M6 closure earlier today... Daisymini or Rubbertramp - was it you? :D

Which post are we talking about..... one on the "No new rules" thread that's been moved to the black hole, or one that's disappeared completely?

(sorry, but if we are not here 24/7 we seem to miss things lately!) :)

The "no rules thread" started by me is still around, i think, but it was closed, the "new rules" thread has gone altogether, but i still think the "new rule" must apply cos my thread got closed, it was getting a bit childish, i admit, i stooped a bit, but when you get members name calling, this is what happens. this is what happens when threads get closed, if your not on all the time, they just disappear, then someone refers to it in another thread and the whole thing starts off again, then peeps get confused who have missed the other thread, confused.com

Who Me ?

NOT GUILTY ! for M6......Been full of summer cold so unable to even puff on my e cig...lol

Which post are we talking about..... one on the "No new rules" thread that's been moved to the black hole, or one that's disappeared completely?

(sorry, but if we are not here 24/7 we seem to miss things lately!) :)

This is getting very confusing - I didn't even notice that one thread had disappeared completely. Was it anything I said? :wacko:;)

I would predict that this is just another thread that is going nowhere in particular - a bit like myself in that respect, I suppose, but
so long as it helps folk pass the time away, I think it's no harm, really. :)

Again, just as an aside,

I remember when we were in Australia we wanted to get transferred from the NT to three locations where the pay was said to be tops.
The details are lost now but I think the places were Papua, Groote Island and Van Diemens Land ( apologies for any dodgy spelling).

Anyway, to cut to the quick, I remember we had to sign disclaimers when we applied for special dispensation to enter some of these places ( where the mines were = probably out in real bush) and one
of them was
that we agreed that the native folk would be allowed to eat us if they so desired! :lol-049:
Culture and tradition and all that, you understand.

Goodness knows what somebody like poor ould Northener would do in the circumstances, but I bet he'd have some little known by-law up his sleeve
that said something like cannibalism would be quite acceptable in general, provided it wasn't carried out by pipe-smoking eskimos disguised as as free-loading asians on Winnebago fora, in which case it would contravene section 69a of the RTA ,dealing with itinerant restaurant workers who work be night and sleep in the POIs be day, etc. ad infinitum.:idea-007:

It must be nice to know al these things. Oh yes, I nearly forgot, the legislation, in place at the time, also stated that we could be hunted down at any time, by spear and/or blow-pipe, according to the whim and fancy of the locals.
Not sure if a similar law applies in places like Scarborough Fair, but I'm sure Condor would know.:help:

The things we had to do to earn a crust! :)

:drive:

sean rua.

" Ignorance is treatable; Arrogance is Terminal."

Goodness knows what somebody like poor ould Northener would do in the circumstances, but I bet he'd have some little known by-law up his sleeve
that said something like cannibalism would be quite acceptable in general, provided it wasn't carried out by pipe-smoking eskimos disguised as as free-loading asians on Winnebago fora, in which case it would contravene section 69a of the RTA ,dealing with itinerant restaurant workers who work be night and sleep in the POIs be day, etc. ad infinitum.:idea-007:

I'm not sure what you're on about or even what you're on as I find your posts very confusing! But I can assure you that I've been to some very out-of-the-way places and stayed in some dodgy digs, including little inns on the Himalayan road from Tibet to Nepal, where you take a clean sheet-sleeping bag and smother yourself with Deet, and similar places in the Far-East where knives and forks were unknown (just chopsticks). Nevertheless I'm sure that all the members find your travel experiences very impressive.

Perhaps your life would be less troublesome if you just posted normally without trying to have a snide little dig at me in every other post?

I would predict that this is just another thread that is going nowhere in particular - a bit like myself in that respect, I suppose, but
so long as it helps folk pass the time away, I think it's no harm, really. :)

Again, just as an aside,

I remember when we were in Australia we wanted to get transferred from the NT to three locations where the pay was said to be tops.
The details are lost now but I think the places were Papua, Groote Island and Van Diemens Land ( apologies for any dodgy spelling).

Anyway, to cut to the quick, I remember we had to sign disclaimers when we applied for special dispensation to enter some of these places ( where the mines were = probably out in real bush) and one
of them was
that we agreed that the native folk would be allowed to eat us if they so desired! :lol-049:
Culture and tradition and all that, you understand.

It must be nice to know al these things. Oh yes, I nearly forgot, the legislation, in place at the time, also stated that we could be hunted down at any time, by spear and/or blow-pipe, according to the whim and fancy of the locals.
Not sure if a similar law applies in places like Scarborough Fair, but I'm sure Condor would know.:help:

The things we had to do to earn a crust! :)

:drive:

sean rua.

" Ignorance is treatable; Arrogance is Terminal."

OMG, I wouldnt have liked to sign those disclaimers!! I thought it was bad enough having to work evenings for no pay at managements discretion.... but thats nothing to agreeing to being eaten!! Although remember that bizarre case recently where someone advertised on the internet for someone who wanted to be eaten, and - someone actually did!!!

Northerner - I didnt read Sean's post as getting at you, I think he was just being humourous, had me smiling

I travelled most of the M6 the day before yesterday, so I pricked up my ears when a friend said she'd heard someone had tried to blow up a bus at the toll booths! Turns out it was a lot more innocent than that...

M6 Toll Terror Alert Caused By 'Smoking Aid'

No, wasn't me either Jenny although funnily enough I was travelling on a megabus at the time, on my way down to Cornwall to get me third bollock removed!
Anyway as an ethnic Celt and while we're on the subject of toll booths I've never been able to grasp the concept of paying to get out of Cornwall or Wales ......should be the other way around surely?

No, wasn't me either Jenny although funnily enough I was travelling on a megabus at the time, on my way down to Cornwall to get me third bollock removed!
Anyway as an ethnic Celt and while we're on the subject of toll booths I've never been able to grasp the concept of paying to get out of Cornwall or Wales ......should be the other way around surely?

it is.any one who for some reason wants to get into wales has to quite rightly,pay for it,and if any one,having got in and then wants to leave in a hurry,there's nothing to hinder their headlong flight. quite right

BTW... I gave Seans' comment a "Like" because I found it interesting, not for any reference that he made to Northerner.

(I would never "clique" on someones' Like button for that reason alone). :):)

Thank you, Northener.
I suppose my normal is so much different from yours.
All made perfect sense to me. Perhaps I'm just used to talking to myself. :cool::bow::drive:

sean rua.

" Ignorance is Treatable; Arrogance is Terminal."

I couldn't possibly answer for the Breton gendarmerie, David, but in UK, I think the police are just human and prefer "soft targets", ie motorists.

Apparently, there are going to be some cutbacks in the force over here. Some folk are quite perturbed by this prospect .

sean rua.

" Ignorance is Treatable; Arrogance is Terminal."

We have the benefit of hindsight and, as a consequence, I think that we're all being very unfair to the police. The smoking bag was spotted by another passenger. Of course it turned out to be a very silly man who couldn't do without his nicotine and tried to smoke his substitute cigarette whilst holding it in his bag and putting his head down into the bag to have a drag.

The passenger simply saw someone acting very oddly and noticed that smoke was coming from the bag. He informed the driver who informed the police. Now, perhaps we've all forgotten the 7th of July 2005 when four young Islamist terrorists travelled to London with rucksacks on their backs and detonated bombs which killed 56 people and injured over 700 others? Tomorrow is the 7th anniversary of the 7/7 bombings, so it's not unreasonable to think that other terrorists may be attempting to celebrate the initial attack by doing it all over again. And of course there's heightened security because of the Olympics, which have often proven to be a tempting target for these maniacs.

So, as far as the police were concerned they'd had a report of a very suspicious smoking bag on a coach heading for London. What should they have done? Ignored it? They did what was right, assumed the worst and put into motion a plan for which they've all been trained, and trained and trained.

As it turned out it was nothing, but they still had to check all the passengers and the entire bus. To do anything less would have been irresponsible and if, on a future occasion, the police don't vet a similar scenario with the same thoroughness and we have another 7/7, the most vociferous complainers will be exactly the same people who have delighted in denigrating the police in this instance.

One report that I read mentioned that ultimately the police used it as a live training session, and if they did, good for them! If it improves their response time and their efficiency when there's a real bomb, a lot of innocent people may be very grateful.

All similar police responses to reports such as this must be predicated on the assumption that the threat is real.

We have the benefit of hindsight and, as a consequence, I think that we're all being very unfair to the police. The smoking bag was spotted by another passenger. Of course it turned out to be a very silly man who couldn't do without his nicotine and tried to smoke his substitute cigarette whilst holding it in his bag and putting his head down into the bag to have a drag.

The passenger simply saw someone acting very oddly and noticed that smoke was coming from the bag. He informed the driver who informed the police. Now, perhaps we've all forgotten the 7th of July 2005 when four young Islamist terrorists travelled to London with rucksacks on their backs and detonated bombs which killed 56 people and injured over 700 others? Tomorrow is the 7th anniversary of the 7/7 bombings, so it's not unreasonable to think that other terrorists may be attempting to celebrate the initial attack by doing it all over again. And of course there's heightened security because of the Olympics, which have often proven to be a tempting target for these maniacs.

So, as far as the police were concerned they'd had a report of a very suspicious smoking bag on a coach heading for London. What should they have done? Ignored it? They did what was right, assumed the worst and put into motion a plan for which they've all been trained, and trained and trained.

As it turned out it was nothing, but they still had to check all the passengers and the entire bus. To do anything less would have been irresponsible and if, on a future occasion, the police don't vet a similar scenario with the same thoroughness and we have another 7/7, the most vociferous complainers will be exactly the same people who have delighted in denigrating the police in this instance.

One report that I read mentioned that ultimately the police used it as a live training session, and if they did, good for them! If it improves their response time and their efficiency when there's a real bomb, a lot of innocent people may be very grateful.

All similar police responses to reports such as this must be predicated on the assumption that the threat is real.

This is spot on, last week at our local sorting office a suspicious package was found, police closed off roads and evacuated residents living near by, i was on my way to work and yes it was a major inconvenience for me as i had to drive about 6 mile out of my way and of course everyone else did so the traffic was horrendous, however, on my way back home i called in the local shop and all the talk in the shop was about how stupid the police were and they had over reacted, i have the same view as you, if that had been a bomb then what? headlines would be police didn't do enough, sort of thing. can't win

any consolation mate i've been here all night
got no idea whats on,feels a bit off

After a few days away Wild Camping without 3G reception, I'm completely flummoxed as to what's been happening on the forum over the past week :confused:

You want the long or short version ?
Ok short then
People liking that they like the likes and other people not liking the likes or that the others even like the likes ?

well it actually started out as a support message for Phil, and a bit of a tongue in cheek joke about pressing my likes button, which obviously upset some members, dunno why, its only a bliddy button FGS

You want the long or short version ?
Ok short then
People liking that they like the likes and other people not liking the likes or that the others even like the likes ?

:confused::confused::confused:

I think I must have been drinking as I didn't understand a word of that. Just give me all the juicy details in plain english :D

Funnily enough, the police stopped a car on the M1 motorway a few days before this incident with the coach. It was a "routine" uninsured vehicle, which the police impounded. When they searched the car they found firearms, along with other weapons and materials. Seven men were subsequently arrested in police anti-terror raids. I wonder if that's why they seem to take these incidents so seriously?? ......

BBC News - Seven men are arrested in anti-terror raids

I've attended incidents like these with suspect packages or substances. Sometimes they turned out to be mistaken identity, sometimes they were "fake" devices (of various quality), and sometimes they were the real thing..... explosive devices or chemical substances deliberately placed to cause injury, death and destruction.

The funny thing is that however fake or genuine they appeared to be initially, we could never be fully sure until we'd "wasted time" by evacuating the public, making the surrounding area safe, providing adequate protection for ourselves and others who needed to be there, setting up various levels of decontamination facilities where appropriate, then waiting for the bomb squad to travel to the scene and carry out their procedures.

I find it very encouraging that you have discovered a foolproof method of telling false alarm or fake from the real thing, so saving everyone all the expense, time and trouble of implementing these procedures. (Of course, I'm only joking..... but then I don't think your comment was really meant to be taken seriously, was it??) :raofl:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back