Induction Hobs - The Future?

Neither am I, but I reckon it could be to do with instant high/low settings.
Don't know it an induction hob does the same.
instantly reactive. possibily more so than gas as the plate doesn't get as hot as the gas ring supports.
Turn off a gas ring and remove the pot - how long is it before you can touch the supports?
With an Induction Hob, you can touch the plate within seconds. In fact, if anyone wants evidence of how well the heat transfers without waste, you can put greaseproof paper between an induction hob and the pan and it won't catch fire (try that on a gas ring :D )

Don't get me wrong Bill. I totally agree. They sound fantastic. Im very interested in the technology and getting the best possible power systems for your van. Our current van is from the last century though and ill wait until we change before I even begin to think about putting in banks of solar, new controllers and lithium. Our style of touring has changed though and we now for various reasons stay off grid without moving for some considerable time. I think even with Lithium I would still maintain a similar low usage system to what we have now and would still stick with LPG. I can always whack a Calor bottle on the back of the scooter, I cannot make the sun shine! :D
With you all the way regards lpg Barry, we carry a 13kg and 6kg Calor from the last van, but with a Truma diesel combi heater we don’t use as much gas now. Alpha do our 103ah lithiums with heaters, BMS, and Bluetooth for £399 now. Much cheaper than what they used to cost. The new van came with 2X 100ah batteries which I sold to a poster on here.

As we've never had any issues with a hob or oven, I'd stick to LPG, ditto for the water heater and air heaters, the only issue is the usual 3 way fridge, that I would happily swap for a 12v/240v one if it ever dies, I'd need to beef up solar and LPs, but that would easily be paid for by not having to fork out for a three-way one.

Should we need a new van and have won the lotto, I'd keep the above but opt for a leccy fridge etc before picking it up.

As we've never had any issues with a hob or oven, I'd stick to LPG, ditto for the water heater and air heaters, the only issue is the usual 3 way fridge, that I would happily swap for a 12v/240v one if it ever dies, I'd need to beef up solar and LPs, but that would easily be paid for by not having to fork out for a three-way one.

Should we need a new van and have won the lotto, I'd keep the above but opt for a leccy fridge etc before picking it up.
No doubt about whats the best fridge, its a compressor.
But if you like a large fridge as we do, and do a fair bit of off grid camping (even on campsites I go grass only if possible) then you have to balance things up.
I reckon a 130L fridge could draw 3A, thats worth considering when deciding whats best for you.
To be honest I am undecided on that one.
But I don’t think there’s a one size fits all answer.

Last edited:
I would have to seek advice on the best way to do it to be honest, I'm too dumb to figure it all out, I'd like to know that assuming a week in winter with no sun at all, but driving 50 miles a day most days just how much battery and solar I would need.

I would have to seek advice on the best way to do it to be honest, I'm too dumb to figure it all out, I'd like to know that assuming a week in winter with no sun at all, but driving 50 miles a day most days just how much battery and solar I would need.
All you can do is max your battery storage and usable capacity, whilst increasing your solar to the max, and hope for the best 🤞

You would be alright I reckon as you move around every day. I like the idea of an electric fridge but it would have to be a full size one. Ours is stuffed full all the time and its a full size 3 way. Its a right PIA though. Often needs fixing, blowing out etc. Its ancient though I guess but replacing it is nigh on impossible.

If your driving 50 miles a day you have gone to the wrong place . Lol

Victron battery 2 battery 30amps is to small for me in uk, I'm looking for 100amps b2b . if unplugged for a week in winter as that's my daily usages, for the two of us .if not eating out. But the toilet would be full then so would have move on.

B2b is by the hour 30 amps an hour , mostly less sometimes only 15 amps an hour. Victron Hay and Smart altonators.

The kettle in my van is one of those big LeCrusset things and is extremely slow on the induction hob I have (single plate Vango 800W). When solar harvesting is good I will use a saucepan to boil water on the induction. It’s is slower on my induction than on one of the big burners on my 3burner Smev gas hob. From what Mark posted he gets the same result as well.

Boil 1 litre water, same pan

5 kW gas burner. 3.57 min
2.2 kW induction. 4.04 min

Gas burner does heat up the whole kitchen though.
I better get washing up before water goes cold. :LOL:
Gas hobs are handy in winter as all that wasted heat does have a use ;) Saves using the room heater :D In summertime, you end up using electricity (fans) to remove it, so that is another factor to bear in mind.

Surprised it hasn’t been mentioned yet so I will :)

One big downside of induction is you can’t use it if you have a pacemaker fitted. Or rather you can briefly ONCE!
Possibly over stated, but better safe than sorry. :)
Official NHS guidance
"If you have an induction hob, keep a distance of at least 60cm (2ft) between the stove top and your pacemaker."

Thinking about, if I get a pacemaker I will defo get an induction hob as well.
"I love to help with the cooking my darling, but ............"

Whilst we are on the subject, does anyone know if washing up liquid is dangerous for people who inject insulin (just hoping)

So a pacemaker, 60 cm distance air fryer the next room , and washing up only on a Sunday. If eating out.. yep will incorporate that in my routine. Thanks.

Left Tuesday night in the rain for north Devon coastal trip arrived, bats at 100% Lynton at 9 pm free park till 15th March 24 7. Right on sea views. cooked breakfast and 3 coffees watching tide in the rain ,like misty earry but right under clffs so no solar day. Had a walk around village very nice
( no boarded up shops )
Then onto Ilfracombe to see verities by Hurst. Via lidls, chips
Again free parking till midnight right on harbour wall,then stayed uptill 1am to feed parking meter £ 2.50 till Thursday 8am. Winter rates again . cooked breakfast and 3 coffees watching tide in the rain and goduffers, lovely. Airfryer pizza pie and chips, (Airfryer ! that's not cooking) . Still raining .walked upto both church's and prayed for a dry day . Fridge alarm low voltage it's about 15 meter from batteries had a play
20240215_104256.jpg

35mm wire to fuse box 6m and 30amp wire to fridge. 8m fridge 6 amp draw max. I think invertor is why it's very power hungry @2000w airfryer
Had night walk up to chimley and more goduffers and back round past the fishermen with rods out.
So on to Woolacombe got there about 5 what a view but parking is clear ways from mid night. Park outside tourist information right on the end of free parking up to March 15th again.still raining still and misty. Walked down on beach got to sea as tide was out soaked though 3 layers and jeans from knee down trainers swimming wet.
Where do you dry coats ??? Trainer went on end of heater front pipe

Thank god its Friday and its sunny.

cooked breakfast and 3 coffees watching tide in the rain ! No its sunny. But coats still damp, not wet. So walked upto putts Borough sand as we could see it now the mist and rain had cleard. Nice

Van stay put in the sun mppt worked 500w lol
Screenshot_20240217_123423.jpg

Had fish and chips £28. At 7pm
Saturday noon. its raining again let's drive up to that cliff top view and onto the carpark we walked to I told her ! OK she said. Them roads are lanes lol still raining other drivers are reversing I'm reversing finally got to car park £10 to park . f%ck that, Tom tom take me home as battery is now down to under 10 %
But what a view.

Attachments

• 20240216_155515.jpg
    20240216_155515.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240216_155515.jpg
    20240216_155515.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 15
Am I reading that right, you harvested almost 1200Wh of solar plus driving most days? How much power have you used in that time as you have a lot of lifepo4 don’t you(500Ah ish)?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back