Hank the Tanks Dodgy battery and solar system

I wouldn’t but anything but lifepo4 myself. The cost these days it doesn’t make sense to do otherwise. If you don’t have a gel setting on your inbuilt mains charger I would just pull fuse on charger and leave a separate charger connected up.
I would have to agree with Nabsim, not only do Lifepo4 go down low they charge back up much quicker which is just as important to me.

Regards,
Del

I think at this stage I'm not going to drop in Lithium. Just going to go for a single AGM 120 or 130 like one of the above and leave the current controller as it is. I think the Sergent system has a setting for AGM. Not sure where yet.

I'll get it and some other bits shipped to @yeoblade and he will sort out fitting it.

When you get around to doing the full monty (or not) Barry, You could also leave the original panel and controller as is and go direct to the starter battery, only a couple of wires to do that so not expensive and it utilises what you have already.

You may think Why, well it's a back up of the new system once fitted and peace of mind for the starter battery, and as you've done already you would always have a full battery to switch to if you decide that you don't need lithium at all, just a new lead acid battery or that newfangled lead carbon thingymabob, it worked fine on Hank 1 so why not Hank 11.

I think to be honest is what I would do, and it saves oodles of dosh, most of us don't need lithium.

When you get around to doing the full monty (or not) Barry, You could also leave the original panel and controller as is and go direct to the starter battery, only a couple of wires to do that so not expensive and it utilises what you have already.

You may think Why, well it's a back up of the new system once fitted and peace of mind for the starter battery, and as you've done already you would always have a full battery to switch to if you decide that you don't need lithium at all, just a new lead acid battery or that newfangled lead carbon thingymabob, it worked fine on Hank 1 so why not Hank 11.

I think to be honest is what I would do, and it saves oodles of dosh, most of us don't need lithium.
I can't get my head around anything else Kev now. I think it's now a case of just fitting a single half decent battery as is and see what happens. The current controller is already topping up the cab battery. It Is always showing fully charged. So is the leisure battery right now but of course as David points out it's probably only 30% capacity.

What I need now is opinions on which battery to get. Maybe one of the ones in my links and if it will be ok to put AGM in.

Lead acid is still popular with most, I'd stick with what everyone knows and keeps in stock should you ever need another, then get as many amp hours as will fit under the cover and just get on with enjoying the van as you should.

Lead acid is still popular with most, I'd stick with what everyone knows and keeps in stock should you ever need another, then get as many amp hours as will fit under the cover and just get on with enjoying the van as you should.
Did a setup for a forum member quite a few years ago now and because his intentions was a major overland trip to far-flung places, specially went for Lead-Acid rather than Lithium as if a battery fails for whatever reason, you will always be able to find a usable Lead-Acid battery replacement but the same cannot be said for Lithium in some 1-Yak village.

Did a setup for a forum member quite a few years ago now and because his intentions was a major overland trip to far-flung places, specially went for Lead-Acid rather than Lithium as if a battery fails for whatever reason, you will always be able to find a usable Lead-Acid battery replacement but the same cannot be said for Lithium in some 1-Yak village.
What am I missing, that doesn’t make sense? If you had lithium you could drop a different technology in if you needed to?

What am I missing, that doesn’t make sense? If you had lithium you could drop a different technology in if you needed to?
I agree, you could drop LA in place of a lithium, it wouldn't work perfectly but it'd get you by more than adequately, ultimately a moot point unless Baz intends such a trip.
No wonder the poor lads head is spinning, he's now wondering if he needs to consider his upcoming trip to outer Mongolia 🤣

Thanks. I suggested AGM as the last one we had that I got off @RichardHelen262 for the princely sum of fifty quid (he even delivered it) was brilliant. I think a few said it wouldn't charge to the max but it worked great.

I see what you are saying though. Maybe better to stick in a 120 or 130 lead acid and it should just work without changing anything. When I think about it. We are going to be on hookup for six days after today, then it just has to last off grid for three or four weeks in a field in Devon, then we might tour about a bit before going on hookup again mid September when the bargain pitches come free in Woolacombe.

this is getting daft those batteries now £800 each my scam radar twitching
IMG_1940.png

I agree, you could drop LA in place of a lithium, it wouldn't work perfectly but it'd get you by more than adequately, ultimately a moot point unless Baz intends such a trip.
No wonder the poor lads head is spinning, he's now wondering if he needs to consider his upcoming trip to outer Mongolia 🤣
Sounds like a theme for Baz's latest concept album. Something about intending to go to Babacombe model village and ending up in Turkmenistan.🤣

You could say the same thing in reverse for that matter. But having like-for-like is much simpler. There is also the fact that Lithium is more delicate due to the BMS. A Lead Battery won't care too much about lightening strike. A lithium battery would be destroyed due to the BMS getting fried.

You could say the same thing in reverse for that matter. But having like-for-like is much simpler. There is also the fact that Lithium is more delicate due to the BMS. A Lead Battery won't care too much about lightening strike. A lithium battery would be destroyed due to the BMS getting fried.
OMG David, now you've gone and give him something else to worry about. Barry, ignore the bit above about lighting strikes ok.

Just do the wire and bus bar x2 and fuses in now and put a 200amp bus bar for when upgrading come off that with everything.

That's £100.

Back briefly. I have another issue now. Well it's been ongoing for a couple of days. The only 12v socket on this van which is I think the one Swift fitted keeps blowing fuse 6 on the panel. It's fine with just the TV and the Freeview sat box plugged in and it was fine with the little 300w inverter for phone charging but the inverter threw up a fault yesterday and I heard the double adaptor spark. Fuse blew so I replaced it. Not used the inverter since but I just plugged a single usb adapter in (off the sat nav I think just now and it blew again. Replaced it and it's working through TV and Freeview box ok now. Not that we can watch it for long.

I can't decide if there is a fault with the double adaptor cable, the original socket or the control box. What it has brought to light though is how dependent we are on just one 12v outlet. I really need a couple more coming straight off the battery with an inline fuse.
IMG20240723185914.jpg

This thread is shocking ! Lol

Why is you fuse box fuse blowing. Is the fuse blue, red or yellow

More wire please. Them udders are good upto 5 maybe 10 amps then they become heater.

There are so many more quick fitting for van but cigy still used. So much better to fit permanent fittings I went for these. Mite do in black.

Screenshot_20240419_125856_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240419_125623_Chrome.jpg

Back