Induction Hobs - The Future?

UFO

Just watched A Bus And Beyond’s ‘2024 Caravan And Motorhome Show - SHOW HIGHLIGHTS’ on YouTube. He showed a range of things not just vans - interesting to see the new inventions / toys!

Some ‘interesting’ vans but who is paying 200 grand for a van conversion?

One thing I noticed is that all the vans had induction hobs. Is this the way van cooking is going? I know some of you have these - what are the pros and cons. How much power (battery) do you need and are these hobs best paired with lithium batteries?

How do you get the power back into the batteries? Solar, unless you have a lot, does not produce much in the UK weather? Battery to battery charger - how big (amps) and how long do you have to drive to recharge the batteries?

I use 2 induction hobs work fine, but if stationary for a few days off grid they like anything will drain the batteries (400ah lithium in my case) so I either run them off the Eco Flow or run the generator. that said in France last year I was getting enough solar to keep the batteries topped up.

Look

Induction Hobs are far more efficient in terms of energy use than 'normal' electric hobs or gas rings.
Similarly with Air Fryers Vs the gas ovens that some Motorhomes are fitted with (and others with none!)
And microwaves are again a very efficient cooking method.

And electricity is no different to LPG as an energy source... If you use, you need a way to replenish it. Could be via solar, could be when driving, could be if plugged in to EHU (or a generator).
Stating the bleeding obvious above really, but so many preconceptions on how things "cannot be done" it is just silly.
I use all the above cooking methods (and have an electric slow cooker also) in my Motorhome when off-grid. Yes, I have a bigger battery bank than most (although the last van I had more and used to heat the water with electric as didn't even fit any LPG system).

I'd say, that is the way van cooking is going, perhaps not quite there yet, unless, like you say, you are spending loads.
Unless you have loads of GVW, lithium is a must.

Only used induction hob a handful of times in my van, 2100W on full, 300ah battery so max around 1hr 40 mins use on full. Boils a kettle outside in no time though.
Adding another 300ah in a couple of weeks cause I do like a hot cuppa.

Induction hobs in motorhomes make as much sense to me as the whole EV thing - only really practical on EHU or if you've got your own generator on board.
Not necessarily ....

Out transit conversion was all electric cooking ...

Solar/split charge
3 x 100ah batteries
And a large inverter to run
Kettle
Slow cooker
Microwave
Air fryer
Toaster ....

Easy to state something doesn't work or won't work when you've no real world experience of it .

Never once needed hook up ...
Summer wise ...the solar handled it easily
Batteries were usually back up to 100% by mid day

Winter time we usually moved on each couple of days
So the Split charge did the work .

Not necessarily ....

Out transit conversion was all electric cooking ...

Solar/split charge
3 x 100ah batteries
And a large inverter to run
Kettle
Slow cooker
Microwave
Air fryer
Toaster ....

Easy to state something doesn't work or won't work when you've no real world experience of it .

Never once needed hook up ...
Summer wise ...the solar handled it easily
Batteries were usually back up to 100% by mid day

Winter time we usually moved on each couple of days
So the Split charge did the work .
I forgot about the Toaster :) Got one of those as well.
The bit I would drop from that list ..... Kettle :D Can use the same Stove-top kettle on an Electric Induction Hob that you can use on a Gas Ring - saves having to carry two different implements to do a single job.
The Microwave is another item that will boil water very well and eliminate the need for a plug-in kettle. In fact, in the US few people in their houses have electric kettles and use a Microwave instead.

Mine fine no gaz. I've used airfryer 2000w 20 mins x3 induction hob 1600 7 mins ( kettle) x5 perday plus breakfasts x3 ,compressor fridge but that was a clean slate van build 2020. ..280ah x 2 = 500 amps battery pack.
Skating around Devons North Coast in the rain. So no solar but b2b if needed. But only hoping so 15 miles a day max

So to answering question a big yes

Need more batteries and solar. But we all say that. Lol

I didn't say it wasn't technically possible, obviously it is, but it seems that cooking and the all-important cuppa is yet another thing that people seem happy to rely on their inverter for. And of course, solar means it's largely free.

Fine if that suits you, but I'd prefer to stick to gas for cooking.

Reading the above I now see why my 100w panel and 120ah AGM battery works for us. The thought of running all that high powered electric stuff you lot are sends a shiver down my spine! 🤣 The most power hungry item in our van is probably Michelles laptop which runs off an invertor and draws about 20 watts! :D

I fitted a gas hob when I built my van, after fitting lithium batteries and an inverter I haven’t needed to use the gas hob, but still have it if needed. I use an induction hob, a microwave and a really useful mini oven, which doubles as an airfrier and a toaster. If the batteries run a bit low, which is rare I pop onto a CCP site for a day. Almost all of our long trips are abroad, so sites are cheaper, to use .

OK, so as a question not a comment, what impact does all this high current drain have on the battery life span? How long would they be expected to last?

OK, so as a question not a comment, what impact does all this high current drain have on the battery life span? How long would they be expected to last?
If you abuse the batteries ignoring safe discharge levels etc ...

Then they won't last long

Charge levels Managed properly and batteries maintained properly ...

The 3 x 100ah I removed from the transit when I sold it (thick end of 5 years back )
After 3 or so years heavy use
And then used to upgrade the motorhomes systems until I upgraded to AGMs
During Covid ....

Are still running my Chinese diesel heater in my greenhouse without issue .

Another thing to consider is the safety aspect, not just the fire risk but LPG emissions can kill you, so can an electric shock come to think of it:unsure:

I forgot about the Toaster :) Got one of those as well.
The bit I would drop from that list ..... Kettle :D Can use the same Stove-top kettle on an Electric Induction Hob that you can use on a Gas Ring - saves having to carry two different implements to do a single job.
The Microwave is another item that will boil water very well and eliminate the need for a plug-in kettle. In fact, in the US few people in their houses have electric kettles and use a Microwave instead.
Most of the Americans I know drink coffee out of one of these and for some reason they like their tea ice cold 😲

Regards,
Del

We have , 440 watts of solar , 300 amps lithium and a 50 amp b2b ,
Running off these is an electric kettle a compressor fridge and an induction hob , lights water pump etc

We live full time in the van and even in the south of Spain with solar working we can only last three days without reverting back to refillable lpg or driving for 2-3 hours to replenish the charge this is our second van with this setup and our batteries have never been full by lunchtime ,

Surprised it hasn’t been mentioned yet so I will :)

One big downside of induction is you can’t use it if you have a pacemaker fitted. Or rather you can briefly ONCE!

Most of these vans you see people putting all the gear in are mainly weekenders, people who use sites anyway or using outside of the U.K. except maybe summer (or short trips).

These days since folks have started adding all this gear I am no longer considered a big user of power at 65Ah per 24 hours but I can assure anyone that 200ah lifepo4 and 300W solar flat on the roof will not sustain off grid stationary use for much more than 3 days. My 65Ah isn’t including induction hob, air fryer or coffee maker which I do carry but only use in the 7 months of the year we can get battery’s recharged by the sun, (not every day though).

If you are wanting to full time in a van forget all the electrics for 5 months of the year unless you are going to use a generator a lot, EV charging points or EHU.

I would like to see figures where electric induction cooking is more efficient to a gas hob, first time I have heard that. My brain doesn’t work stuff out any more but I have a very knowledgable gas man I can ask if someone has figures.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back