Hot water bottle

The TVR's react to the temperature in the room, when they shut they stop the water flowing through the radiator, the hot water won't go in if it can't get out.
p.s. the dial on the boiler controls the temperature of the water flowing through the boiler, set high and the house will heat up quicker, but the uncontrolled rad will always be very hot, set low and house will be slower to heat up and the uncontrolled rad won't be overheating as much.
AH.........think, im getting it a bit now......re tvr.............
does the dial on the boiler....which has no numbers on it...have to correspond with whatever number i set the tvr to....in which case....how the b......dy h...ll can that be achieved...guess work probably....ohhh........so if i turn the dial further up t
THANK GOODNESS FOR ME HOT WATTER BOCKLE.....

thanks for your reply trev.........athough central heating...gas combie boiler was installed 10 yrs ago....i have only had it on
a few times...........as i had a gas hall heater at bottom of stairs...which in winter stayed on 24/7......and kept the hall and upstairs ...aired....dont like bedrooms too warm......last year wall heater went kerput.......so CH was used when it got mighty cold outside..............however...only had rads on downstairs......and opened the bedroom door which were being used and also the bathroom door........ie. heat rises.........
reading your above post.....possibly that was the wrongto do........although the temperature was around 17--18 the boiler was puffing away for ages...then shutting down for about 5 mins..before starting up again......

in the meantime when it gets too cold........I HAVE ME FAITHFUL HOT WATTER BOCKLE WI> ME....lol
Thats because you have not all rads and rooms working constant,that is why boiler keeps kicking in and out so often,think of a car on m/way at 55mph retuning 40mpg,same car in town doing start stop and crawling at 10/15 mph,fule fig drops to about 25mpg,well its the same with ch in a home,set the stats and let it rip.

AH.........think, im getting it a bit now......re tvr.............
does the dial on the boiler....which has no numbers on it...have to correspond with whatever number i set the tvr to....in which case....how the b......dy h...ll can that be achieved...guess work probably....ohhh........so if i turn the dial further up t
THANK GOODNESS FOR ME HOT WATTER BOCKLE.....
No it should be at 70/75 ,open all room trv full and set wall stat to 21c,if you have a hot tank then its stat to 55c,if on gas there will only be a room stat as water is on demand.

thanks for your reply trev.........athough central heating...gas combie boiler was installed 10 yrs ago....i have only had it on
a few times...........as i had a gas hall heater at bottom of stairs...which in winter stayed on 24/7......and kept the hall and upstairs ...aired....dont like bedrooms too warm......last year wall heater went kerput.......so CH was used when it got mighty cold outside..............however...only had rads on downstairs......and opened the bedroom door which were being used and also the bathroom door........ie. heat rises.........
reading your above post.....possibly that was the wrongto do........although the temperature was around 17--18 the boiler was puffing away for ages...then shutting down for about 5 mins..before starting up again......

in the meantime when it gets too cold........I HAVE ME FAITHFUL HOT WATTER BOCKLE WI> ME....lol

On your system ALL the rads apart from, one should have TRV's fitted, when heating is switched on you will find the pump is constantly running, the heating side of boiler shuts down as the water in system goes over temperature then fires up again as heat is lost from the open rad.
We had the same style of heating in our now tenanted house, it was a common set up 20+ years ago, ours had been fitted by British Gas, couple of years ago I fitted a room stat to living room, removed TRV from there and fitted it to bathroom rad.

On your system ALL the rads apart from, one should have TRV's fitted, when heating is switched on you will find the pump is constantly running, the heating side of boiler shuts down as the water in system goes over temperature then fires up again as heat is lost from the open rad.
We had the same style of heating in our now tenanted house, it was a common set up 20+ years ago, ours had been fitted by British Gas, couple of years ago I fitted a room stat to living room, removed TRV from there and fitted it to bathroom rad.
No trvs down stairs,pump is wired to boiler burner and should be just on hot top pipe,when room stat says temp 21.5 c it stops both boiler and pump even though the programmer may be set or calling for heat,once temp in l/room drops down to about 20 or 20.5 the burner will fire until room hits 21.5 and shut boiler/pump down again.
This cycle will happen about at coldest days every 20mins,warm days much less.

Yep but the boiler will still cycle wasting oil,best to get the sys fixed correctly ,2 m/vales £80 ,wall stat wired £10 remote£30 to £60,tank stat £10,control box/programmer £45 best one is centurus c27 as easy to set up and understand.

You don't fit motor valves or tank stats to a combi.

No trvs down stairs,pump is wired to boiler burner and should be just on hot top pipe,when room stat says temp 21.5 c it stops both boiler and pump even though the programmer may be set or calling for heat,once temp in l/room drops down to about 20 or 20.5 the burner will fire until room hits 21.5 and shut boiler/pump down again.
Having lived with and without TVR's I can say that ALL rads except the controll (or open rad) should have them.

If you dont have a room stat and there will be no motor/zone valves the boiler will just keep cycling,the stat on the boiler is just that,there will be two,one you see and a second hidden one in side,these are safety stats on not to be confused with house temp stats,ask you self this how on earth would you boiler over run stat know what temp your living room was at,fact is you have been short changed by whoever put the heating in,and from 2007 it is manditory to bring your sys up to scratch saving you money and apart from the home being comfy to boot,the boiler safe temp stat should be about 70/75c which will pump water at about 65c round pipes,any lower and you risk creosote build up in exhaust flue.
This is for oil heating and not gas.
gosh trev...........dont like to be too hot 17/18 degrees is ok for me.............CREOSOTE build up.....woaaah......i dont think i should put ch on again now.............boiler safe temp stat....what is that...;;;gosh i dont want boiler to blow up......ooohhhh

You don't fit motor valves or tank stats to a combi.
Correct its all inside the unit,oil only for motor valves ,by the way oil is 1.5 p cent more efficent than gas,plus you can work on your oil boiler but never on a gas unit,they have a habbit of going tits up at xmas,happened to a chap i know,£80 for a control board,£350 for chap to fit on xmas eve.

Having lived with and without TVR's I can say that ALL rads except the controll (or open rad) should have them.
Nop.only up stairs in a house,yes most plumbers fit them cause they were tought that way,wall stat tuns heating of and on,all the house will be at same temp.

gosh trev...........dont like to be too hot 17/18 degrees is ok for me.............CREOSOTE build up.....woaaah......i dont think i should put ch on again now.............boiler safe temp stat....what is that...;;;gosh i dont want boiler to blow up......ooohhhh
Here is a boiler stat,big dial set to 70/75 for safety,this is to stop the boiler going to hot and boiling water,inside the little black button is the secondary safety cutout factory set to about 85c.
This is not ment to be used as a temp stat for house though many do so as they have have the controls missing,cheap skate plumbers doing the fitting and folk no wiser.

WEll im of to bed in a cossy 21c with a thin bed cover,see you all in morning (y)
trev...21c......i would be passing out........would have to open all windows to get some air in...............
my b.room is not heated and im still chucking duvet off every so often during the night.......

trev...21c......i would be passing out........would have to open all windows to get some air in...............
my b.room is not heated and im still chucking duvet off every so often during the night.......
Hot woman. (y)bedrooms 18c

ideally you fit them on the flow from the boiler, but modern TVR,s will work fitted to either end it,s better to fit at the end that is better to use. Run the boiler at about 5/8th to 3/4 of the dial TVR’s higher in the main rooms you use any rooms rarely used set at 2 to save the heat for the occupied rooms it,s trial and error for giving advice you will find the best balance for yourself.

Alf
thsnks alf, i will give this a try........dial on boiler was set at probaby below half way.........was afraid to turn it as i wasnt sure of how it all worked and didnt want to upset the balance of everything. although when i do use CH the radators heat up nicely.........apart fro the bathroom...which probably wants bleeding buts thats no problem.............
its just that the boiler doesnt want to shut off too often.............hence meter is just wizzing around.....
we are expecting a cold cold cold spell this weekend....so a good time to try it out as i will put CH on then and see what happens......

Here is a boiler stat,big dial set to 70/75 for safety,this is to stop the boiler going to hot and boiling water,inside the little black button is the secondary safety cutout factory set to about 85c.
This is not ment to be used as a temp stat for house though many do so as they have have the controls missing,cheap skate plumbers doing the fitting and folk no wiser.
hmmmm trying to get me head around this trev,,,,,,big dial set to 70/75............dont have any big dial on boiler with numbers on it.
black button......85c. again no black button or numbers.
this is not meant to be temp stat for house.........ah now then, thats probably goes with what other posts were saying.Hmm

hmmmm trying to get me head around this trev,,,,,,big dial set to 70/75............dont have any big dial on boiler with numbers on it.
black button......85c. again no black button or numbers.
this is not meant to be temp stat for house.........ah now then, thats probably goes with what other posts were saying.Hmm
oh i do wish this would automaticaaly post many times......can someone sort it please. thanks

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back