How do you get on without a garage?

Yes and please let us know as this has been going on since the courtcase, we need to know, mind you maybe the food is good in the clink.
Why do we need to know? What do you want, an instruction manual on what you can bung in your van. Because that's exactly what's going to happen, and what for, to be right in a discussion on a forum?

Why do we need to know? What do you want, an instruction manual on what you can bung in your van. Because that's exactly what's going to happen, and what for, to be right in a discussion on a forum?

That's the point though Mark. The DVSA are ambiguous with there replies about what you can keep in your van but quick in handing out on the spot fines.

Personally I suspect that the court case was thrown out but I would like to know.

That's the point though Mark. The DVSA are ambiguous with there replies about what you can keep in your van but quick in handing out on the spot fines.

Personally I suspect that the court case was thrown out but I would like to know.
If they were that quick at handing out fines, I think we'd probably know about it. The fact that it's rare and we all know of one or two cases, pretty much means it's not really an issue. Why make it one?

If 5% of the MH's out there carrying scooters etc, got fined, then fair enough, but that's not the case.

If they were that quick at handing out fines, I think we'd probably know about it. The fact that it's rare and we all know of one or two cases, pretty much means it's not really an issue. Why make it one?

If 5% of the MH's out there carrying scooters etc, got fined, then fair enough, but that's not the case.

I haven't got a clue what figures there are about who has been fined to be honest but I'm not making an issue of it - that has been done long before now via this and other forums.

But I have talked to commercial vehicle drivers who have been fined and I have been stopped by them myself in my work van and not been allowed to continue my journey due to a broken indicator repeater on my mirror which had been smashed by another van about an hour earlier.

No for everyone to see whats ok as folks wont want to be stopped by the roadside, fined or made to unload which could be a big problem.
The other bit is if breaking the rules then no ins cover should you be involved in a crash, you could well be out of pocket big time, better safe than sorry.

Ok, then it's probably the DoT you need to be in contact with. DVSA will inform what's needed for MOT, and taking your bike/scooter off for MOT has already been mentioned.

What about those that move items of furniture, etc, in their MH's, does that take it out of the scope of a MH and into a "living van"?

There's a million other what if scenarios and that's why we have a "spirit of the law". A motorhome carrying a scooter to enable the hobby of motor homing is viewed different to a race van conversion, where the MH conversion part is to enable the carrying out of another hobby.

Ok, then it's probably the DoT you need to be in contact with. DVSA will inform what's needed for MOT, and taking your bike/scooter off for MOT has already been mentioned.

What about those that move items of furniture, etc, in their MH's, does that take it out of the scope of a MH and into a "living van"?

There's a million other what if scenarios and that's why we have a "spirit of the law".
A motorhome carrying a scooter to enable the hobby of motor homing is viewed different to a race van conversion, where the MH conversion part is to enable the carrying out of another hobby.

Very true. Previous correspondence from the DVSA has indicated that carrying other goods could be misconstrued as not being necessary in a motorhome. But I think it would take an extremely over zealous officer to issue a fine for such.

A lot of years back a mate was fined for carrying a drum kit to a gig in his estate car, the old rule now not used was if the rear seats were folded down it became a comercal veh.
So maybe yes carring furniture etc may be ok but carrying stuff to car boot sales or other may well be illegal and outside what the insurance would cover.
We dont get as much probs with rd side mot stops or police these days but England does and can be seen on tv cops etc, overloaded vans seem a big hit.

From another self build forum and context - The van in question was a self build panel van with a purpose built area for carrying a motorbike (or motorbikes plural, it doesn’t say) used for racing that had been registered as a motor caravan. I would suggest that the appearance of the van, possibly covered in decals and stickers which is the nature of such vans that turn up at race meets, may have given the police reason to stop, examine and question the taxation class. The motorbikes in question would have had to have been insured for racing.

Those of us who have coach built motorhomes and who choose to carry a scooter in their garage insured for personal use only to get you to and from shops or to access areas that are very difficult or impossible for motorhomes to enter should not be concerned.

From another self build forum and context - The van in question was a self build panel van with a purpose built area for carrying a motorbike (or motorbikes plural, it doesn’t say) used for racing that had been registered as a motor caravan. I would suggest that the appearance of the van, possibly covered in decals and stickers which is the nature of such vans that turn up at race meets, may have given the police reason to stop, examine and question the taxation class. The motorbikes in question would have had to have been insured for racing.

Those of us who have coach built motorhomes and who choose to carry a scooter in their garage insured for personal use only to get you to and from shops or to access areas that are very difficult or impossible for motorhomes to enter should not be concerned.
Sounds about right. I think I would probably worry more about getting savaged by a Great white swimming off Bridlington beach than I would some official telling me I can't carry my scooter on the back of my van. 🤣 Never going to happen. well 15 years so far and I've clearly "got away with it". This is dafter than a gas attack thread. 😁

Sounds about right. I think I would probably worry more about getting savaged by a Great white swimming off Bridlington beach than I would some official telling me I can't carry my scooter on the back of my van. 🤣 Never going to happen. well 15 years so far and I've clearly "got away with it". This is dafter than a gas attack thread. 😁

That's just how petty this whole thing is Barry. You CAN carry a scooter ON the back of your van but not IN the back! if the reports are to be believed.

That's just how petty this whole thing is Barry. You CAN carry a scooter ON the back of your van but not IN the back! if the reports are to be believed.
Correct Rob, all seems daft to me and you, all drempt up by some nut with degrees coming out his ar-ehole.

I can't remember but I'm pretty sure this was all debunked some time ago on here. I think the outcome was it didn't apply to motorhomes. There is a thread somewhere

I can't remember but I'm pretty sure this was all debunked some time ago on here. I think the outcome was it didn't apply to motorhomes. There is a thread somewhere

Yes it was on Motorhome builder a couple of years ago Barry (as well as other forums), but it wasn't debunked. The last email from the DVSA said something along the lines of a motorhome carrying a motorcycle would be classed as a living van and the senior officer from the DVSA said "If you don't like it, and you clearly don't then contact your MP to get the law changed". (This email wasn't to me by the way but another member who was pursuing this).

Personally I've only been stopped twice by the DVSA, once in the work van as mentioned earlier where I was served with a notice to say that I couldn't use the van until the indicator repeater on the mirror was fixed and they visited my work premises a few days later to check that it was and then removed the notice. The second time was in my last motorhome when It was weighed, passed and sent on my way.

I wish to carry a small scooter, but I don't think it will fit in my van without serious modification but I would like clarification as to whether I can carry one behind on a ramp/carrier which I believe is acceptable and to be honest I still don't think that a court case about one carried inside would stand up in a court of law. The CCC and M&CC legal teams in fact state that they don't think it would stand up.

But it seems that a lot is geared against the motorists these days and they do like revenue so a purge at some point wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Yes it was on Motorhome builder a couple of years ago Barry (as well as other forums), but it wasn't debunked. The last email from the DVSA said something along the lines of a motorhome carrying a motorcycle would be classed as a living van and the senior officer from the DVSA said "If you don't like it, and you clearly don't then contact your MP to get the law changed". (This email wasn't to me by the way but another member who was pursuing this).

Personally I've only been stopped twice by the DVSA, once in the work van as mentioned earlier where I was served with a notice to say that I couldn't use the van until the indicator repeater on the mirror was fixed and they visited my work premises a few days later to check that it was and then removed the notice. The second time was in my last motorhome when It was weighed, passed and sent on my way.

I wish to carry a small scooter, but I don't think it will fit in my van without serious modification but I would like clarification as to whether I can carry one behind on a ramp/carrier which I believe is acceptable and to be honest I still don't think that a court case about one carried inside would stand up in a court of law. The CCC and M&CC legal teams in fact state that they don't think it would stand up.

But it seems that a lot is geared against the motorists these days and they do like revenue so a purge at some point wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Will have to see if I can find the thread but this is nonsense Rob. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

For some reason the rear lounge layout is popular with U.K. motorhome buyers but the garage is sacrificed for this.

In my mind a garage is essential if you have extended 3 month trips in your motorhome.

It seems that every European manufacturer includes a garage at the back but not so if you are looking to buy a U.K. manufactured motorhome. Only a few have rear garages and even then many are on the small side. Very few offer full sized continental type garages.

So a question for those who haven’t got a rear garage. How do you manage?

Over my many years of site ownership over in France, I lost count of the number of motorhome/campervan owners who were all complaining about the lack of storage space in their outfits, yes even those with quite substantial rear end garages!

Did you re register yours as a Motor Caravan?

Interesting thread. We currently have a Bailey Approach 625 with a rear lounge.:eek:
When going off to Scotland for a month at the end of September last year we stopped at a weighbridge, fully loaded, 2 people, 2 dogs, tank of water, half tank of diesel. The only thing missing was the pedal bikes. We weighed in at 3320kg.

I don't think need anything more for 3 months than we would for one, maybe another jar of marmite and more teabags if going abroad.

But we don't take an awning, windbreak, outdoor carpet, flower arrangements, hair dryer, TV, grand piano etc etc., and we've enjoyed many a fantastic view from our rear lounge.
IMG_20221016_080646.jpg

Will have to see if I can find the thread but this is nonsense Rob. I wouldn't give it a second thought.
Some penilty points may make you reconsider if this is correct which im sure it is, you can carry it on the tail, all seems daft to me.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back