How do you play music etc. in an old camper with just a basic radio/cassette?

mariesnowgoose

So the 20 year old VW T4 transporter cab on our old Autosleeper has a basic radio/cassette. It works fine and, amazingly, the speaker system in the cab is very good!

It has the usual cigarette lighter port which we use for charging phones etc. when driving with a basic USB ciggie lighter plug in adapter, but obviously there's no Bluetooth, wi-fi etc.

I understand you can get various adapters to make use of the cab speakers and play music, podcasts etc. via your phone, tablet etc.??

Anyone already doing this and, if so, any recommendations on what the best adapter(s) and set up might be?

All our gear is Apple (iPhone, iPad, Macbook laptop etc.).

Thanks!

Marie (6th decade Dinosaur! 🦖 😜 )

You could replace the radio with a modern one? That is a simple way.

Don't really want to do that, David.

Well - let me re-phrase that and be a specific: I don't want to do that, i.e. I'm reluctant due to past experience!

Neil has ocasionally swapped radios over on various vehicles we've had in the past and it's always been a bit of a "half-a-job-harry" type of thing (case doesn't fit, radio unit is left loose or badly fitting, screws gone missing, the whole unit shoots out if you have to brake suddenly etc.) - sorry Neil, but them's the facts which nobody can deny (cue song... 🎶🎵🎶🎼 ) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:😜

So basically, if it ain't broke I'd prefer it wasn't "fixed" .... unless by someone who knows how to do it... 😉🙏🤞

So the 20 year old VW T4 transporter cab on our old Autosleeper has a basic radio/cassette. It works fine and, amazingly, the speaker system in the cab is very good!

It has the usual cigarette lighter port which we use for charging phones etc. when driving with a basic USB ciggie lighter plug in adapter, but obviously there's no Bluetooth, wi-fi etc.

I understand you can get various adapters to make use of the cab speakers and play music, podcasts etc. via your phone, tablet etc.??

Anyone already doing this and, if so, any recommendations on what the best adapter(s) and set up might be?

All our gear is Apple (iPhone, iPad, Macbook laptop etc.).

Thanks!

Marie (6th decade Dinosaur! 🦖 😜 )
Buy a banjo

Halfords used to be very reasonable Marie.
A few years back I bought a radio for my car and they fitted. if for buttons.
I reckon David’s suggestion was the best option.
You can buy media systems quite cheaply now, many with CarPlay or the non Apple equivalent, and that’s great for navigation.
Or as Neil is so bloody useless, get yersel another man as well :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Here Marie take a look

Last edited:
There are two options that have been popular in the past and maybe still, using existing T-Rex technology :)

1) the transmitter type of thing you have linked to. You have your MP3 player or whatever, with the headphone socket plugged into an adapter, and then you tune into that adapter using a certain FM frequency on the radio. Works ok.
2) A cassette adapter that you pop in just like a normal cassette tape and that has a lead you plug into your MP3 headphone socket. And then you play the cassette (rather than the radio).
not sure if these are still around or not?

Both sound ok, but the big downside (IMO) is you have to control everything via the MP3 player with its small display and little buttons, so not great whilst also driving.

Changing a T4 single din radio for another single din (i.e. normal height) unit really will be very easy. If you want to drop by, I could do it for you in a matter of minutes. I even have a radio you can have for it if you want?
The only tricky bit when swapping is remembering that the Germans don't wire their vans right and you have to swap over two wires (red and yellow ones) for it to work correctly. That might have thrown Neil maybe?

This is an example of the cassette adapter I mentioned .... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374514034244
To much faffing about here David.
I priced the pioneer unit fitted into the new Motorhome it’s got all the toys you could ever want and more. And the CarPlay works great with TomTom Go and google. £219 on eBay. A few years ago something like that would have set you back a grande easy. I reckon you were spot on with your first reply.
Trying to turn old tech into new tech never ends happily in my honest opinion.
Sometimes you end up doing what you should have in the first place, just buy the new tech.

To much faffing about here David.
I priced the pioneer unit fitted into the new Motorhome it’s got all the toys you could ever want and more. And the CarPlay works great with TomTom Go and google. £219 on eBay. A few years ago something like that would have set you back a grande easy. I reckon you were spot on with your first reply.
Trying to turn old tech into new tech never ends happily in my honest opinion.
Sometimes you end up doing what you should have in the first place, just buy the new tech.
That adapter would not be my choice either. Something you might have used maybe 15 odd years ago when portable MP3 players first started to appear, or maybe in a company car of the time where you could not make changes.

I think the unit I have in my own Motorhome would be hard to beat.... Android based and so can run apps from the google store. Use it for the radio, but mostly listen to my local MP3 library on USB Sticks, using a really good app (whose name I can't recall) that allows me to select by album, artist, genre, etc... all the iTunes kind of stuff but in "good for a dash radio" type of way, plus Amazon Music, Youtube Music, Audible, etc. Is also my TPMS interface, my monitor to all the battery info and B2B performance and loads more, including Navigation (but I like my Garmin more).
Added a wired remote control which is brilliant and shortly (maybe today if I get everything for Friday loaded early enough?) will be adding DAB+ to it as well :)

I'm thinking these sort of things... ?

Music Adapters for Car Aux

Anybody using something similar?

I used one for years in a previous car. No problems.

I also took quite a few to my fiends in Cuba. They had upgraded the radios in their 1950s Yank Tanks to one with FM.

You can also get them with features like a volt meter built in.

You need to check
a) Your radio has FM
b) The radio will be powered when the ignition is off.
c) The cigar lighter will be powered when the ignition is off.

I swapped my modern radio out to fit a old sharp knob tune, why because when we move round the country you dont have to retune all the presets.
So i use one of these toys to play pre recorded stuff of sd card and from phone via b tooth. works fantastic, and i used to sell these many years back when they first came out.
player usb.jpg
m player.jpg

For a tenner I think I would be trying Trevs option above. :D

I have a really ancient version of that for the old iPhone 4. Sits in a cradle and you plug a jack lead into it from your phone and plug the device into the 12v socket. Then just tune the radio in to the frequency. I never use it though. :LOL: Well I have actually when parked up with nobody about to play backing tracks for my guitar through the rear speakers in the van. Didnt work very well as you had to run to the front of the van, press play then run to the back of the van to quickly pick up the guitar and start playing. 🤣

For a tenner I think I would be trying Trevs option above. :D

I have a really ancient version of that for the old iPhone 4. Sits in a cradle and you plug a jack lead into it from your phone and plug the device into the 12v socket. Then just tune the radio in to the frequency. I never use it though. :LOL: Well I have actually when parked up with nobody about to play backing tracks for my guitar through the rear speakers in the van. Didnt work very well as you had to run to the front of the van, press play then run to the back of the van to quickly pick up the guitar and start playing. 🤣
Yeah Barry, you are really selling the idea there ;)

Many years ago had a similar cigrette lighter adaptor where you plug a lead from phone/mp3 player headphone socket and tuned in on radio, worked OK, but I guess you don't have a headphone socket on phone. Maybe instead of changing radio you could change Neil for someone with DIY skills 😝

Tell you what kid.

Buy yersel, or him for Christmas, a Soundcore Bluetooth speaker for thirty quid from Amazon and stream from your phone or laptop etc.

I have a little Bluetooth gadget about the size of a box of gramophone needles. That plugs into an Aux Jack in our car, which doesn’t have a swish radio and works very well with the iPhone. But the Soundcore speakers are very good and play for hours on a charge.

Cheers

H

The FM transmitter solution is generally satisfactory, and for many years I used an SD card loaded with MP3s, inserted in my Garmin, which had an FM transmitter. There were two slight drawbacks:

1) Occasionally, there would be another nearby vehicle using an FM transmitter system on the same frequency, which would cause interference or even completely drown out my own transmitter. Generally, this did not last too long, but could be an issue if the vehicle was travelling in the same direction and at the same speed.

2) It was necessary to select a frequency that was not in use by radio stations in the area. These frequencies change as you travel, and while there are some that are good over extensive areas, you may encounter issues. I had three different frequencies (one near the top of the band and two near the bottom of the band) programmed into presets on my radio, and one of these worked well on a regular car journey from the Midlands to the south coast. It was relatively easy to change the frequencies on the Garmin if necessary, but I did occasionally find myself in areas where all three were unusable.

Both of the above drawbacks are diminished - but not eliminated - if the FM transmitter device is close to the vehicle's aerial. A car with an aerial mounted at the front of the roof rather than the back was good in this respect. Even better was the motorhome, with the Garmin mounted on the windscreen a matter of centimetres from the radio aerial on the driver's-side mirror mount - replaced now by an Android head unit.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back