NO MORE OVERNIGHT STAYS IN SCARBOROUGH

Just because tens of thousands haven't complained to the council Bill doesn't mean they won't have been bothered. It was indeed an eyesore at times and you can see some of the vans from properties I think and of course they are very visible from the front. I don't live in Barnard Castle or Richmond but they are my nearest towns and I wouldn't be happy if each time I drove into either there were a hundred motorhomes parked cheek by jowl all along the front or market place. Would I complain? Probably not but I would be happy for the council to move them on.
I've little doubt that the local rag will have rabble roused with exagerated untrue reports to sell papers, facts don"t come into the story. I've seen it happen.

That word really winds me up these days. How is it being entitled to expect to be treated the same if I go to the coast in my car or in my van?

There is a massive increase in people in vans in this country, an awful lot living in them because if they didn’t they would be in shop doorways or tents in parks. It isn’t just people with a bit of cash holidaying, I know a lot who couldn’t afford to pay £10 per night to stay anywhere more than once or twice a month.

Government and councils are not fulfilling their responsibilities they are just moving folk along, at some point something will break.
As i see it it's the basic resposibility of government to ensure that the populace have a roof over their head, food in their belly and healthcare.
However, not all governments believe in the above.

Many pubs welcome vans to stay overnight,i suppose it's because we never spend any money?
That’s completely different. Many pubs welcome us stopping overnight as long as we spend money. Obviously that does not apply to this situation, where some of the vans will spend no money locally. You can’t compare the two situations.

Last edited:
That’s completely different. Many pubs welcome us stopping overnight as long as we spend money. Obviously that does not apply to this situation, where some of the vans will spend no money locally. You can’t compare the two situations.

Can I ask, do you spend locally when you stop somewhere?

100% correct on all points. I don't know what can be done to make these council people understand that we are not all antisocial morons, but you are up against the established propaganda spouted by
interested parties for years now, repeat falsehoods often enough and they become hard facts. As has been said before, councils have many business people on them, including vociferous b&b hotel & campsite owners. They spot you having a brew in the van and you therefore "don't contribute to the local
economy"
Do you really believe that councils think we are all anti social morons? Or is it more likely that they realise that some of us are, but the cost of preventing it is not worth their while.

All the alledged business owners on councils using it for their own ends will be balanced by normal conscientious councillors. Not everything is a conspiracy.

If what you believe was true they wouldn’t be allowing daytime parking.

Can I ask, do you spend locally when you stop somewhere?
Me personally? Yes. But nowhere near what some claim. I also know of others that spend next to nothing.

The point remains that you can’t compare stopping locally to stopping in a pub where it’s a requirement that you spend.

Anti social behaviour? I know, it's all those pissed up drugged up pensioners in motorhomes guv! Do me a favour.
No, it’s the barbecues, the fire pits, and the rubbish/waste dumping etc. That’s generally the anti social behaviour by Motorhome’s that councils don’t like.

Me personally? Yes. But nowhere near what some claim. I also know of others that spend next to nothing.

The point remains that you can’t compare stopping locally to stopping in a pub where it’s a requirement that you spend.

No, not what I was getting at really, although I do use pub stops and I do spend in them.

But in general like many (full timers aside) I use my van to go on holidays albeit short ones and l would imagine that the majority of motorhome owners do the same? When I go on holiday whether it be in the van or in a hotel I am not looking to scrimp and save I am looking to enjoy myself, dining out - even if it's just fish and chips or a Chinese, buying presents to take back to the grandkids, using the local butchers to supply the BBQ Etc. Etc. and then of course day to day necessities like bread and milk and beer.

In doing that I don't see myself being any different to the average motorhomer or other holidaymaker come to that so I do see us as a significant contributor if we are there in numbers. However, the large seaside towns get inundated in the Summer months so it's not going to break the bank for them without us - I fully appreciate that, but the Winter months are different. Given that the ban starts on 21st October it's probably not the best window they could have chosen and I would imagine that seaside towns would be looking to encourage visitors in the Winter when times are lean?

I still won't go there though. 🙂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:171)

Fisherman, longtoedsloth, jeanette, Robmac, Val54, Jo001, bdastu, jacquigem, barryd, shortcircuit, Nabsim, trevskoda, brucews, andyjanet, Tezza33, defect, oppy, Charlynch, NSY, Greengrass, flying kipper, Pudsey Bear, Matchlock, denmar, AllanD, edina, runnach, Obanboy666, jagmanx, 2cv, The laird, mistericeman, clarkpeacock, Andys, TissyD, Herbenny, RichardHelen262, ewen, number14, Tim120, Fazerloz, Heppy, Ex Greeny, Steve and Julie, jstokesedi, Pauljenny, Martin P, Bigshug, r4dent, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, DTF, iandsm, mariesnowgoose, colinm, TeamRienza, jeffmossy, peejay, Canalsman, Ched, TJBi, guerdeval, Wully, Debroos, zzr1400tim, The Jacks, alcam, bobemmo29, Benylin, jann, terrywolf, GinaRon, Boris7, undertaker, kevlakes, belbri, molly 2, Neckender, argoose, korky, aross, Mossystone, cooperman, Rod, noarlunga, Old Man Down, mark61, gilsof31, CHII BUS, Peisinoe, Wooie1958, ajb70, AdriaTwin, Chip, Ken Parsons, Moxyman, scaley, bluelagoon, redhand, tripper, popeye1958, yeoblade, Rumour, Palette, lesandpenny, Noone, Teddy, mick n jules, Lovelace, dogsbarker, bazzybabes, Curly, Cass, 2buy4rob, paulhelenwilko, Lee, HurricaneSmith, Debs, 955itriple, 1807truckman, lthoel2, winks, Moonraker 2, bjh, alwaysared, Jmick, keithlewis56, horlicks, Chasn, davlin, Lib, Ellendale, hamsterberg27, Bubble, Mikebike, GerryG, Thistle, tribute11, exwindsurfer, Alun100, Stevenew, Fergus, Rolyan57, JB2, Wardy73, Ted, Divine Right, yorkslass, terry ward, Glass man, 02manytoys, 2Coops, KCjjj, DAVEY, BigAldo, gettingolder2, Johnnyboyshaw, GMJ, Wightman, linkshouse, bnb080, kensowerby, Dowel, merl, wildsprinters, oldpatchwork, Gnomus, JQB, izwozral, VandA, maureenandtom, Walkingmox,
Back