Jabs over 55 now...

So I get a text message invitation for stabbing, I get home and a letter with the same offer. What they don’t say is what’s on offer. It seems there will be a note on the door stating what they’ll give you that day. So if they are not offering a uk made product I’ll book another day until I get what I want.
I hope this is a joke.
I would be happy with any of the currently approved ones plus the new J&J one just approved in the US.

But .... I think if I were offered the Sputnik (Russian) or Sinovac (Chinese), I may well consider asking for a new appointment.
not that I don't trust the Chinese or Russian, but only as far as I can see them.

We had ours a few weeks ago no side effects on the day but next day we had a very slight headache (we took paracetamol) and we felt really tired but day after we were ok my brother was diagnosed with covid a few day ago the day before he was due to get his jab!

The simple fact is everybody`s different and react differently to different vaccines.

1st, wife who had the AstraZeneca jab had a sore arm bad headache and felt generally off colour from the next day for 24 hours.

2nd, me who had the Pfizer jab just had a slight ache in my arm for a few hours the next day.

3rd, daughter who also had the Pfizer jab had a really sore arm, bad headache and felt quite rough like she had a heavy cold for a couple of days.

All 3 of us are now fine and can`t wait for the 2nd jabs so .......................................................... as soon as you can Boris please (y)

It's easy to be glib and crack jokes - I'm one of the worst offenders.

Seriously not out of the woods yet.

A friend of mine informs me that 2 people known to her for a long time have died from covid this last week - a friend's daughter, age 47, and a customer at age 55. Don't know if they had underlying health conditions or not, but getting vaccinated is a serious business.

It said 56+ on the news this morning. It went exactly the same with the last one. It didn't go down in 5 year increments like they originally listed. It was 65 & over, then 64 & over then 60 & over.
I think the 64 only came into it for vulnerable adults between 16-64... because the 65 and over group (vulnerable or not) had already been done. Here's the JCVI list from .gov...
  1. residents in a care home for older adults and their carers
  2. all those 80 years of age and over and frontline health and social care workers
  3. all those 75 years of age and over
  4. all those 70 years of age and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals
  5. all those 65 years of age and over
  6. all individuals aged 16 years to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality[footnote 3]
  7. all those 60 years of age and over
  8. all those 55 years of age and over
  9. all those 50 years of age and over

Last edited:
I think the 64 only came into it for vulnerable adults between 16-64... because the 65 and over group (vulnerable or not) had already been done. Here's the JVCI list from .gov...
  1. residents in a care home for older adults and their carers
  2. all those 80 years of age and over and frontline health and social care workers
  3. all those 75 years of age and over
  4. all those 70 years of age and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals
  5. all those 65 years of age and over
  6. all individuals aged 16 years to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality[footnote 3]
  7. all those 60 years of age and over
  8. all those 55 years of age and over
  9. all those 50 years of age and over

Neil got his letter last weekend (Saturday 6th March 2021).

Group 8, all those 55 years and over.

I have just this minute went back to ScotGov covid calculator. See below for detail for my age @ 64.

"This calculator estimates where you are in the queue to receive a Covid vaccine. It is based on the proportion of people vaccinated since December 8 - the government have vowed that all adults will be offered the first dose by July 31.
Updated to latest figures, including the additional people newly identified with multiple risk factors that make them more vulnerable to Covid-19
Given a vaccination average of 23,727 people a day, you should expect to receive your first dose between 04/04/2021 and 16/04/2021"

The above jab window date is same when I did an on-line check two week ago. So if there is a delay, Jean, why are dates the same? Bear in mind NHS Lothian are one of the worst for getting the vaccine out and into arms. Also, what are your credentials to justify the claims you make in your post?
My credentials, I work in the NHS that is as far as I will go with that. The government have set these proposed dates, there was a blip in supply in the last few weeks but this is picking up again. The vaccine centres are very efficient and will probably meet the targets.

I got mine exactly same day Marie.On Monday 8th yesterday I got the local Gp text Am now booked in for Tues 16th locally,within 6 miles at Community hall.

Great! You'll be jabbed and over it in no time :)

As a little reassurance, my particular CEV 'category' wasn't even tested in the vaccine trials, so I'm 100% guinea pig 🐹

Don't be put off by some of the whinging willies with "man flu" symptoms on here! 🤪 😂
Reckon if you're reasonably fit and healthy you should be absolutely fine 😉 (y)

I would be happy with any of the currently approved ones plus the new J&J one just approved in the US.

But .... I think if I were offered the Sputnik (Russian) or Sinovac (Chinese), I may well consider asking for a new appointment.
not that I don't trust the Chinese or Russian, but only as far as I can see them.
The next one along should be Moderna, then J&J, IIRC.
As for Sputnik and Sinovac, "Never say Never" is my motto.
It's very unlikely we will see Sinovac here, both for political and clinical reasons.
As for Sputnik, it's also unlikely due to political reasons, but there is some in the country, and a 'mix and match' of Sputnik and AZ is being investigated.
Either way they would need to be approved in this country, and I hope we won't just be taking their word on how effective they are.

The next one along should be Moderna, then J&J, IIRC.
As for Sputnik and Sinovac, "Never say Never" is my motto.
It's very unlikely we will see Sinovac here, both for political and clinical reasons.
As for Sputnik, it's also unlikely due to political reasons, but there is some in the country, and a 'mix and match' of Sputnik and AZ is being investigated.
Either way they would need to be approved in this country, and I hope we won't just be taking their word on how effective they are.
Sputnik and Sinovac is getting used in Eastern Europe, with countries bypassing the EMA incompetence. Sputnik is also likely to be approved in Germany for the same reason. So it is possible it may be approved in the UK (but given the russians penchant for injecting people in attempts to kill them, probably unlikely).

Sputnik is new brand name for Novichoc. o_O
just one example as well.
Maybe people will start to realise why the reluctance? Sputnik could well have come out of the same research facility in Russia that is their equivalent of Porton Down 😒

Great! You'll be jabbed and over it in no time :)

As a little reassurance, my particular CEV 'category' wasn't even tested in the vaccine trials, so I'm 100% guinea pig 🐹

Don't be put off by some of the whinging willies with "man flu" symptoms on here! 🤪 😂
Reckon if you're reasonably fit and healthy you should be absolutely fine 😉 (y)

Thank you Marie I hope your husband Neil has managed to arrange an appointment as well?:):)

All done for me. In and out in less than 15 minutes most of which was chatting to the retired nurse who gave the injection. Lovely lady, thanked her for what she had done previously and for what she is doing now.
No need to wait 15 minutes with the Oxford/AZ vaccine.

Looks like you are two lots away from being jabbed, and at the rate it's going that will be couple of weeks away, my best tip is if you haven't heard beforehand, go online later next week or week after and see if it allows you to book in.

Bit of a bugger for those of us born in December 1966 lol....

Getting closer though
AND thankfully the numbers of you older duffers getting 'Done' seem to be improving things as a whole ;-)

I was born In December 1961 so have a Jab Appointment next Tues 16th so sometimes age helps BUT it would be great to be born in December 1966 and would be great to be 5 years younger but each year you young uns are catching us duffers up. ;) And my Mrs who was born 1955 had her 1st 3 weeks ago and I was in your shoes then awaiting my letter or text. Patience is all we need

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back