Is it the death knell for the combustion engine?

runnach

What kind of heater do EVs have? kind of curious - obviously electric but what kind?
I found during a business trip to Duns using our BMW i3 fleet car not long after the Beast from the East storm, and still very cold, miles dropped off when I applied heater, then I found the bum warmer (heated seats) used that instead of the norm as we know it. Less miles dropping off.

EV's are a learning curve.

landoboguy

I found during a business trip to Duns using our BMW i3 fleet car not long after the Beast from the East storm, and still very cold, miles dropped off when I applied heater, then I found the bum warmer (heated seats) used that instead of the norm as we know it. Less miles dropping off.

EV's are a learning curve.
Yeah I see this recommended on Tesla forums aswell.

Nabsim

Seat heaters aren’t really a substitute though, extremities get cold. If I was spending as much as some of these cars I would expect a minimum of full climate. I get that in my much, much cheaper petrol car along with heated seats, heated steering wheel, mirrors etc. Etc.

I think including hybrid cars in the ban was a mistake, they weren’t in initially and manufacturers will have developed them as can be seen by some new hybrids. We are still building houses without solar and living walls/roofs being compulsory. Our city’s are way behind a lot of the USA ones. The governments is going for easy targets thinking motorists can’t fight back and in the U.K. they are probably right.
Let them ban everything except electric in London and see what happens, spineless politicians. We do need change but they are point scoring instead of doing things meaningful. Oh yes, it will probably costs money though, maybe why Joe Bloggs doesn’t want to lose their vehicle. Current ev’s are not the solution, electric motors driven by a fuel source or power cell are much better option. Does anyone expect the government to chose or do the right thing though?

Tonybvi

I was advised that if you have the energy use it!! (Not sure if they were referring to the EV though!). Unless I know that I am going to be pushed for range I always have the car heater on as I find this much more comfortable than just the bum warmers. Sometimes as a special treat I also switch the steering wheel heater on as well.

Owlhouse

The BBC's science correspondent is Roger Harribin who after an infamous meeting with activists from Greenpeace and Friends of the Earth was persuaded the science of Global Warming was settled so no sceptical views could be allowed. ( Of course science is never settled, and theories constantly challenged to find faults in them. If it is settled and unchallengable it is religious dogma.) His qualification for such arrogance in not allowing the contrary views of thousands of scientists.....a degree in English literature!

A slight correction - the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is 400 ppm which is .04% ( not .4%) The idea of this tiny amount being able to significantly warm the earth is ridiculous. It is like adding a teaspoon of hot water to a cold bath and expecting it to heat the bath. Those thinking that we can reduce this amount should remember if it was halved, plants would stop growing - and all life would slowly die.
Correct - Co2 is 0.04%. I misplaced the decimal point.

trevskoda

My two 2.5turbo diesels ain’t going anywhere. Need my Isuzu pickup because of my rural situation and my T5 camper does less harm than flights to Bendydorm and the likes.
They will insure you of the road with price and very high rd tax. :eek:

Fisherman

The BBC's science correspondent is Roger Harribin who after an infamous meeting with activists from Greenpeace and Friends of the Earth was persuaded the science of Global Warming was settled so no sceptical views could be allowed. ( Of course science is never settled, and theories constantly challenged to find faults in them. If it is settled and unchallengable it is religious dogma.) His qualification for such arrogance in not allowing the contrary views of thousands of scientists.....a degree in English literature!

A slight correction - the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is 400 ppm which is .04% ( not .4%) The idea of this tiny amount being able to significantly warm the earth is ridiculous. It is like adding a teaspoon of hot water to a cold bath and expecting it to heat the bath. Those thinking that we can reduce this amount should remember if it was halved, plants would stop growing - and all life would slowly die.
Sorry but currently we have 412 parts per million a rise of 48% since the start of the industrial revolution. Scientists have shown that if this increases to 800 ppm then that would result in a rise of 5c in global temperature. This would be disastrous. Levels of just 5% are lethal to life. You have to appreciate how fragile life is.
Small rises in temperature produced by tiny ppm of CO2 could prove catastrophic for life on our planet.

davef

Sorry but currently we have 412 parts per million a rise of 48% since the start of the industrial revolution. Scientists have shown that if this increases to 800 ppm then that would result in a rise of 5c in global temperature. This would be disastrous. Levels of just 5% are lethal to life. You have to appreciate how fragile life is.
Small rises in temperature produced by tiny ppm of CO2 could prove catastrophic for life on our planet.
Levels of "5% CO2 being lethal to life" equates to 50,000 ppm - as we are currently at approx 400 ppm thats not something anyone has to worry about !
It has been calculated that if all known reserves of fossil fuels were instantly burnt it would would nowhere near double current levels - and 800 ppm is not unhealthy to humans but very good for plant life, and would have no or insignificant effect on temperature.
The warmist theory of greenhouse effect has it that CO2 warms by absorbing a tiny frequency band of the infra red spectrum - when levels have reached 200 ppm it has absorbed 90% of all that frequency and it takes ever more increases of the CO2 to absorb the remaining 10% - on a logarithmic scale. So after 200 ppm it has very little effect. The climate alarmists then suggest that this tiny increase in temperature causes a slight increase in water vaporisation with water vapour being by far the major greenhouse gas this would cause a further temperature increase in an escalating positive feedback loop. Which is obviously nonsense, as a positive feedback loop would mean the whole system is totally unstable - which long term stable conditions show is not the case......
AGW is just a scam that has transferred staggering amounts of money from the general public to the very rich and allowed nearly all manufacturing to move to
the far east and China where working and environmental conditions are so much lower so allowing the multinationals to make ever more profit.
Getting back to the change to EVs - its now found that tyres and brake wear cause 1000 x the amount of particulates than engines, so changing to electric wont make much difference to that. In fact a recent German study found the exhaust from euro 6 diesels was lower in particulates than the contaminated city air it was ingesting i.e. it was cleaning the air via the dpf.
As usual the government is making is making a mountain out of a molehill - it is like they are deliberately destroying our industrial base and way of life, ending freedoms and ever more tightly controlling us. Could it be they are following Agenda 21 to move everyone into cities, turn the countryside into re-wilded wilderness and it then envisioned a much lower population....... caronavirus??

caledonia

Levels of "5% CO2 being lethal to life" equates to 50,000 ppm - as we are currently at approx 400 ppm thats not something anyone has to worry about !
It has been calculated that if all known reserves of fossil fuels were instantly burnt it would would nowhere near double current levels - and 800 ppm is not unhealthy to humans but very good for plant life, and would have no or insignificant effect on temperature.
The warmist theory of greenhouse effect has it that CO2 warms by absorbing a tiny frequency band of the infra red spectrum - when levels have reached 200 ppm it has absorbed 90% of all that frequency and it takes ever more increases of the CO2 to absorb the remaining 10% - on a logarithmic scale. So after 200 ppm it has very little effect. The climate alarmists then suggest that this tiny increase in temperature causes a slight increase in water vaporisation with water vapour being by far the major greenhouse gas this would cause a further temperature increase in an escalating positive feedback loop. Which is obviously nonsense, as a positive feedback loop would mean the whole system is totally unstable - which long term stable conditions show is not the case......
AGW is just a scam that has transferred staggering amounts of money from the general public to the very rich and allowed nearly all manufacturing to move to
the far east and China where working and environmental conditions are so much lower so allowing the multinationals to make ever more profit.
Getting back to the change to EVs - its now found that tyres and brake wear cause 1000 x the amount of particulates than engines, so changing to electric wont make much difference to that. In fact a recent German study found the exhaust from euro 6 diesels was lower in particulates than the contaminated city air it was ingesting i.e. it was cleaning the air via the dpf.
As usual the government is making is making a mountain out of a molehill - it is like they are deliberately destroying our industrial base and way of life, ending freedoms and ever more tightly controlling us. Could it be they are following Agenda 21 to move everyone into cities, turn the countryside into re-wilded wilderness and it then envisioned a much lower population....... caronavirus??
Well said that man👍

Robmac

Great thread folks and some interesting facts and figures from both sides.

So much so that I am no longer sure on which side I stand any more. Certainly some food for thought from davef which I wouldn't have known about.

I shall follow with interest.

Fisherman

I was not suggesting that we will ever see levels of 5% CO2 in our atmosphere. I was merely pointing out that such a small level of CO2 would prove fatal.
Also long before such dramatic increase in CO2 would have occurred I doubt if many would be here to witness it.
You really fail to understand just how fragile life is, and how seemingly tiny increases in CO2 levels with only slight increases in temperature can have dramatic effects. Global warming has always been with us, without it the whole planet would be covered in ice at an average temperature of minus 19c. Prior to the industrial revolution the mean temperature was 12.5c currently its 14c due to rising CO2 levels. If we carry on as we are by 2100 levels will reach around 800 ppm. That will equate to a mean temp of 17-18c. This rise in temperature will in part be due to a rise in water vapour due to an increase of evaporation from the sea. As well as the rise in temperature this rise in water vapour will dramatically change our weather patterns, crating arid parts and areas of the planet with much increased precipitation. Also sea levels will have risen and the incidence of hurricanes and their severity will have substantially increased.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
Greenhouse Effect.svg
The green house effect.svg
The greenhouse effect occurs when certain gases in the Earth's atmosphere (the air around the Earth) trap infrared radiation. This makes the planet become warmer, similar to the way it makes a greenhouse become warmer.
The greenhouse effect is caused by greenhouse gases; the most important greenhouse gases in Earth's atmosphere are: water vapor, carbon dioxide(CO2), and methane. When there is more greenhouse gas in the air, the air holds more heat. This is why more greenhouse gases cause climate change and global warming.
The greenhouse effect is natural. It is important for life on Earth. Without the greenhouse effect, the Earth's average temperature would be around -18 or -19 degrees Celsius (0 or 1 degree Fahrenheit). Earth would be locked in an ice age. Because of the greenhouse effect, the Earth's actual average temperature is 14 degrees Celsius (57 degrees Fahrenheit).
The problem is that recently, the greenhouse effect has become stronger. This is because humans have been using large amounts of fossil fuels, which release carbon dioxide when they are burned. Since carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas, it has caused the planet to warm over the past 150 years.
About 10,000 years ago, before people started burning large amounts of fossil fuels, there was 260 to 280 parts per million (ppm) of carbon dioxide (CO2) in the atmosphere, but now there is over 400 ppm. Most scientists say that having 350 ppm or less is safe for the environment and that species on the planet can adapt to this level. Higher levels can make severe problems for animal and marine life that are already being seen today, such as ocean acidification.
The greenhouse effect was first proposed by Joseph Fourier in 1824. Mars, Venus and other planets with atmospheres also have greenhouse effects. The effect on Venus is especially strong because Venus has so much CO2. This is why Venus is hotter than Mercury, even though Mercury is closer to the sun. The first person to predict that carbon dioxide from the burning of fossil fuels (and other combustion processes) could cause global warming was Svante Arrhenius.

Fazerloz

Not from Wikipedia please that is notoriously wrong about so many subjects its unreal.

From Wikipedia :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Wikipedia is not a reliable source. Wikipedia can be edited by anyone at any time. This means that any information it contains at any particular time could be vandalism, a work in progress, or just plain wrong. Biographies of living persons, subjects that happen to be in the news, and politically or culturally contentious topics are especially vulnerable to these issues. Edits on Wikipedia that are in error may eventually be fixed. However, because Wikipedia is a volunteer-run project, it cannot monitor every contribution all the time. There are many errors that remain unnoticed for days, weeks, months, or even years. Therefore, Wikipedia should not be considered a definitive source in and of itself.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)