New signs put up in Wales regarding motorhomes seen in Barmouth car park and spotted in a layby

I agree with Tom. You have plenty to say but no intention of doing anything.

Don't fret, the vast majority of motorhome owners are just as lazy as you.
Yet more personal insults, by someone who doesn’t know me and has no knowledge of my history. You make no attempt to debate the solution I offered, you just offer insults.

Most of what you say is true Bill.

For now.
Hows this one for you Rob.
I have spent three nights here alone.
But I also spent a night not far from there (not on the pois) with one of the most interesting people I have met in years. And I learnt a few things from him about motorhomes and Motor homing.

tempImageJPk4n4.png

Last edited:
Yet more personal insults, by someone who doesn’t know me and has no knowledge of my history. You make no attempt to debate the solution I offered, you just offer insults.
Some of the replies you got were pretty blunt, I agree but I believe they were born out of frustration and nothing more;

There was no point debating your observations as I don't believe there is any disagreement. One representative body and us all understanding the law and all regional bylaws would be brilliant, no need for debate is there. I refer to your points as observations because they are not solutions, the equivalent would be stating that to stop world hunger we need food supplied to all, correct, true, not debatable, but the problem is how to do it, that is a solution.

The members that got frustrated with you are proactive, maybe read Tom's posts again. I can sympathise with his reaction to your post as he has heard it all before backed up with no action, I (we) don't know your history, you might be the frontrunner of this fight, but as you make no mention of this there is some justification in assuming that like the vast majority of us you do very little or nothing about the problem being discussed.

Your post was a battle cry with no strategy given to an unorganised rabble with a few members thinking here we go again, that's all (y)

Last edited:
Not aimed at any particular member but this is from our Forum rules

All posts should be professional and courteous. You have every right to disagree with your fellow community members and explain your perspective, but do it in a respectful and non-dismissive manner. You are not free to attack, degrade, insult, or otherwise belittle other members.

I do not believe my (subsequently deleted) reply was offensive. If it was taken thus then what is the point of a discussion when a member can take umbrage at virtually anything. I shall retire from this thread (and take no part in any similar discussion which may arise in the future).

Some interesting points raised.
I don't reckon that we are lazy, but if you compare us with Tom then it may look that way.
I have emailed several organisations in Fife, Arran, Trossachs, Loch Lomond, Argyle and Bute, East Lothian, Highland region, various parts of England and Wales, and I have spoken to various people on the phone on motorhome related subjects. I have also twice travelled to Arran to put some input on our behalf in local meetings. These meetings proved very fruitful, both for myself and those on Arran. I saw first hand how some reacted to us, but I honestly think that after those meetings minds were changed, and Arran is possibly now one of the best places for us to WC.
I am still trying to have the barriers removed at the newly renovated Bochastle carpark near Callander, and I will keep at them for as long as I can.

But in comparison to Tom I am a lazy bugger, with too much time on my hands.
But Sorry Tom, I don't intend to follow you, I would never be able to.
I simply don't have your level of dedication or you ability.

Last edited:
Hows this one for you Rob.
I have spent three nights here alone.
But I also spent a night not far from there (not on the pois) with one of the most interesting people I have met in years. And I learnt a few things from him about motorhomes and Motor homing.

View attachment 100771

That's exactly my cup of tea Bill. Stunning. And true wildcamping (in my book).

But what will you do when several motorhomes start pulling up there and thereabouts? That's exactly my point, with the amount of motorhomes heading to Scotland in particular, those not herded onto sites or Aires will be seeking out such places.

Bear in mind that wildcamping used to be easy in remote parts of England and Wales but it is getting very difficult now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against sites or Aires - I use them! But I would hate the option to roam and rest in the countryside to disappear altogether.

But what will you do when several motorhomes start pulling up there and thereabouts? That's exactly my point, with the amount of motorhomes heading to Scotland in particular, those not herded onto sites or Aires will be seeking out such places.

Bear in mind that wildcamping used to be easy in remote parts of England and Wales but it is getting very difficult now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against sites or Aires - I use them! But I would hate the option to roam and rest in the countryside to disappear altogether.

Well Rob, one mans version of what’s WC differs from another’s. There is no one definition of WC. We enjoy all types of locations including where this was taken at the Ratagan pass, and this year we have spent some time in some villages. I particularly like to be close to the sea, or a large lake. But so long as you avoid the NC 500, Skye, and other obvious places, you will find a quiet place for the night, we have had no problems. But as I posted a few weeks ago I was none to pleased at what happened at Elie, with to many vans, and some with awnings and even wind breakers out. But then we left and drove to Craigmeade and spent two nights on our own and did the Lomond hills. During the day it did get busy with cars, but we were out most of the day, and to be honest I like company, and I have met some really good people (and one or two idiots). Being completely alone is not a must for me. So long as I can experience the environment fully. Here’s some shots from the Lomond hills
145CE005-121B-4551-8B25-092B977563DF.jpeg
7FCF16CC-7CE9-44E5-85DE-57A7168D9AB9.jpeg
91D14C05-9B87-432B-BAA1-AD66BF83C072.jpeg

Part of the problem Rob is the lack of places is not only due to the increase in vans, it’s also due to the amount of perfectly good parking places not open to us. I am currently in debate with a trust who now take care of the car park at Bochastle near Callander. This is a classic example of a carpark that was available to us for years, then when renovated they put up barriers. They cannot justify what they have done, and after spending £140,000 of our money they then use some of it to erect barriers. I will keep at them, but this is exactly what’s wrong with our country.
Anyway Rob, we can easily solve our problem up here by putting height barriers at the border :)

Unless viruses become a feature of life I think this is a peak in numbers of campers on the road. Lock down provided the time for thousands of self builds (some will fall apart) and the opportunity for many to work remotely combined with many choosing domestic holidays. I suspect at this exact moment there are hundreds (thousands maybe) of people on the road that wont ever do it again.

YouTube has made vanlife appear much sexier than it really is and as I write this there is a couple shouting at each other cos one of them is cocking up reversing on a single track with the argument ending with "WE ARE NEVER BLOODY DOING THIS AGAIN" 😆

Everything falls in and out of fashion

Last edited:
Unless viruses become a feature of life I think this is a peak in numbers of campers on the road. Lock down provided the time for thousands of self builds and the opportunity for many to work remotely combined with many choosing domestic holidays. I suspect at this exact moment there are hundreds (thousands maybe) of people on the road that wont ever do it again.

YouTube has made vanlife appear much sexier than it really is and as I write this there is a couple shouting at each other cos one of them is cocking up reversing on a single track with the argument ending with "WE ARE NEVER BLOODY DOING THIS AGAIN" 😆

Think , and hope , you are correct
Suspect market will be awash with low mileage vans come the winter

............just thinking there must also be thousands of campers on UK roads that would usually be spread across Europe.

Interesting thread and the legal position document is a very good one. In a previous job we would deal with traveller parkups in a large city.
We had training from a traveller and they highlighted that whilst the groups looked disparate and isolated they were in fact quite organised with access to legal opinion and support. The point is maybe we need to do something similar?

You've got a motorbike and a bivvy bag! Your sorted chap (y)

Interesting thread and the legal position document is a very good one. In a previous job we would deal with traveller parkups in a large city.
We had training from a traveller and they highlighted that whilst the groups looked disparate and isolated they were in fact quite organised with access to legal opinion and support. The point is maybe we need to do something similar?
Agreed, I use to serve travellers in a pub where a static community lived, they know exactly what their doing and know the law better then most coppers. They also have time, money and work together which makes them a formidable force for authorities, the polar opposite to us

We have a better rep with the general public and media, probably our only advantage over them but presently that is a small advantage

Last edited:
Unless viruses become a feature of life I think this is a peak in numbers of campers on the road. Lock down provided the time for thousands of self builds (some will fall apart) and the opportunity for many to work remotely combined with many choosing domestic holidays. I suspect at this exact moment there are hundreds (thousands maybe) of people on the road that wont ever do it again.

With Scotland in particular in mind, the NC500 has just become too popular for my liking.

Yes you will find examples of people who don't take to it - as in any pastime. But just think, at the moment the NC500 is rammed by all accounts, and thousands of foreign visitors are not coming over at the moment, so post Covid the floodgates will open both ways, Brits will go abroad and foreign holidaymakers will come here. I suspect the numbers of foreign visitors will vastly exceed the numbers of Brits going abroad?

Last edited:
Well Rob, one mans version of what’s WC differs from another’s. There is no one definition of WC. We enjoy all types of locations including where this was taken at the Ratagan pass, and this year we have spent some time in some villages. I particularly like to be close to the sea, or a large lake. But so long as you avoid the NC 500, Skye, and other obvious places, you will find a quiet place for the night, we have had no problems. But as I posted a few weeks ago I was none to pleased at what happened at Elie, with to many vans, and some with awnings and even wind breakers out. But then we left and drove to Craigmeade and spent two nights on our own and did the Lomond hills. During the day it did get busy with cars, but we were out most of the day, and to be honest I like company, and I have met some really good people (and one or two idiots). Being completely alone is not a must for me. So long as I can experience the environment fully. Here’s some shots from the Lomond hills
View attachment 100792View attachment 100793View attachment 100794
Part of the problem Rob is the lack of places is not only due to the increase in vans, it’s also due to the amount of perfectly good parking places not open to us. I am currently in debate with a trust who now take care of the car park at Bochastle near Callander. This is a classic example of a carpark that was available to us for years, then when renovated they put up barriers. They cannot justify what they have done, and after spending £140,000 of our money they then use some of it to erect barriers. I will keep at them, but this is exactly what’s wrong with our country.
Anyway Rob, we can easily solve our problem up here by putting height barriers at the border :)

I actually quite like putting out chairs, a table and a BBQ Bill, it's all part of the holiday. Of course I would not do this in a car park or where it would inconvenience anybody else.

I don't want to be alone all of the time, I like to meet up with a couple of friends and go to discrete spots where we can sit out, have a bit of food and a drink and leave no trace when we've gone.

As you say, different people have different perceptions on what wildcamping is, so in some respects we are a divided community?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back