New rules limiting gatherings to 6

I read something the other day that said in Sweden people have just religiously followed the social distancing rules. I know you said you saw pictures of people ignoring them but perhaps they were isolated. It kind of makes sense. The more severely locked down you were the more likely you were to get sick of it and feel let of the leash when that was relaxed. If you were not locked down but strict rules enforced that are pretty much the same throughout then maybe you get used to them and they just become the norm. There cannot really be any other explanation. If numbers of infections are down it can only be because people are not getting close to each other. I dont know what their track and trace procedure is like but clearly ours is maybe not so "world beating" after all.

There has been a perception I think that it was somehow all over. Clearly its not.

It may well be that the vast majority of Swedes are acting "responsibly" but any system is as strong as its weakest link and if the stories that I and others have mentioned are true then Sweden has its fair share of idiots - just like everywhere else. For me, the critical thing is that Sweden has said that there is little or no evidence that face masks have any value and has not made them compulsory. We had a Baltic trip planned in June and the country that we had the most difficulty getting money back from was Sweden because they said they were open as normal. The infection rate was high to start off with (but no higher per 100,000 than the average of countries that imposed mask wearing). That rate is now low enough to enable the country to be put on our "green" list, whereas the countries that imposed the most rigorous mask-wearing are not. As I said, maybe the herd immunity thing has some merit.

We have to consider population and population density with Sweden being a great example. Entire population is less than London alone and population density is 25 per square km, ours is 275 as average in UK but England itself is 432.

Probably fairer only to compare Stockholm and London tbh as most Swedes are concentrated in their capital but even here the square km density is 4,200 compared to Londons 5,700.

Take into consideration standard of living, average number of people per household and population percentage of the 'harder hit' ethnicities and I am unsure whether you can compare the two nations

We have to consider population and population density with Sweden being a great example. Entire population is less than London alone and population density is 25 per square km, ours is 275 as average in UK but England itself is 432.

Probably fairer only to compare Stockholm and London tbh as most Swedes are concentrated in their capital but even here the square km density is 4,200 compared to Londons 5,700.

Take into consideration standard of living, average number of people per household and population percentage of the 'harder hit' ethnicities and I am unsure whether you can compare the two nations

The 4200 sq km is for Stockholm County, the city of Stockholm is much higher.

Same with London, the 5700 is for what I believe they call the London Metropolitan area. Where I live we are over 17000 per sq km, as is a lot of inner London.

looking at mans attempts to conquer nature throughout history im surprised that polititians and the media continue think we can completly beat this virus..imho at best we can mitigate its effects to some extent.
covid 19 is a relative of the common cold....weve been trying to "cure" that since last century with not much sucess..... billions are spent on flu vaccines. arguably with some success..but theres always a different one comes along next year.

It has now been proved that cov19 was a manufactured bug as it has 3 components which does not happen in nature,a chinness defector who worked in the lab has proof and spilled the beans,our gov is trying to keep this QT as china owns our banking depts.

It has now been proved that cov19 was a manufactured bug as it has 3 components which does not happen in nature,a chinness defector who worked in the lab has proof and spilled the beans,our gov is trying to keep this QT as china owns our banking depts.
Have you got a link Trev?

Possible, but I'm still highly sceptical.

What is more likely is that this is a natural virus that has jumped species, like many others before.

The ensuing chaos it has caused worldwide as a result has been inevitable and certainly not calculated, in my mind at least.

However, I believe the difficult situation in the UK right now has a lot more to do with political machinations than the actual virus itself.

My understanding - anyone in the know correct me if I'm wrong? - is that we have always had the internal, UK-based lab capacity to deal with a vast majority of the test, track & tracing we needed from day one.

However, we are currently sending tests to labs in the USA & Germany(?!), and at the same time there appears to be a huge bottle jam on the ground to actually get a test done in the first place. All of these delays/shortages could have been mitigated, but I have a feeling it could be more to do with the big profits that can be made from companies that BJ, Cummings & Co have financially vested interests in.

They couldn't give a stuff about us and will be quite happy for the virus to be jumping around building up herd immunity, which after all was what Cummings always wanted from day one. In the meantime they can make commercial hay while the virus sun still shines. One man's misfortune is another man's opportunity and all that?

And before anyone says anything, this is just as plausible a conspiracy theory than a lot of the regular scaremongering circulating about a 'deliberately manufactured Chinese virus' and 'Big Brother is here', etc. In fact, I reckon if we could be flies behind certain closed political doors we could find my speculation is closer to the truth than you might think...

Just sayin'

Last edited:
I think covid being engineered is still considered a "conspiracy", trouble is the people calling it a conspiracy are the same people who tell porkies about everything. 😂
We will probably never know the truth anyway, not for 50+ years.

I'd put money ( a fiver at most 😂 ) on it being engineered, in China, cultured on cancer cells, something to do with the Hayflick limit, but escaped because of poor management, not on purpose. US has invested fortunes on labs in China, so not necessarily anything to do with China owning banks, not that we can rule that out.

Hows that for starters for a good chat around the camp fire. 😂

1600334042716.png

I booked the holiday cottage where we're staying this week after our river cruise on the Douro was cancelled in May. We've been in pubs and restaurants, we walked around a museum, visited an antique fair and traipsed around a very busy Whitby (for the last time, to many "kiss me quick" hat shops now) and a cold and windy Scarborough. I'm too close to my three score and ten to waste time locked away wondering whether I'm going to catch Covid. I wear a mask when required, I sanitise my hands at every opportunity but I'm not going to waste what useful life I have left cowering to a virus, because there are so many things lurking out there anyway.

This does make sense. I started checking coronavirus deaths locally and they are tiny. I live in the second least populated region in England. about 30 per sq km. Surrounding areas Teesdale Co. Durham. Rydale and Richmondshire North yorkshire and Eden Cumbria are also down the bottom of the population density scale and there are hardly any deaths. As of the end of June in Teesdale there were just 10 deaths which includes the now famous Barnard Castle which is the largest town with 7 of those deaths in a population of about 5500. Just 3 in the rest of Teesdale which is massive. Covers about 400 sq miles or something like that. I dont know anyone local that has had it never mind died of it. Population density will of course make a massive difference. Its a fairly elderly population here also. You would think that would increase the amount of deaths but I also think the older population are and have generally been more cautious. No over crowded areas or housing here. I dont think there are any flats at all.

So your theory about Sweden probably has a lot of merit.

This does make sense. I started checking coronavirus deaths locally and they are tiny. I live in the second least populated region in England. about 30 per sq km. Surrounding areas Teesdale Co. Durham. Rydale and Richmondshire North yorkshire and Eden Cumbria are also down the bottom of the population density scale and there are hardly any deaths. As of the end of June in Teesdale there were just 10 deaths which includes the now famous Barnard Castle which is the largest town with 7 of those deaths in a population of about 5500. Just 3 in the rest of Teesdale which is massive. Covers about 400 sq miles or something like that. I dont know anyone local that has had it never mind died of it. Population density will of course make a massive difference. Its a fairly elderly population here also. You would think that would increase the amount of deaths but I also think the older population are and have generally been more cautious. No over crowded areas or housing here. I dont think there are any flats at all.

So your theory about Sweden probably has a lot of merit.

True, you can't compare UK with Sweden, and neither can Sweden be compared with Finland and Norway, ( I'm not saying you are but many do)

The only places in Europe that are in any way comparable are Belgium and Netherlands. Only small areas in Germany and France come close in population density.

The counties of Durham and Northumberland are for the large part fairly rural.

If a factor for infection is population density then maybe we should start with London for lockdown? :unsure::devilish:

Yeah, right. I think now we're past the first big panic and initial total lockdown the chances of that happening is zero.
Too much money at stake down there in the smoke.

But, they have to be seen to be continuing to be doing something, so the North is a perfect choice.
They've never given a stuff about us anyways. We've always been fair game for taking collateral damage when it comes to economics.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back