Hot water bottle

Trev. spelling mistake Piklets the old name for Crumpets.

Alf

You were lucky,dont know what picklets are mind you,but at week end a treat was salt and shake crisps with the we blue bag of salt in bag,how the world changed when cheese/onion & smoky bacon flavor landed in shops,tato ireland in fifties being the first to do so. (y)

as a younger child......twas a tin bath in front of fire..........or stood in the large square butler type sink....whilst getting jugs of water poured over me.
gosh when you think back.....eh/....young ones today ...dont know their born.........would they ever survive is we had to go back to those days
i recall mum and dad telling me what their childhood was like........and thought how lucky we were...running water, elec. gas. etc,......indoor toilet, bath.........
neighbours were more of an extended family,,,,,,,,the street.more of a community...everyone helped each other....so different today......
Pretty much the same for me Trixie. We had a bathroom but I got my daily wash in the sink with a jug used as a shower. The best part was that there was always a warm towel to wrap me up afterwards.........warmed on the fireguard. Hot water bottle was a given and in winter a fire in the bedroom.
My gran had an interesting set up, toilet upstairs and a bath under the window downstairs, covered by a table top with a curtain round. It was plumbed to drain but had to be filled with a bucket cos it didn't have any taps. No fridge, just a pantry at the back of the house with a stone shelf and a mesh fronted cupboard, to keep fresh food in and flies out.
Most importantly we survived and were happy.

Pretty much the same for me Trixie. We had a bathroom but I got my daily wash in the sink with a jug used as a shower. The best part was that there was always a warm towel to wrap me up afterwards.........warmed on the fireguard. Hot water bottle was a given and in winter a fire in the bedroom.
My gran had an interesting set up, toilet upstairs and a bath under the window downstairs, covered by a table top with a curtain round. It was plumbed to drain but had to be filled with a bucket cos it didn't have any taps. No fridge, just a pantry at the back of the house with a stone shelf and a mesh fronted cupboard, to keep fresh food in and flies out.
Most importantly we survived and were happy.

That summed up our Friday night wash in the sink, no showers then.

Warm house at 18c with the new boiler fitted 2 weeks ago. Really cosy at 20.
Hot water bottle enthusiasts get yourself some of the small ones; they fit beautifully in pockets or at your back when sitting round the campfire with that wind at your back

Warm house at 18c with the new boiler fitted 2 weeks ago. Really cosy at 20.
Hot water bottle enthusiasts get yourself some of the small ones; they fit beautifully in pockets or at your back when sitting round the campfire with that wind at your back
Have you all the controls fitted correctly,ie stat in living room and one on water tank,you should have either a 3 port valve or two singles plus a wall programmer,i find the centurus c27 to be the easyest one to use.
Most now fit condenser boilers but in fact they are only 8% more eff and you will never get the price back as they have a short life span unless you buy a bosch woster at over 2 grand,and even it would have to last 25 years,el cheapos only last about 7 years at best.

20191108_093015.jpg

What a soft lot you all are! I still have an old stone house that has no central heating fitted just a gas fire in living room.

once had a house with central heating (well more than once) but it was always too warm for me.

saying that I do have heating in the van that I will put on if I get cold (no gas fire) but would never dream of leaving it on overnight, I would roast

Yes, We do not use as we only use the vehicle in the summer.
However ..We may think they are good in April and September.
The various ideas on water saving/re-using are good.
I am warming to the concept !

16 year old rented a bed sit as i had job through a "government scheme" seem to recall the sum of £18 pound as the wage, bedsit cost £8.00 a week so i was minted, one coin operated gas fire heated a large victorian room used to go to bed with hat, gloves and a big 80's rugby shirt on along with my my now wife, yes we had ice on the inside of the windows and on the bed covers, and one year the landlord removed the sash window to repair in november and put in an ill fitting replacement....putting the original back in in february.

What a soft lot you all are! I still have an old stone house that has no central heating fitted just a gas fire in living room.

once had a house with central heating (well more than once) but it was always too warm for me.

saying that I do have heating in the van that I will put on if I get cold (no gas fire) but would never dream of leaving it on overnight, I would roast
If you heating in any house was getting to warm then it was not installed correctly, 95% of homes have poor fitting of heating which is down to folk/di--heads with certificates,closed sys added these days but this is how its done.
new heating sys.png

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back