How do you get on without a garage?

We purposely bought one with a garage, it was needed for Linda's mobility scooter, it also comes in handy for the chairs especially in mixed weather, when you can pop them in the dry overnight.
Now I've had one it would be high on the list if I was to change vans.
If you have a need for a particular item like a mobility scooter then a garage is a must, otherwise loads of storage is just enticing you to carry loads of stuff that you probably don’t need, I’ve no garage and only 1 side locker, but even though I’m edging to full timing most of the cupboards/wardrobes are near empty.

I know a couple who have a Morello Palace Liner, only 2 of them and they are looking at a trailer for more storage and they only use it at weekends for race meetings.

Our Laika had one, but not a lot os use to us until we went down to Dover to collect two full bathroom suites, we got it all in the garage wrapped in Duvets except the two baths and they went on the roof, we spent the night in Cheddar Gorge.

We were just extending the bungalow and needed two of everything, we even got two bidets but only had space for one, we got the lot for £250 and we had a week away too.

I wish we had one now though for the scooter, I'd be able to have a better one then.

Our Laika had one, but not a lot os use to us until we went down to Dover to collect two full bathroom suites, we got it all in the garage wrapped in Duvets except the two baths and they went on the roof, we spent the night in Cheddar Gorge.

We were just extending the bungalow and needed two of everything, we even got two bidets but only had space for one, we got the lot for £250 and we had a week away too.

I wish we had one now though for the scooter, I'd be able to have a better one then.
Almost 40 years ago, when 'Management Speak' was all the rage, the District Manager was very keen on staff communications and we Managers were instructed to 'cascade the information to staff'. My then colleague, Keith Miller [who had already decided to leave the Bank ...], replied, 'Alan, if passing the information to the team is the cascade effect, is their feedback the bidet response ...?'. To his credit, Alan Bubb, the District Manager did laugh and respond with, 'I might have known you'd say something like that, Keith' :ROFLMAO:

Steve

Our aging Kontiki Rear lounge van has a garage. Just not a very high one obviously. It's full width at the back though but only maybe two feet high. I can get in four lots of chairs, hoses, hookup leads, bucket, scooter rack ramp and basically all the junk I need.

However as it's an old Kontiki it has a Luton overcab bed which we never use also so up there goes all sorts of stuff including often two folding mountain bikes. With the scooter on the rack it all balances nicely. Sadly the Luton layout seems to have gone out of fashion.

Our trips are generally always four to six months and we've always had enough storage space.

Not allowed to cary a scooter, excp a mobility one.

Ive got probably the biggest garage on a motorhome It is great I can get hundreds of crap in there I just call it ballast. We have been thinking of a new or newer van but don’t think I could do without my cave it’s gonna be a hard day when I have to make that decision.

Maybe not in NI Trev (I don't know that for sure though).

But it is legal to carry a motorcycle inside a motorhome in the rest of the UK.
This is advertised on a U.K. website:-

Doesn’t leave much room for anything else though. Even with a garage I favour the external rear mounted rack. Surely this has to be easier than attempting to put a scooter into a garage? All the strapping has to be anchored and fixed also remember.

But I guess whether you use a garage for scooter storage or not depends entirely on your lifestyle and storage needs.

PS we do carry a scooter on a rack as well as filling the garage up to its 150kg load limit. We weigh everything that goes in there with a luggage scale to make sure we don’t overload. The scooter on the back reduces the garage load limit from 200kg to 150kg. This garage load reduction is something to remember if you are carrying a load on a rear mounted rack, or towing.

Last edited:
Maybe not in NI Trev (I don't know that for sure though).

But it is legal to carry a motorcycle inside a motorhome in the rest of the UK.
Sorry Rob it was mainland uk where a van was stopped, by law it must be reg as a living van as in use for a fairground to carry a bike etc, exemtion is a mobility scooter, this was all on record about 2 years back.
Seems to me many copanies dont know or care about the law, your ins may be invalid by doing so.
bikes a.png
bikes b.png
bikes c.png

Last edited:
There is something about being classified as a living van if you carry motorcycles, motor scooters etc but I think it would need reading in depth to clarify for an individual as it comes down to what’s needed for daily use I think. In Kevs case the scooter is a mobility scooter so no problem anyway.
As far as I recall reading, if you remove the motorbike/motor scooter from the van before presenting it for an MOT you are ok.

I knoe Rob you went into this a few years back, still confusing to me, read this.
bike d.png

Sorry Rob it was mainland uk where a van was stopped, by law it must be reg as a living van as in use for a fairground to carry a bike etc, exemtion is a mobility scooter, this was all on record about 2 years back.
Seems to me many copanies dont know or care about the law, your ins may be invalid by doing so.View attachment 122579View attachment 122580View attachment 122581

I remember the case Trev and yes the chap was reported by the (then) DVSA and it went to court but nobody seems to be able to find the outcome.

But the CCC and MCC advise that although the DVSA (VOSA) can report you for what in their view may be an offence it wouldn't stand up in a court of law. It would be interesting to hear an insurance companies view on this.

I remember the case Trev and yes the chap was reported by the (then) DVSA and it went to court but nobody seems to be able to find the outcome.

But the CCC and MCC advise that although the DVSA (VOSA) can report you for what in their view may be an offence it wouldn't stand up in a court of law. It would be interesting to hear an insurance companies view on this.
Are you mad???? Ask an insurance company something like that??? 😂😂😂

There is something about being classified as a living van if you carry motorcycles, motor scooters etc but I think it would need reading in depth to clarify for an individual as it comes down to what’s needed for daily use I think. In Kevs case the scooter is a mobility scooter so no problem anyway.
As far as I recall reading, if you remove the motorbike/motor scooter from the van before presenting it for an MOT you are ok.
Yes, I remember reading stuff about it before too.
Wouldn't stop me carrying one though if I wanted to.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back