I wonder if more folks will do this?...

I think you should be aware that this problem with affordable housing is not restricted to the UK. It is a worldwide problem in most industrialised countries. USA being a prime example as well as in many European countries.

I think there are quite a few doing this already, not only in vans but also boats.

My own daughter lost her house through £80,000 worth of medical bills and so she and her husband, 2 kids and dog moved in with us to save money and get back on the ladder. Having said that, they are too comfortable now and have no intention of moving out in the foreseeable!
They are waiting for you to pop off Rob.😉

I thought builders had to build a percentage of so called affordable houses , but it never happens ,

Oh I think a lot of people do realise they might have to move to get affordable housing, but do they need or even want to?

To get (is that 'buy' for £90k, or do you mean rent for £400 pcm?) affordable housing, folk should consider moving to what looks to be a small, remote-ish village in southern Scotland where the only local jobs available are "low income"?

I think I get what you're trying to say, but it's not really a solution to the general housing situation, is it? 🤷‍♀️
In our village, the only way developers can build new houses is to match them with affordable houses (and that's genuinely affordable on minimum wage) as well, seems to work well for everyone. However, the average rent for a decent 2 bed house or flat is still generally no more then £500 PCM round here. I know where I would rather live!!
I agree the housing shortage is a scandal but not really sure who is to blame, but it's now probably gone too far wrong to rectify.

A big issue is the balance between a Landlord selling or continuing to rent out.

I have a property sale going through just now that at £290k will cost me £35k in capital gains tax, and loose me £1350 income per month.

If I were to keep it on the books it would increase in value and the rental return would also increase, at my stage in life and with no one to leave it too, it makes sense to sell and spend the money, but if I were 45 years old I’d be hanging on in there.

With so many Landlords doing so property values and rents will just keep climbing, the issue with that is those with money and property will get richer, and those without will get poorer.

In the long term this is not a good thing, but I struggle to see any easy way around it, unless we go back to building thousands of council houses.

A big issue is the balance between a Landlord selling or continuing to rent out.

I have a property sale going through just now that at £290k will cost me £35k in capital gains tax, and loose me £1350 income per month.

If I were to keep it on the books it would increase in value and the rental return would also increase, at my stage in life and with no one to leave it too, it makes sense to sell and spend the money, but if I were 45 years old I’d be hanging on in there.

With so many Landlords doing so property values and rents will just keep climbing, the issue with that is those with money and property will get richer, and those without will get poorer.

In the long term this is not a good thing, but I struggle to see any easy way around it, unless we go back to building thousands of council houses.
Any excess money left over will be given a welcome home here. ;)

Spot on.

I could have bet you’d say that, but I have every intention of my last cheque bouncing ;)
Wifes aunt did just that before going into a home, now the have sent us a bill for 10 grand, they have as much hope as me winning the lottery. 😂

Not sure if anyone realises that they may have to move to get affordable housing.
Here in Dumfries and Galloway, houses can still be bought for less than £90k, they may need a bit of decorating but that's all.
I rent out a newly renovated 2 bed 200 year old terrace house with large garden in a small village for £400 PCM, and that covers my costs easily.

For example I know this
https://www.primelocation.com/for-s...h_identifier=ced6cbe898bb0c70577ffcc647823557
, it's been for sale a while. It may not be a dream property, but there is nothing wrong with it for a first home. Plenty of (admittedly low income) jobs around here as well...
Lovely county, Dumfriesshire but don't know about the work opportunities...

Not sure if anyone realises that they may have to move to get affordable housing.
Here in Dumfries and Galloway, houses can still be bought for less than £90k, they may need a bit of decorating but that's all.
I rent out a newly renovated 2 bed 200 year old terrace house with large garden in a small village for £400 PCM, and that covers my costs easily.

For example I know this
https://www.primelocation.com/for-s...h_identifier=ced6cbe898bb0c70577ffcc647823557
, it's been for sale a while. It may not be a dream property, but there is nothing wrong with it for a first home. Plenty of (admittedly low income) jobs around here as well...
Lovely county, Dumfriesshire but don't know about the work opportunities...

Anything wrong with building thousands of council houses?

You could cap rents in the private sector and curb the banks from giving out silly mortgages in the first place, plus plenty of other things that would require governments to grow a set of balls. The banks require way more regulation, imo. To be honest I think most governments have been castrated by now anyway. 🤷‍♀️

It's a balance between what the "government" should do to keep things on a more even keel and where folk think they should keep their noses out.

Whichever way you look at it the problem ain't going away anytime soon.

We basically live in a "rentier" world nowadays, and I don't mean just property.

Good on you with the property sales etc. the way things are going it seems like a very good plan to me (in your case). (y)

N.B. - any chance of a tenner for a starving northerner, guv? 😉 🤣 :ROFLMAO: :cool:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back