Is it the death knell for the combustion engine?

What you will really enjoy are the over the air updates - typically every 2 to 4 weeks. These can completely change things on the car (some for the better, some for the worse!), but it’s always exciting.

Interesting article Rob, vertainly squashes some of

Does it have the supercharged enabled mode? 0-60 in 2.5 seconds is pants changingly fast. If money was no object it would be a Tesla for me too, I love the styling, the speed and the price is a lot less than some super fast sports car.
A four year old, 39k on clock, supercharged Tesla currently on Ebay for £50k. Now, what's all this crowd funding malarkey about? ;)
It's the 2.8 (maybe 2.6) version Ral. It's got 16k on the clock. I'm looking forward to giving it a go. I drive quite a bit but never more than 130 miles so just makes sense if the figures stack up.
They call the supercharged mode.... ludicrous mode. And it then asks do you really want to do this or call home for mommy :p

What you will really enjoy are the over the air updates - typically every 2 to 4 weeks. These can completely change things on the car (some for the better, some for the worse!), but it’s always exciting.

Wouldn't want anyone able to access my car's brain remotely, see earlier post! Technology gone too far if you ask me. Some folk seem hell bent on tech just for the sake of it. What if remote updates change some setting mid journey? When someone is injured or worse, they will say sorry & re jig things again, but that will be no consolation to the injured party....

Wouldn't want anyone able to access my car's brain remotely, see earlier post! Technology gone too far if you ask me. Some folk seem hell bent on tech just for the sake of it. What if remote updates change some setting mid journey? When someone is injured or worse, they will say sorry & re jig things again, but that will be no consolation to the injured party....
I see your point but Telematics can be changed by plugging in laptops and cables when going to a garage now ordinary. No real difference except you don't have to trot to a garage. Updates can't be done mid journey and most have to be accepted by driver. The car is unable to be used during those ones... Just like being at a garage but its in your drive.
Big brothers watching but that's the way its going.
Your phone... Pc... TV... Fridge... Stereo.. Sat nav... Mifi... In fact most WiFi enabled products.

The only thing that pricked my ears up is that every journey in every tesla in the world can be picked up by the 8 cameras and lidar systems plus sat nav and fed back to them to improve the autopilot feature. So basically they can know where you have been I think.
Taxi to the game now for me in future 😂

Last edited:
They cannot fiddle with early models and its about all i could afford.
electric car.png

Picked up a hire car the other day offered by the OP's insurance after Neil's prang last week with ours while they sort things out.

It's something called a Vauxhall Grandland X ?

Anyway, it's the most modern car I've ever driven to date and also the most boring to drive by a long chalk.
An electric push-button hand brake?! Plus all the other stuff too numerous to mention. Takes all the mechanical fun and skill out of driving, imho.

I can see it would be absolutely fantastic for anyone disabled, especially if it had an automatic gear box, but me - well I like to feel the bends and the bumps in the road and decide which gear I want to be in when I want to be in it!!!
🙃 🤪😉

Also have a great distrust of things electronic with too many computerised chips.

Said it before elsewhere, but I'm someone who likes a good old fashioned wind-up vehicle window and things that can be fixed at the side of the road if they break down. Now I'm not objecting wholesale to progressive technology, but I really resent this wholesale move towards Big Brother. Not a luddite, far from it, but I do like to to try and look at everything with a bit of balance.

That's me tea break over, back to potting up outside - its a gorgeous day here just now!

Yep my new to me proton has electric windows which i dislike along with magic engine control box, i also detest carpets in cars as they get wet and stink, rubber mats were best over bare floor so you could keep an eye out for corrosion,cloth seats is a pet hate to and first thing folks do is buy covers for them,is it just me who likes a hose down car rather than all the posh crap they put in them,after all its only a tool to transport you and things from point a to point b.

The Grandland is marginally better than the Crossland Marie but both of them are horrible. We ended up getting a Mokka X as Caz didn't want another Astra. Beyond doubt the best car I have had in the last 10 years was the 2.0 Astra GTX, like a track day car on the road. I rarely drive the car any more much preferring the van but Caz likes it. I quite liked the Dirty Rascal that Paddy McGuiness came up with though lol

One of my ex trainees is head of workshops at vauxhall and told me to stay well clear as bad built brakes and soft engines,lot of biz men use them here as fleet cars cheap as chips or were.
Police and all other services use Skoda along with taxi men.
I think i read that they are building the UP electric & VW soon to be launched,all down to price.

One of my ex trainees is head of workshops at vauxhall and told me to stay well clear as bad built brakes and soft engines,lot of biz men use them here as fleet cars cheap as chips or were.
Police and all other services use Skoda along with taxi men.
I think i read that they are building the UP electric & VW soon to be launched,all down to price.
they already replaced engine\transmission in my new car Trev, not done 3500miles yet. if I had known they were made in Korea I would probably have picked the Hyundai hybrid instead

With Tesla you get a notification that there is an update available for the car. The notification tells you how long the update takes and you cannot drive the car while it is being updated. It is up to you to select when you want the update to be installed. I always do it while the car is parked up in the garage overnight.

I see your point but Telematics can be changed by plugging in laptops and cables when going to a garage now ordinary. No real difference except you don't have to trot to a garage. Updates can't be done mid journey and most have to be accepted by driver. The car is unable to be used during those ones... Just like being at a garage but its in your drive.
Your phone... Pc... TV... Fridge... Stereo.. Sat nav... Mifi... In fact most WiFi enabled products.

The only thing that pricked my ears up is that every journey in every tesla in the world can be picked up by the 8 cameras and lidar systems plus sat nav and fed back to them to improve the autopilot feature. So basically they can know where you have been I think.

Bizarrely enough the Tesla does not have lidar. Dear Mr Musk has stated on many occasions that Tesla can have full self driving capability using just cameras and radar although quite how this can be done I have no idea. My car just does not like things like roundabouts as there are rarely any decent road markings for the cameras to identify! Not that I understand how any of this technology works so I could well be wrong!!

With Tesla you get a notification that there is an update available for the car. The notification tells you how long the update takes and you cannot drive the car while it is being updated. It is up to you to select when you want the update to be installed. I always do it while the car is parked up in the garage overnight.

I was referring to an earlier post, man buys 2nd hand Tesla with autopilot etc.
When he gets his car home he realises the features aren't working.
Dealer contacts Tesla & is told they had remotely removed the features as the 2nd hand buyer hadn't payed for the features!
Disgraceful carry on, like you buying a used Ford mondeo then Ford turning up to reclaim all the optional extras because you didn't pay Ford for them!
Difference being you can throw Ford out of your yard, you can't stop Tesla remotely "stealing" your extras.

Last edited:
I was referring to an earlier post, man buys 2nd hand Tesla with autopilot etc.
When he gets his car home he realises the features aren't working.
Dealer contacts Tesla & is told they had remotely removed the features as the 2nd hand buyer hadn't payed for the features!
Disgraceful carry on, like you buying a used Ford mondeo then Ford turning up to reclaim all the optional extras because you didn't pay Ford for them!
Difference being you can throw Ford out of your yard, you can't stop Tesla remotely "stealing" your extras.
Customer should have made sure previous owner had paid for all extras. Obvs done it to bump the price up.

There are many stories of whole cars being repossessed and new 'owner' being left without a petrol/diesel vehicle as it was a clone and they hadnt checked when buying so lost every penny

Sounds like original owner had paid for extras but Tesla wanted new owner to pay for them too...
Point of my thread was to highlight the fact that this was done remotely without the new owners knowledge or consent. Surely you can agree that that kind of technology is not healthy.....

Unlikely any of the current government will be around in 2035 - this announcement is virtue signalling at its most destructive. I read recently that building the land based wind turbines required the felling of 3.9 million trees in Scotland. Is that being green?
NASA has admitted that the increase in CO2 has resulted in the extra greening of the Earth equivalent to an area twice the size of America over the past 35 years. See link https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/carbon-dioxide-fertilization-greening-earth
It cannot be argued against - the actual evidence shows producing CO2 greens the Earth.
The belief in man made climate change is just another pseudo religion about the end of the world due to our sinful lives - just another ridiculous death cult.
Hopefully politicians will soon jump off the band wagon before the UK is utterly destroyed by the madness.

Unlikely any of the current government will be around in 2035 - this announcement is virtue signalling at its most destructive. I read recently that building the land based wind turbines required the felling of 3.9 million trees in Scotland. Is that being green?
NASA has admitted that the increase in CO2 has resulted in the extra greening of the Earth equivalent to an area twice the size of America over the past 35 years. See link https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/carbon-dioxide-fertilization-greening-earth
It cannot be argued against - the actual evidence shows producing CO2 greens the Earth.
The belief in man made climate change is just another pseudo religion about the end of the world due to our sinful lives - just another ridiculous death cult.
Hopefully politicians will soon jump off the band wagon before the UK is utterly destroyed by the madness.

Sorry what other government/ United Nations sponsored pseudo religious death cults are you talking about. Apart from war and its weapons, I am struggling to find any, perhaps you could name a few of them for us.
Also are you 100% sure that this global warming is just a myth that won’t happen if we keep doing what we are doing now.
As for greening the earth and politicians jumping of a bandwagon before we are utterly destroyed. Well possibly by staying on the bus they may prevent us all being utterly destroyed.
Whats the worse that can happen to us if we are wrong about global warming.
Well we finish up with a cleaner planet.
If we do nothing as you wish and you are wrong, well god help us all.

Sounds like original owner had paid for extras but Tesla wanted new owner to pay for them too...
Point of my thread was to highlight the fact that this was done remotely without the new owners knowledge or consent. Surely you can agree that that kind of technology is not healthy.....

Yep I agree that this shouldn’t have been done like this. It seems that Tesla added the extras as a freebie to boost sales way back when, then has no record of it. I am convinced that everything will be corrected in the end and that Tesla is a fairly poor company to deal with when resolving problems. However I still feel that over the air updates is the way forward.
My car, although only 4 months old, has improved a fair bit. Those folk who bought the original Tesla’s have seen their vehicles brought as up to date as they can be with their existing hardware so effectively their vehicles are as modern as mine.
My final thought is that as this thread was originally about the demise of ICE perhaps I am taking up too much of it talking about Tesla. I will leave you kind folk to get back on topic!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back