How do you get on without a garage?

Good stuff, that's sorted. Well, kind of, you have to love the "We do not believe that there are any regulations which specifically" wording. Still, that's as good as can be expected, and shows you've done as much as you reasonably can to clarify the regs.

What next then, anyone fancy finding out if you can carry a small car in ya van. :p 😂

I still haven't heard from the DVSA Trev. But when I do I shall simply send them a copy of the DOT email.

If the DOT say it's not illegal in writing, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court. Unfortunately, I still can't figure a way of getting a scooter in the back of my van without raising the bed about a foot and Julie say's that ain't gonna happen so it looks like a rack on the back but that may give me weight issues on the back axle so a visit to a weighbridge next.

I think this is the guide or a version of it I used Rob 15 years ago to do the maths.

It's worth talking to someone like armitage trailers in Ferrybridge who are the rack experts. They may have fitted one to your van.

For lightweight scooters Vision 110 is 100kg, Suzuki address just 95kg I think and the Honda SH mode 116kg.

I think this is the guide or a version of it I used Rob 15 years ago to do the maths.

It's worth talking to someone like armitage trailers in Ferrybridge who are the rack experts. They may have fitted one to your van.

For lightweight scooters Vision 110 is 100kg, Suzuki address just 95kg I think and the Honda SH mode 116kg.

Brilliant. Thanks Barry.

Good stuff, that's sorted. Well, kind of, you have to love the "We do not believe that there are any regulations which specifically" wording. Still, that's as good as can be expected, and shows you've done as much as you reasonably can to clarify the regs.

What next then, anyone fancy finding out if you can carry a small car in ya van. :p 😂

have you ever watched 'Million Pound Motorhomes' - some do carry cars inside!

(Don't bother watching it though it's crap!)

That program is sh*t.

They should do a program called cheapskate campsite dodger ASBO motorhomers. A dozen vans parked on a car park on the NC500 with a big fire, advice on how to empty your grey water across Tesco's car park, footage of exploding Thetfords in scooter crash, freeloader wannabe rock star gets drunk in field and tries to play Freebird on acoustic guitar.

People would pay good money to see that. Probably.

I'm wondering what all this is about. To me, a garage is somewhere to store a car when not in use, or a large building where you take a vehicle for fixing or an MOT. The rear end of my motorhome has a double bed, and underneath there is a large area that can be accessed via an outside door on either side. Very handy for storage, but I wouldn't call it a garage. Is that what they are called in foreign countries?

I'm wondering what all this is about. To me, a garage is somewhere to store a car when not in use, or a large building where you take a vehicle for fixing or an MOT. The rear end of my motorhome has a double bed, and underneath there is a large area that can be accessed via an outside door on either side. Very handy for storage, but I wouldn't call it a garage. Is that what they are called in foreign countries?

The space under the bed is usually referred to as a garage if it has a large external access door as it can be used to 'garage' a scooter/motorcycle or mobility scooter.

It is a term commonly used in the UK.

Perhaps "boot" is a more accurate term, unless the boot is big enough to be a trunk or a garage 😂

Bit like the estate agents who try and call where I live south Hampstead slopes. They may have misspelt slops.

Perhaps "boot" is a more accurate term, unless the boot is big enough to be a trunk or a garage 😂

Bit like the estate agents who try and call where I live south Hampstead slopes. They may have misspelt slops.

Like St Reatham Mark?

I live just outside St Neots Mark.

I do like to pronounce it San Nayo though. :D
If it's pronounced 'Ko berns', it's a fine port; if you're pronouncing it 'Cock burns', you either need to talk to a STI Medic, or Elaine has just spilled hot coffee in your lap [qv Kelso Rally] ... :ROFLMAO:. Neither of the two latter conditions are anything to clap about ... :rolleyes:

Steve

AS far as i know it already has been put on other foums from the dvla, but Rob is going to confirm it.
The bad bit would be if away from home and told to take the bike out or face the van being compunded or a fine.
Then having to get someone to come trailer the bike home, all in my mind silly, but the law is the law good or bad, unless we can change it.

Out of interest I have just received the following reply from the DVSA Trev;.

Dear Robert

Thank you for your email enquiry dated 21 August 2023, concerning motorhome laws.

DVSA are only able to assist from an MOT perspective and this would not be something identified as part of the MOT.

You could address your enquiry to the Department for Transport.

To which I have replied;

Thank you for the reply.

I have since contacted the DOT and they advise me that it is legal for a vehicle classed as a motorhome to carry a motorcycle in the designated garage area, provided it is securely strapped down and any rules pertaining to the carriage of fuels are adhered to.

That'll do for me.

I live in a high status suburb, 427ft above sea level.
Out of interest I have just received the following reply from the DVSA Trev;.

Dear Robert

Thank you for your email enquiry dated 21 August 2023, concerning motorhome laws.

DVSA are only able to assist from an MOT perspective and this would not be something identified as part of the MOT.

You could address your enquiry to the Department for Transport.

To which I have replied;

Thank you for the reply.

I have since contacted the DOT and they advise me that it is legal for a vehicle classed as a motorhome to carry a motorcycle in the designated garage area, provided it is securely strapped down and any rules pertaining to the carriage of fuels are adhered to.

That'll do for me.
Good man Rob, that settled now im wondering could i get an inflatable lambo somewhere cheap, make it look like as well of as you, cheers for the work Rob.

We haven’t got a garage and I can’t think of anything I’d put in it. The only downside with our van is that we can’t fit recliner chairs in the locker only normal sitters.

The French Chausson website calls it an exterior store.

The U.K. Chausson website calls it a garage.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back