Is it the death knell for the combustion engine?

I bet most people would be very happy if they could even afford a Tesla at nearly £40,000. Maybe the Government should buy us all one. Job done then. It would be cheaper than what has already been spent on Crossrail which will benefit relatively few people in this country. But then it is for London so price seems to be no object.

You don’t need to spend £40,000 and they will get cheaper.
Also plenty of diesel cars are currently around that price.
This is a developing situation, and things will develop.

I was responding to a post about new Tesla cars. Diesel, Electric or whatever my comment on most people still stands. You have no proof they will get cheaper that is just a assumption. Have any manufacturer stated there will be a price reduction. It wouldn't be the first time the public has been held to ransom and this country has long been known as Treasure island to the auto companies.

Given my age and expected lifespan, I don’t see that I will join the move to electric in the foreseeable future. Probably a major factor is available capital to upgrade. My normal vehicle history has been to buy older cars within my means. i look forward to seeing how the secondhand market and lifespan of batteries develop.

My biggest concern is that in order to force the pace of change, government will start to tax fuel in ever increasing amounts in order to virtue signal their achievements in cutting emissions.

Davy

Dont think you will be able to buy electric cars at auction for £100 with a years test,many here do as they bin them at the end of year,as for farmers i dont see any of them buying a 40 grand car to carry the odd sheep in back seats like they do with the £100 jobs.

Given my age and expected lifespan, I don’t see that I will join the move to electric in the foreseeable future. Probably a major factor is available capital to upgrade. My normal vehicle history has been to buy older cars within my means. i look forward to seeing how the secondhand market and lifespan of batteries develop.

My biggest concern is that in order to force the pace of change, government will start to tax fuel in ever increasing amounts in order to virtue signal their achievements in cutting emissions.

Davy

That's how they usually do it and as usual it will be the lower paid who will suffer most.

I bet most people would be very happy if they could even afford a Tesla at nearly £40,000. Maybe the Government should buy us all one. Job done then. It would be cheaper than what has already been spent on Crossrail which will benefit relatively few people in this country. But then it is for London so price seems to be no object.

Economies of scale will kick in and those that can afford a new Tesla every few years will start contributing to the second hand market so what may not be affordable now,will be within the reach of many mid range buyers in just a few years. There's plenty of other brands coming on the market now and they will also help bring prices down.
The best thing about Tesla is the supply chain,it will bring an end to forecourt dealers that have been gouging the public since the model T started it all.
Ultimately the higher prices that current models demand,will easily be offset with low cost electricity and zero maintenance,so in the short term your bank account will take a hit,but longer term ownership will make it much cheaper to own an EV.

I was responding to a post about new Tesla cars. Diesel, Electric or whatever my comment on most people still stands. You have no proof they will get cheaper that is just a assumption. Have any manufacturer stated there will be a price reduction. It wouldn't be the first time the public has been held to ransom and this country has long been known as Treasure island to the auto companies.

And you don't have any proof about anything being posted on here, no one has Faze.
But history shows that any new innovations are most expensive at first.
Once demand increases which it will, once technology improves which it will they will get cheaper.
They have to be affordable for this to work.

Economies of scale will kick in and those that can afford a new Tesla every few years will start contributing to the second hand market so what may not be affordable now,will be within the reach of many mid range buyers in just a few years. There's plenty of other brands coming on the market now and they will also help bring prices down.
The best thing about Tesla is the supply chain,it will bring an end to forecourt dealers that have been gouging the public since the model T started it all.
Ultimately the higher prices that current models demand,will easily be offset with low cost electricity and zero maintenance,so in the short term your bank account will take a hit,but longer term ownership will make it much cheaper to own an EV.
Tesla are at present in a unique situation as to how they market. Similar methods have been tried jam jar,Asda drive, as retailers daewoo and Saturn the states motor manufacturers controlling distribution of petrol/diesels all without exception have failed. When block exemption rules were abolished that should and intended to create a free market but the trading practice of manufacturers quickly prevented that,,,,as for gouging folks eyes out th3 only winners are the manufacturers not customers or dealers

Tesla are at present in a unique situation as to how they market. Similar methods have been tried jam jar,Asda drive, as retailers daewoo and Saturn the states motor manufacturers controlling distribution of petrol/diesels all without exception have failed. When block exemption rules were abolished that should and intended to create a free market but the trading practice of manufacturers quickly prevented that,,,,as for gouging folks eyes out th3 only winners are the manufacturers not customers or dealers

Interesting clip,other auto makers will have to follow if they want to remain competitive.

And you don't have any proof about anything being posted on here, no one has Faze.
Once demand increases which it will, once technology improves which it will they will get cheaper.

For many years BMW said there cars were artificially dear, stating it would be easy to produce far more cars and reduce price but it was policy to keep production relatively low and prices high and for the cars to seem more exclusive and desirable.

For many years BMW said there cars were artificially dear, stating it would be easy to produce far more cars and reduce price but it was policy to keep production relatively low and prices high and for the cars to seem more exclusive and desirable.

Faze first and foremost.
You and I will probably never by an electric car, but if we do it will be through choice. Get used to the fact that at some point this century non fossil fuel cars will take over. You can try to put as many arguments as you like against them, but inevitably this is were we are heading. Things will change, snd human evolution will supply the demand. The sooner we all get used to the idea the better.
Also in our lifetimes we will probably see driverless cars and lorries.
5G is just around the corner and 6G will surely follow.

Thing is you can buy a used diesel car for a few hundred quid. Electric cars won't be that accessible to the man with little money for a long time, if at all....

So we may we’ll still have our diesel motorhomes but will there be any garages selling diesel??? - I get the feeling that as fewer and fewer cars need diesel then garages won’t bother with it - bit like LPG.

Faze first and foremost.
You and I will probably never by an electric car, but if we do it will be through choice. Get used to the fact that at some point this century non fossil fuel cars will take over. You can try to put as many arguments as you like against them, but inevitably this is were we are heading. Things will change, snd human evolution will supply the demand. The sooner we all get used to the idea the better.
Also in our lifetimes we will probably see driverless cars and lorries.
5G is just around the corner and 6G will surely follow.

I am sure you are right and this is the way we are heading but one thing i will not get used to is been screwed over by lying politicians and the like in the name of money. Which i think is the driving force of all this.

Interesting clip,other auto makers will have to follow if they want to remain competitive.
Full of half truths , under the existing system as I mentioned Saturn in the us daewoo in the uk tried musks model both failed, is far from disruptive, direct line via rbs tried retailing online , it failed people want to see and touch it isn’t like buying an insurance policy...equally the set up in the states is totally different to the uk I spent time working for a major dealer group who had us presecence with jlr and Bentley product the markets chalk and cheese in just about anyway you want to measure

I find some of what Tesla are doing very innovative like software upgrades remotely relatively recent technology has made that possible. Lexus just launched a hybrid, traditional network and enjoy the highest customer ratings in the states namely jd power surveys.tesla to press have had limited market threats as Toyota and Lexus Nissan etc become more involved that will disrupt their business model

No they wont,prices will be up for new petrols & diesels to match electric,so in fact most will change over,the gov will work it in there fav, not yours.

Never saw a tesla here but many nissan leaf and one or two beemers,there is one charging point for tesla in ballymena castle grounds for council and thats all i have seen but prob more if i bother looking,red diesel is everywhere,for tractors of course, ;)

There are lots of electric cars on the market, but they all seem incredibly expensive. You pay for a car way, way upmarket from what you get.
A Tesla is a brave choice because of the lack of dealerships, spare parts supply and general complexity leading to unreliability and high insurance premiums. They seem to get a lot of miles from each charge, though. There are plenty of less well publicised alternatives.
A neighbour has a Leaf, which seems a reasonable little car, but in the Pennines in winter, he doesn't get half the mileage it is supposed to. He also has a hybrid for anything more than a shipping trip.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back