Hot water bottle

interesting.........notice all rad valves are on left hand side....joined to red colour......presumably hot water entering radiator,,,,,,,, blue line on right hand side of radiator,,,,,,presumably water exiting rad.

my radiators have temp. valve on right hand side...apart from bathroom ..which is on left hand side........?????
when CH was installed about 10 yrs ago ,,,,,,this bathroom rad was an OPEN radiator...which the installer told me
always came on when CH was on so therefore did not have the radiator temp valve...i think he refered to it as an open radiator......
i then asked him to change it so that the kitchen radiator was the open radiator and the bathroom radiator could be controlled..........this he did.....
never used CH until a few times last winter....and a few times this winter
am now confused as to why this one radiator has valve on opposite side to the others........and what difference it makes....?????????
any HELPFUL ANSWERS APPRECIATED

None, Thermostatic valve can be fitted either side, the most convenient to have access to. Open radiators are usually used on solid fuel systems to save the excessive boiling and banging you get in the hot water cylinder with the heating turned off and a big fire heating the hot water.

QUOTE="trixie88, post: 1036182, member: 50248"]
interesting.........notice all rad valves are on left hand side....joined to red colour......presumably hot water entering radiator,,,,,,,, blue line on right hand side of radiator,,,,,,presumably water exiting rad.

my radiators have temp. valve on right hand side...apart from bathroom ..which is on left hand side........?????
when CH was installed about 10 yrs ago ,,,,,,this bathroom rad was an OPEN radiator...which the installer told me
always came on when CH was on so therefore did not have the radiator temp valve...i think he refered to it as an open radiator......
i then asked him to change it so that the kitchen radiator was the open radiator and the bathroom radiator could be controlled..........this he did.....
am now confused as to why this one radiator has valve on opposite side to the others........and what difference it makes....?????????
[/QUOTE]

Couple of things to note.
If you have a room stat, this is the room that would have no TRV's.
If you have no room stat, then the open rad is usually the bathroom, I've never given it a lot of thought, but it might be because this is often the smallest room with the smallest rad, plus it doesn't matter too much if it get too hot.
Early TRV's where often one way only and had to be fitted on inlet, later TRV's are mostly two way and can be mounted either end.

No mater what plumbers tell you there should be no trv on any down stairs rads but only on up stairs ones,all rads except the bathroom should be piped from motor valve,the bathroom rad should if you like be on input from pump from top of boiler to motor valves,this lets you have a hot rad in the b/room if a calling signal is from either rads or hot tank,handy egh,we trick i do,you can turn it of in summer if you wish.
All hot ends are normal on left of rads but in truth it dont mater one bit,all mine have the blankers fitted at both ends,we tip ,the outlet end should be turned down to about 1/4 to 1/2 turn open to ballance the rads and reduce flow which in turn lets the rads give out the heat before sending water back to boiler,no point sending back hot water,there shoud be a drop across rads from hot end .

If you have no room stat, then the open rad is usually the bathroom, I've never given it a lot of thought, but it might be because this is often the smallest room with the smallest rad, plus it doesn't matter too much if it get too hot.
Early TRV's where often one way only and had to be fitted on inlet, later TRV's are mostly two way and can be mounted either end.
None of down stairs should have trv valves,they will strangle the heating and take the bottom of house longer to knock room stat of,the boiler will still be burning oil,what a waste.
One other thing i find is di--head plumbers fitt the room stat in halls,this is a load of ba--s,its called a room stat for a reason,and it should be in the living room,a tip if a house close all bedrom doors to stop heat down stairs going up,remember heat rises,bungalows are the best to heat as all on one level and use less fuel.

None of down stairs should have trv valves,they will strangle the heating and take the bottom of house longer to knock room stat of,the boiler will still be burning oil,what a waste.
One other thing i find is di--head plumbers fitt the room stat in halls,this is a load of ba--s,its called a room stat for a reason,and it should be in the living room,a tip if a house close all bedrom doors to stop heat down stairs going up,remember heat rises,bungalows are the best to heat as all on one level and use less fuel.
dwellings loose their heat through walls floor and roof, compared to a similar size house a bunbalow has twice the area of roof and floor to loose heat through , bungalow must therefore need more heating than a similar sized and constructed house. thats before you add in the effect of heat rising from ground floor to those above

I bought an old Victorian cottage in the mid 80’s ( two up, two down) No central heating, just an open fire in the back room, no bath and an outside toilet.
I remember having flu while I lived there. Middle of winter and many many trips to the toilet, clutching a hot water bottle for warmth.
But I was ‘appy.............

dwellings loose their heat through walls floor and roof, compared to a similar size house a bunbalow has twice the area of roof and floor to loose heat through , bungalow must therefore need more heating than a similar sized and constructed house. thats before you add in the effect of heat rising from ground floor to those above
Do they not insulate on mainland,all walls/cav here and under floor boards must be done,plus loft and under roof tiles.
thermo.jpg

I bought an old Victorian cottage in the mid 80’s ( two up, two down) No central heating, just an open fire in the back room, no bath and an outside toilet.
I remember having flu while I lived there. Middle of winter and many many trips to the toilet, clutching a hot water bottle for warmth.
But I was ‘appy.............
Martyr to punishment you is,soon to be a leg end of you own lunch time. 😂

thank you for your replies to my post.
None, Thermostatic valve can be fitted either side, the most convenient to have access to. Open radiators are usually used on solid fuel systems to save the excessive boiling and banging you get in the hot water cylinder with the heating turned off and a big fire hea
thanks for reply alf...........i have a gas combie boiler....so no hot water tank. .

so if valves can be fitted either side of rad.....with no problems ..are you saying that.....going by trevs diagram...ie red pipes and blue pipes....you can have valves conecting to blue pipes on some rads in the house and some fitted to red pipes and it wouldnt make any difference.

thanks colinmd........do not have a thermostat in room......only valves on radiators which have numbers 1 to 5......and some sort of a dial on boiler which goes from a thin line to a thicker line???????
if tvrs can be fitted at either end......as question to alf above......surely they would all have to be fitted to correspond with the red pipes...as in trevs diagram..which controls the temp of water entering radiator........im trying to my head around all this.....lol oh no...this post has automatically duplicated....can someone sort it please...thanks

Last edited:
thanks colinmd........do not have a thermostat in room......only valves on radiators which have numbers 1 to 5......and some sort of a dial on boiler which goes from a thin line to a thicker line???????
if tvrs can be fitted at either end......as question to alf above......surely they would all have to be fitted to correspond with the red pipes...as in trevs diagram..which controls the temp of water entering radiator........im trying to my head around all this.....lol

if tvrs can be fitted at either end......as question to alf above......surely they would all have to be fitted to correspond with the red pipes...as in trevs diagram..which controls the temp of water entering radiator........im trying to my head around all this.....lol
The TVR's react to the temperature in the room, when they shut they stop the water flowing through the radiator, the hot water won't go in if it can't get out.
p.s. the dial on the boiler controls the temperature of the water flowing through the boiler, set high and the house will heat up quicker, but the uncontrolled rad will always be very hot, set low and house will be slower to heat up and the uncontrolled rad won't be overheating as much.

Last edited:
If you dont have a room stat and there will be no motor/zone valves the boiler will just keep cycling,the stat on the boiler is just that,there will be two,one you see and a second hidden one in side,these are safety stats on not to be confused with house temp stats,ask you self this how on earth would you boiler over run stat know what temp your living room was at,fact is you have been short changed by whoever put the heating in,and from 2007 it is manditory to bring your sys up to scratch saving you money and apart from the home being comfy to boot,the boiler safe temp stat should be about 70/75c which will pump water at about 65c round pipes,any lower and you risk creosote build up in exhaust flue.
This is for oil heating and not gas.

Last edited:
thanks for your reply trev.........athough central heating...gas combie boiler was installed 10 yrs ago....i have only had it on
a few times...........as i had a gas hall heater at bottom of stairs...which in winter stayed on 24/7......and kept the hall and upstairs ...aired....dont like bedrooms too warm......last year wall heater went kerput.......so CH was used when it got mighty cold outside..............however...only had rads on downstairs......and opened the bedroom door which were being used and also the bathroom door........ie. heat rises.........
reading your above post.....possibly that was the wrongto do........although the temperature was around 17--18 the boiler was puffing away for ages...then shutting down for about 5 mins..before starting up again......

in the meantime when it gets too cold........I HAVE ME FAITHFUL HOT WATTER BOCKLE WI> ME....lol

ideally you fit them on the flow from the boiler, but modern TVR,s will work fitted to either end it,s better to fit at the end that is better to use. Run the boiler at about 5/8th to 3/4 of the dial TVR’s higher in the main rooms you use any rooms rarely used set at 2 to save the heat for the occupied rooms it,s trial and error for giving advice you will find the best balance for yourself.

Alf

The TVR's react to the temperature in the room, when they shut they stop the water flowing through the radiator, the hot water won't go in if it can't get out.
p.s. the dial on the boiler controls the temperature of the water flowing through the boiler, set high and the house will heat up quicker, but the uncontrolled rad will always be very hot, set low and house will be slower to heat up and the uncontrolled rad won't be overheating as much.
Yep but the boiler will still cycle wasting oil,best to get the sys fixed correctly ,2 m/vales £80 ,wall stat wired £10 remote£30 to £60,tank stat £10,control box/programmer £45 best one is centurus c27 as easy to set up and understand.

Attachments

• prog.png
    prog.png
    54.9 KB · Views: 87
  • tank stat.png
    tank stat.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 85
  • stat b.png
    stat b.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 95
  • room stat a.png
    room stat a.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 74
  • motor valves.png
    motor valves.png
    88.9 KB · Views: 87
thanks for your reply trev.........athough central heating...gas combie boiler was installed 10 yrs ago....i have only had it on
a few times...........as i had a gas hall heater at bottom of stairs...which in winter stayed on 24/7......and kept the hall and upstairs ...aired....dont like bedrooms too warm......last year wall heater went kerput.......so CH was used when it got mighty cold outside..............however...only had rads on downstairs......and opened the bedroom door which were being used and also the bathroom door........ie. heat rises.........
reading your above post.....possibly that was the wrongto do........although the temperature was around 17--18 the boiler was puffing away for ages...then shutting down for about 5 mins..before starting up again......

in the meantime when it gets too cold........I HAVE ME FAITHFUL HOT WATTER BOCKLE WI> ME....lol
Cobi gas boilers work differant than oil boilers but both do the same thing

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back