users are less likely to do these things.
It is very unfortunate that the vast majority of motorhome and campervan users suffer inconvenience because of this small minority.

The discrimination that we are suffering is one of the prescribed characteristics - age.
I don't believe that any of the local authorities that have banned motorhomes have actually done the proper analysis that they they should do before they say that there are no equality issues.

Inverter and this springs to mind.

grinder.png

Thats the same in all walks of life,the few spoil it for the many. (n)

So many Motorhomes around these days Trev. it doesn't even matter if
they're well behaved, they take up space, too much space that it gets noticed.

When authorities are strapped for cash, why should they make provision for
a minority ( as compared to cars) when the ordinary car driver thinks he's
being short changed regarding parking.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back