M6 closure earlier today... Daisymini or Rubbertramp - was it you? :D

I really can't believe some of the comments on this thread are serious..
Here's a thought, Britain unbenown to the public is on a state of high alert,serious terrorist threat, naturally not publicised to avert public panic.

Furthermore in the grand scale let me point something out loud and clear.

Terrorists only have to be lucky once, the good guys have to get it right time after time..no leeway for failure.

If on high alert, my day is disrupted by the good guys trying to catch the bad guys I can live with that.

In respect of Asian suspects, previousi incidents would suggest that due to the motives of the current threats the beliefs which trigger are predominantly held by those of Asian origin.

Nothing racist / hatred etc about it....fact

Channa

A Staffordshire Police woman said: "The information received concerned a report of vapour escaping from a bag which on investigation turned out to be a health improvement aid for smokers.

"Given the credibility of the information we received, we responded swiftly and proportionately.

Well if they close a motorway and set up decontamination facilities every time an electronic ciagarette goes off prematurely, the economy is going to take more of a nosedive than it is doing already. A few questions to the passenger whose bag it was, may have cleared this one up rather quicker.

Well if they close a motorway and set up decontamination facilities every time an electronic ciagarette goes off prematurely, the economy is going to take more of a nosedive than it is doing already. A few questions to the passenger whose bag it was, may have cleared this one up rather quicker.

1/ you assume he/she speaks English.

2/ If you suspected him of being a potential terrorist would you believe him, or let him put his hand in the bag?

3/ They may not even let him know that he is the suspect / reason for stopping the bus, so not to alert him and avoid a detonation?

4/ :)

Last edited:
'The coach driver did not make an intelligent analysis?' He's a coach driver for God's sake! All he knew was that someone had a bag and smoke was coming out of it! At what level does a coach driver decide that he can make an 'intelligent analysis' or ignore something that may well kill everyone on his coach?

'People have been taught that everything is a terrorist threat?' No we haven't, I don't think that the old lady sitting next to me with a parcel on her lap is a terrorist threat.

"Let's not panic people, he's just a young Asian man with a rucksack on his back. Stop being paranoid everyone!"

Finally, what is the correlation between people having accidents at home and being blown up by terrorists? Are you suggesting that because we have accidents at home we abandon common sense everywhere else?

"What's the point of drink driving laws folks, and seat belts and air bags? What a waste of money, you're just as likely to have an accident at home?"

Exactly!......."Excuse me mate, do you know your bag is on fire?/What's that bottle for then?"
Why don't people talk to each other anymore? An atmosphere of fear of others is being encouraged in this country which will cause more violence and damage in the long term if it continues. There are examples everywhere, even on this forum from fear of boy racers to the vilification of the travelling community. This is how wars are justified.....eventually create enough fear and hatred to make your enemy sub-human then it's OK to kill him, and his wife and children. Communication with a smile....it's the only way to get by.:)

Good morning, Happy Campers All! :wave:

I've starting reading these threads backwards now, and, as there's some good racing on today ( weather-permitting) I'm scrambling this rambling off in a rush. Hopefully, some of it may be helpful and increase the "feel-good factor".

Rubbertramp:
You're one hundred percent on the money, me ould mush! Nice succinct post, imo.

Scampa:

I think you must be a fireman or the like, as you make some very level-headed and sensible , pragmatic, posts, imo. Thank you.

Basilsdog:

" It is like my old mum a few years ago she employed a nce firm of travelling roofers !
They kindly took her to the bank and helped her empty her account of all her savings !
Police response was to send the neighbourhood home security people around to put a sticker up and advise her on not leaving doors unlocked ????
She cannot even remember the name of a yoghurt some days so that was real helpful ."

--

I was sorry to read this, B.
It was probably some time ago as door-to-door sales have now been largely banned in GB by legislation possibly designed to protect the vulnerable.
Whatever, if the roof is still faulty, please let me know the address and I'll arrange to have it fixed with no further cost to your mother.
Just send me details of type of roof ( slate, tile, tarred felt, etc) and we'll get it sorted at your convenience.

To prevent future problems, here's what folk should do when they have elderly relatives who are left alone. First, draw up what they call "Powers of Attorney" with the legal people.

This will enable you to keep tabs on your mother's affairs. Basically, you want it so that nobody can do any deal with your mother, WITHOUT YOU.
Certainly, no bank worth their salt ( yes, I know there aren't many, are there:sad:) will proceed without your sanction.

So, there you go, that's the way to prevent this sort of thing in future. I'll be happy too, as it's just the sort of thing the Murdoch papers and the Daily Mail seemingly trot out month after month.
It reinforces the negative stereotype which they want to portray, and it's silly really as it's so easily prevented with a few sensible and caring measures that are quite simple to follow.
I hope this helps.

One thing about our lot, we don't get so much of the problems relating to the elderly, as our families tend to be the old style , tight-knit, extended sort. The old are respected and treated with care and respect, and we see it as our duty to look after them, just like some non-travellers have similar feelings about their children.
Anyway, let us know about the roof, and, we'll see what can be done.:goodluck:

---

Security and Dangers at Home:

a) My guess is that the figures show most folks die in bed, and most folk die at home.

b) My guess is that most of the actual bombers ( as opposed to suspects) in Great Britain are in fact British born.
The day after the London bombings, I saw some coppers shining torches under the platforms as I was making my way from London to a racecourse in the Home Counties.
I told them that they'd be far better shining their torches into the British colleges and universities, if they wanted to catch terrorists. They smiled and agreed, but kept on shining ( wasting time some folk will say, I suppose).
The problem could be fixed a lot quicker, imo.

--
Happy debating! I'm off to the races! :beer::goodluck::boat::drive::wacko::danger:

sean rua.

" Ignorance is treatable; Arrogance is Terminal."

This thread's not just about terrorists. The underlying motif is of a bunch of miserable Victor Meldrew types who simply love criticising people and can always, with the benefit of hindsight, tell us what a better job they would have done in the same circumstances. God only knows why they're not running the country!

If the police, through a lack of zealousness when in a similar situation, ever allow a bomber to slip through and kill another 56 people and wound a further 700, don't you just know who'll be the first to post on this forum, where they'll excoriate the emergency services for being dilatory!

In respect of Asian suspects, previousi incidents would suggest that due to the motives of the current threats the beliefs which trigger are predominantly held by those of Asian origin.

Channa

And therein lies the reason why terrorists will always be one jump ahead of us. We always search for signs that match the last attack. Once it was enough to have an Irish accent; now it is enough to be Asian. Once it was knives they were looking for, then it became shoes - and so on. One thing you can be sure of is that whenever the next major attack comes it will not feature any of the methods that have been used before. Shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted will solve nothing. If you see anything suspicious then by all means report it but if you go around reporting every young Asian with a rucksack you will not only solve nothing but you will stir up the kind of mistrust and hatred that leads to trouble in the first place. It also leaves the field open to, say, Chinese terrorists to have a free rein because they are not on our list of suspects (just as once the Irish were and Asians weren't). There are crazy people in all societies, whether they be armed Christian fundementalists or just somebody of any race and religion who has been rejected by his girlfriend and decides to shoot every girl he sees. Once again, we need to take care but paranoia is not the solution.

No one can complain that the police should not follow up a report of this sort, but the resources that went into it were somewhat large, and they had effectively finished the "investigation" two hours before they permitted the road to be opened. The cost to the economy must have run into millions of pounds, and the cost of having this number of the three services sitting around for two hours is considerable. The problem seems to be that the police have little knowledge or interest in the real economic world.

A much more interesting question would be..... what would be the number of people killed each year as a result of terrorist activity if the present limited resources were reduced to an amount that you found economically acceptable? Maybe if we did reduce the resources, the terrorists would play fair and stop trying so hard??

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back