I wonder if more folks will do this?...

This time last year, my daughter, daughter in law and granddaughter had to move from their 2 bed terraced house to a 2 bed 1st floor flat because the landlord wanted to sell the house due to the increase in his mortgage, they had a choice of their rent going up from £500 a month to £550 a month for the house to cover the extra mortgage costs, or paying £600 for the flat, which was much nicer, so they moved and I gained 2 dogs. Now he says they need to pay more rent for the flat so they have their names down for a council house.

Meanwhile, my son is paying £450 a month for a one bedroomed flat in town and has just asked if he can move back home. It was costing £100 a week for gas/electric to keep the flat half warm last winter (old victorian building, no insulation) and he doesn't want that expense again.

The good news is he can help me with my 3 dogs.

No,

Personally I find it hard to believe they ain't doing it.

I was going to expand but as Marie would jump on me for talking politics (and rightly so)

Nothing is ever black and white.
There's pain all round at the moment, and not just right at the bottom of the food chain.

We're all aware of it in one way or another, and we're all a lot poorer just now - and I'm not just simply talking in terms of money or wealth either.

This time last year, my daughter, daughter in law and granddaughter had to move from their 2 bed terraced house to a 2 bed 1st floor flat because the landlord wanted to sell the house due to the increase in his mortgage, they had a choice of their rent going up from £500 a month to £550 a month for the house to cover the extra mortgage costs, or paying £600 for the flat, which was much nicer, so they moved and I gained 2 dogs. Now he says they need to pay more rent for the flat so they have their names down for a council house.

Meanwhile, my son is paying £450 a month for a one bedroomed flat in town and has just asked if he can move back home. It was costing £100 a week for gas/electric to keep the flat half warm last winter (old victorian building, no insulation) and he doesn't want that expense again.

The good news is he can help me with my 3 dogs.

Since 2018, landlords have been required to install insulation, draught-proofing and other measures to ensure that their properties have at least an E-rated energy performance certificate.

Your son could raise a complaint with the local council and has the right for an independent EPC at the landlords expense.

No,

Personally I find it hard to believe they ain't doing it.

I was going to expand but as Marie would jump on me for talking politics (and rightly so)
So long as the right to buy thing is in place they would be mad to do so. That is if they had the money in the first place. Most councils can no longer maintain what used to be normal services never mind build housing. BUT… why build new? There is more vacant property in England than people wanting it. Why not make it that anyone leaving property empty loses it?

None political comment , what will happen when asylum seekers get permission to stay and have to leave the hotels ,I live almost next door to a family only AS seeker's hotel , I have never seen any problems with them at all, just kids playing in the carpark ,

Last edited:
None political comment , what will happen when asylum seekers get permission to stay and have to leave the hotels ,I live almost next door to a family only AS seeker's hotel , I have never seen any problems with them at all, just kids playing in the carpark ,
Think there are a lot of empty properties on council books ?
9000 in Edinburgh, allegedly

So long as the right to buy thing is in place they would be mad to do so. That is if they had the money in the first place. Most councils can no longer maintain what used to be normal services never mind build housing. BUT… why build new? There is more vacant property in England than people wanting it. Why not make it that anyone leaving property empty loses it?
No way, how can something you buy be taken of you just because its made of bricks, fact is there are to many people in the mainland and time birth control was manditory to ease things, shortage of food and fuel will be the deciding thing in years to come.
AS i said before why not small kit homes which can be moved from one place to another as needs require.

They build them via a third party housing association which is set up to avoid the right to acquire regulations.

No way, how can something you buy be taken of you just because its made of bricks, fact is there are to many people in the mainland and time birth control was manditory to ease things, shortage of food and fuel will be the deciding thing in years to come.
AS i said before why not small kit homes which can be moved from one place to another as needs require.
The birthrate is only 1.5! We need more births to provide workers!

Not sure what you mean...but Cornwall is full of people who work really hard to scrape a living including my son and daughter.
You'll have to explain scam merchants....
men who come to fix roofs build walls or fit d glass windows, all gangsters over here who in my opinion could not tie there own boot laces.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back