How do you play music etc. in an old camper with just a basic radio/cassette?

Short of sanctions David, it won't stop that's for sure.

But I wouldn't knowingly now buy from a company with a Stonewall case against them.
WEll that meens apple as they have just had the smart watches banned in the USA fo fakery and other things like b pressure settings not being correct, and yes they are made in the ar-e h-le of feck knows where for buttons.

WEll that meens apple as they have just had the smart watches banned in the USA fo fakery and other things like b pressure settings not being correct, and yes they are made in the ar-e h-le of feck knows where for buttons.

I never have or never will buy from Apple as far as I know Trev.

Back to the original query -and I have to admit I haven't read all 6 pages. How to play music in an old camper:
Fit a radio cassette player - if it hasn't got a decent one, you can get Blaupunkt ones from Mercedes or BMW cars for about £35 from ebay. I have a cassette recorder at home on which I can record records, and radio programs. It is a Nakamichi which I bought in 1985 and the thing inside the lid is a joy to behold. Perfectly machined parts, hardly anything stamped out on a press and it all works. I first learned you can get good HiFi when I went to a college Music club in 1970. The BBC came along and demonstrated top quality record players and tape recorders - with good loudspeakers as well of course. We were all amazed when they showed that you can get very nearly as good sound from a cassette as you could from a disc.
Of course you won't get top hifi in a camper - unless a studio engineer built it :giggle:

Back to the original query -and I have to admit I haven't read all 6 pages. How to play music in an old camper:
Fit a radio cassette player - if it hasn't got a decent one, you can get Blaupunkt ones from Mercedes or BMW cars for about £35 from ebay. I have a cassette recorder at home on which I can record records, and radio programs. It is a Nakamichi which I bought in 1985 and the thing inside the lid is a joy to behold. Perfectly machined parts, hardly anything stamped out on a press and it all works. I first learned you can get good HiFi when I went to a college Music club in 1970. The BBC came along and demonstrated top quality record players and tape recorders - with good loudspeakers as well of course. We were all amazed when they showed that you can get very nearly as good sound from a cassette as you could from a disc.
Of course you won't get top hifi in a camper - unless a studio engineer built it :giggle:
Correct and only a linn sondeck along with good amp like a neam etc will be as good as you get, but not many have 50 grand to spend, so the little plugin car joby i posted will serfice in the van, very cheap and mine has been going for years.

50 grand? Is that how much they cost now? I see a couple on Ebay for 3 to 5k. In 1985 I paid £4500 for my Linn Sonndek, arm cartridge, and power supply. I think it might be worth that now. For the life of me I cannot explain why a £500 power supply feeding a DC motor makes the record sound better, but it does. So I bought that as well. That was in 1985, and now I can't hear very well so I have this dilemma of whether to sell it because I can't see the footsteps of the performers in the carpet in front of me ( as I could when playing U2 Angel of Haarlem on a 45rpm single) or just to keep it because it has fond memories for me. My hearing aids distort the sound, although of course they do help me understand what people are saying. But listening live to a Steinway they distort what is patently obviously a pure sound, so I don't know if there is much point owning a high quality system. I should go and hear some current kit in a hifi dealer and see if it is distorted.

Of course, IF you DID read just the very first post, you would have seen the old camper is fitted with a radio cassette player.

3 seconds of reading could have saved you all that time typing ;)

50 grand? Is that how much they cost now? I see a couple on Ebay for 3 to 5k. In 1985 I paid £4500 for my Linn Sonndek, arm cartridge, and power supply. I think it might be worth that now. For the life of me I cannot explain why a £500 power supply feeding a DC motor makes the record sound better, but it does. So I bought that as well. That was in 1985, and now I can't hear very well so I have this dilemma of whether to sell it because I can't see the footsteps of the performers in the carpet in front of me ( as I could when playing U2 Angel of Haarlem on a 45rpm single) or just to keep it because it has fond memories for me. My hearing aids distort the sound, although of course they do help me understand what people are saying. But listening live to a Steinway they distort what is patently obviously a pure sound, so I don't know if there is much point owning a high quality system. I should go and hear some current kit in a hifi dealer and see if it is distorted.
Full upgrade by a secont party makes the price way beyaond my pocket, mine cost me £300 from a chap who bought it for his wife who died 3 mths later, i upgraded the arm the the middle priced one back in the day.
linn sondec.jpg

Wish you guys would stop showing orf with your swanky sound systems! 😜 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: 😘

I think one of the cheap ciggie lighter plug ins for a tenner and playing via the radio might be worth a try as a starter, but I quite like Kev (@Boris7 ) and @REC's ideas too. Portable & rechargeable kit is always useful anyway.

If I manage to get up your neck of the woods this next year David (@wildebus ) the idea of fitting a better dashboard radio etc. also sounds good?

We do have a collection of old cassette tapes as it happens, some of which Neil loaded into the van when we first got it this last summer - but the downside is they are mostly all his taste in music! :rolleyes: 😜 🤷‍♀️ :LOL:

Wish you guys would stop showing orf with your swanky sound systems! 😜 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: 😘

I think one of the cheap ciggie lighter plug ins for a tenner and playing via the radio might be worth a try as a starter, but I quite like Kev (@Boris7 ) and @REC's ideas too. Portable & rechargeable kit is always useful anyway.

If I manage to get up your neck of the woods this next year David (@wildebus ) the idea of fitting a better dashboard radio etc. also sounds good?

We do have a collection of old cassette tapes as it happens, some of which Neil loaded into the van when we first got it this last summer - but the downside is they are mostly all his taste in music! :rolleyes: 😜 🤷‍♀️ :LOL:
Change them to usb sticks and go with the we stick player, you wont look back, and you can take it in any car/van etc, Niel can carry it in his hand bag. 😂

Finally warming to the banjo idea ?

I've tried the rf adapters and the cassette adapters. Both work (badly) but are really inconvenient, messy and short-lived.

I strongly suggest getting a replacement head unit.

If you are not confident about fitting one, pay someone to do it.

I've tried the rf adapters and the cassette adapters. Both work (badly) but are really inconvenient, messy and short-lived.

I strongly suggest getting a replacement head unit.

If you are not confident about fitting one, pay someone to do it.
Had one in my van when i got it, binned it as way to complicated and had to always retune and serch for stations when you go far a way, miles bertter to go with the usb pen drive and b tooth unit, you can also take it from car to van.

Trouble is its almost impossible not to buy cheap crap now. Even the stuff that isnt cheap is often still crap. A few examples I Can think of. I have had two coats from Mountain Warehouse in the past two years. Neither were exactly cheap but both started to fall to bits, one within a year and one in just over a year. All no doubt made in some sweatshop in China. In the end after much wrangling and complaining I got my money back on the second one having exchanged the first one. Same goes for Michelles Walking boots. We both bought good pairs in the 90s from Keswick. Still going strong (Although mine never get used anymore). Michelle has had several different ones in recent years though just because they were lighter more comfy. None of them have lasted.

Same goes for tech. I Can remember when you could drop a computer or laptop down the stairs and it would bounce and probably fire up. Now they are flimsy as anything and nothing is built to last. Phones, you name it. Crap the lot of it and nearly all of it made in China but its almost impossible to avoid now.
Ahah, so there is an advantage in being an old hippy then. For the last few years I have bought most of my clothes from places that import from Third world countries but they but from the villagers who make the stuff. Same with most of my drums, ethically sourced from a tribe in Ghana, guy who brings them in fronts a co-operative for the villagers.

When it comes to tech it’s very hard to avoid China as an origin, even the U.K. made stuff gets the components from China usually.

Blood pressure or pulse/heartbeat? I wasn’t aware they did blood pressure. The heartbeat is bang on though, I always compare whenever I am at hospital or seeing a nurse at the surgery, always been identical. The watch does have to fit properly though

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back