Jabs over 55 now...

Not for all the vaccine in the world. I just thought that we had the one NHS now seems we have the ENHS.. WNHS and a SNHS. and in Glasgow we have the Slow SNHS.
It has been that way for a long time now each area decides how it spends it's money. eg Free prescriptions in Scotland and Wales whilst in England it is £9.15 per item. Which rapidly adds up.

Last edited:
Please don’t ring GP surgeries directly- bombarded by calls about vaccine !
you will be contacted when it’s your time .

On the day I got my letter my wife got a phone call from GP to book her appointment at the local vaccination centre, I waited over a week to see if the GP would ring me before booking my jab online at a vaccination centre just over 10 miles away, my local vaccination centre is 2 miles away.
We had exactly the same But when I phoned to book mine I asked about the wife they just said bring her alone with you same appointment when we arrived no problems went in together

How would you explain England having done all clinically vulnerable, and now on the 56+ group?
NHS figures as of 3rd March in Scotland . 50-54 years old 24.7% vaccinated . 55-59 years old 30.2% vaccinated

If one is gullible enough to believe their rhetoric, they are doing a marvelous job getting the vaccine out there to the people of Scotland.
How can they trot out such crap when everybody can see how its going in England. Someone needs their arse kicking.

Please don’t ring GP surgeries directly- bombarded by calls about vaccine !
you will be contacted when it’s your time .

I wasn't contacted, even after receiving letter which specifically stated in black and white that GP would contact me.

After waiting and checking with other friends who are with same GP surgery and in same "cohort" as myself, I eventually phoned GP as obvious something not quite right. Turns out I had "fallen through the gap"!

The advice is to go through the 119 phone line, online and book with local hubs.
That's fine for most people and should be the way to go, but worth noting the systems aren't foolproof.(y)

I also 'fell through the gap', whereas BiL who is 10 years younger and heart problems was rang by GP.
Four of the family have been through the website, nice and simple, if you are eligible it will let you see dates and venues, not all are necessarily closest, but in 8 bookings (first and second) only one (gf) was at a hub further away, and that was only a 15 minute drive.

I've tried to understand why Scotland is so far behind, and read an article in the Spectator which I won't link to as it gives political reasons. However it does say that some of the delay is procedural, so here's that section;

"The issues Scotland is facing could well date back to health policy decisions made before the pandemic. For all their controversy, Andrew Lansley's NHS reforms made during the Coalition years have stood England in good stead for a mass vaccination programme by empowering GPs.

But the situation north of the border is more confusing. Scottish GPs face labyrinthine layers of bureaucracy when it comes to getting hold of vaccines. First, they have to approach their regional health board who passes on the information to NHS Scotland's National Procurement service, which then advises its 'distribution partner', healthcare firm Movianto. According to Scotland's 'vaccine deployment plan', 'once stock is released for ordering, the distribution partner inputs the GP orders on to their ordering system'. The vaccines are then typically delivered only once a week to GP surgeries. Confused? So am I. With so many hurdles between the GPs and the doses, it’s little wonder the rollout has been so slow."

Not the whole story, but does go some way to explain the slowness.

I've tried to understand why Scotland is so far behind, and read an article in the Spectator which I won't link to as it gives political reasons. However it does say that some of the delay is procedural, so here's that section;

"The issues Scotland is facing could well date back to health policy decisions made before the pandemic. For all their controversy, Andrew Lansley's NHS reforms made during the Coalition years have stood England in good stead for a mass vaccination programme by empowering GPs.

But the situation north of the border is more confusing. Scottish GPs face labyrinthine layers of bureaucracy when it comes to getting hold of vaccines. First, they have to approach their regional health board who passes on the information to NHS Scotland's National Procurement service, which then advises its 'distribution partner', healthcare firm Movianto. According to Scotland's 'vaccine deployment plan', 'once stock is released for ordering, the distribution partner inputs the GP orders on to their ordering system'. The vaccines are then typically delivered only once a week to GP surgeries. Confused? So am I. With so many hurdles between the GPs and the doses, it’s little wonder the rollout has been so slow."

Not the whole story, but does go some way to explain the slowness.
Certainly was slower in Scotland initially maybe (maybe not) due to concentration on care home residents .
Percentage figures in Scotland are certainly higher than the other countries at present .
Not sure if your article explains that ?

someone i know had invite letter \\\phoned for appt..they gave him one 20 odd miles away........i told him to call up and request local one...which he did ...the appt was then 19 march..........next day he either got a phone call from gp or a letter saying appt made at local hub for next day.........i would say call gp.

I had my jab on Thursday, just over 20 miles away.
Local depends on where you live. To us that counts as local.
Abergavenny would have been a lot closer but as we're just over the border we have to go to an English one - ridiculous.

Whats going on here? The next category was originally 55 and over as it says on the title of this thread but if you go into the site its now 56 and over! Im 55! :(

Whats going on here? The next category was originally 55 and over as it says on the title of this thread but if you go into the site its now 56 and over! Im 55! :(
Your comments on OAL haven't gone unnoticed, now you are being made to pay. 😜

As far as the Scots are concerned there can be no excuses really.They have known for a long time a mass vaccination programme was coming at some point, yet were totally unprepared.

It said 56+ on the news this morning. It went exactly the same with the last one. It didn't go down in 5 year increments like they originally listed. It was 65 & over, then 64 & over then 60 & over.

We had exactly the same But when I phoned to book mine I asked about the wife they just said bring her alone with you same appointment when we arrived no problems went in together
When I mentioned getting mine done at the same time I was told only my wife could get hers, that's why I eventually booked online, guess it depends on the surgeries policy.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back