Hank the Tanks Dodgy battery and solar system

How would you test the panel? my meters fubared. The ends have come off Ive just discovered. The battery I suspect will show full. I think the issue is it dont stay full for long. Maybe only working 30% capacity as suggested. If the same thing happens with another battery then I guess ill just have to tour about or go on hookup for a bit. Julian (@yeoblade) does have a spare MPPT Controller but we both thought it might be best to leave mine in place as it is topping up the engine battery which by the way is absolutely fine. Been stopped and started a few times today so I am confident after using it for power now and again the past ten days that side is working.
just put the probes in where the cable comes in for the panel, usually the left pair, the battery next to them and load to the right.

I think I might go for this. I spoke to Alpha batteries just now and they reckon for off grid the expedition plus is better than the cheaper Xplorer battery. There is £20 difference in it. Not sure why its better but for the sake of £20 may as well get it. Do we have a discount code with them?

Opinions?

1721822742615.png

Renewed front and rear brake pads,changed oil and filter inc sump bolt,renewed air filter (fuel filter was done recently)renewed air filter,renewed alternator belt and p a s belt
Pricing up new tyres
New wiper blades.
Sorry wrong post place

Get yourself some good lead acid replacements. They have worked well for generations and for full time use. Would never have lithium crap in my van. Lead acid is tried tested and works very well and always has.
Exactly. And while you're at it, I hope you don't waste time with those new fangled LED bulb things? Nowt wrong with them lovely Gas Mantles.

Chuckle. 😁

That's what I like about this forum. It's always funny! Even when I'm in the dark of despair with this feckin new fangled van!! 🤣

Cheers Kev for the code.

I'm in trouble yet again regarding the Gaslow. I checked it yesterday and it was approaching the red level. That means about 2.2 litres left. Michelle says oh it might just last if we are on hookup for six days until we refill on our way to Devon. So I get hooked up and immediately set the hot water to 40 degrees. And I'm amazed that it heated up in 20 min. I then realise an hour later it's on gas not electric. There were words. 😳

I'm not ready to share the story of how I broke the dinette table and the utter disaster with food and a pint of lemonade last night. It's still too raw. 😁

Does it work on Electric as some don't?

Does Michelle understand how any of it works, Liz can just about turn the lights on but main thing is she knows how to drive the cooker.

Oh yeah it works on electric, gas, electric and gas combined, boost etc but I think it defaulted to gas as that was the last thing we had it on when we showered when off grid. The shower and toilet by the way are flaming fabulous. You can see where that extra metre over old Hank went, its huge. If Swift made this van for campsite hopping then 10 out of 10. For off grid use, 2 out of 10 but we can fettle that.

As for Michelle knowing how it all works, Ive only just figured it out myself but its not rocket science really. She's pretty good so will have it sussed. She will have to as I am banned from the Kitchen and front of dinette after last nights disaster.

Chuckle. 😁

That's what I like about this forum. It's always funny! Even when I'm in the dark of despair with this feckin new fangled van!! 🤣

Cheers Kev for the code.

I'm in trouble yet again regarding the Gaslow. I checked it yesterday and it was approaching the red level. That means about 2.2 litres left. Michelle says oh it might just last if we are on hookup for six days until we refill on our way to Devon. So I get hooked up and immediately set the hot water to 40 degrees. And I'm amazed that it heated up in 20 min. I then realise an hour later it's on gas not electric. There were words. 😳

I'm not ready to share the story of how I broke the dinette table and the utter disaster with food and a pint of lemonade last night. It's still too raw. 😁
Given all your other teething problems Barry I shouldn't find your water heating story funny .
But I really did . Laughed my socks off .
Yes I am a cruel canunt
Sorry

Well you may as well hear the story of how I got banned from the kitchen. After a stressful day of dealing with stuff and what have you and having had virtually nothing to eat all day I set out to prepare a smoked Salmon salad with Sriracha sauce and other bits and pieces. Poured a pint glass of lemonade and it all looked great. Being a total spaz and a bit dodgy on my knees not everything is in the same place as the old van (that was my excuse) and I knocked the pint of pop flying off the side of the sink all over the front dinette floor. Bloody stuff went everywhere. I insisted on cleaning it all up and started heaping kitchen roll everywhere despite Michelle telling me to just get out of the way and she would deal with it. I wouldn't listen and then leant on the side of the dinette table. Too heavily it turned out as it broke free of its holding, the actual bloody single support leg came away and broke and all the food ended up all over the floor, the carpet under the table and all over some of Michelle's clothes.

What followed was an hour long clean up (for Michelle) and me down the back trying to fix the table which amazingly I have managed although being a Baz fix I wouldn't go leaning on it again. 😵‍💫

Get yourself some good lead acid replacements. They have worked well for generations and for full time use. Would never have lithium crap in my van. Lead acid is tried tested and works very well and always has.

Horses and cart worked for hundreds of years and did good for the Rose's. Too.

But diesel is king now. . Can't have all that lead around kids .lol.

I'm 1 year in and loving it. All electricity. Free baby free. Saved a tenner this year already.

Is it worth getting one of these? I thought if I plug it into one of the 12v sockets I am going to add directly to the new battery it might give me a more accurate idea each evening what the voltage is on the battery.

I have one on the dash and one in the back both have a USBC slot I keep for the phone as I have two C to C cables.

Last edited:
What exactly did you do to the dinette?

We need pictures and witness statements.

All evidence has been cleared away. In my haste to try and deal with the flood of pop all over the floor being a total spaz I leant to hard on one of the corners of the table (it has one folding posts in the middle that goes to the floor). This of course tipped it to one side, it left its housing and the bloody leg fell off, four screws ripped out of the bottom of the table. Im guessing this wasnt its first separation. My fix didnt last long. It fell off again last night. Will have another go at it today. Needs bigger screws or some plugs in the holes or something.

Is it worth getting one of these? I thought if I plug it into one of the 12v sockets I am going to add directly to the new battery it might give me a more accurate idea each evening what the voltage is on the battery.

That will be at the end of a long lead / wire. So no good long term.

Your table needs epoxy or or melt cable tie into hole

That will be at the end of a long lead / wire. So no good long term.

Your table needs epoxy or or melt cable tie into hole

Its just a temporary thing for this trip. Ill have a little 12v socket right under my seat at the back where I sit above the battery. I just thought it might give me a better idea if the battery is in decline than relying on the three lights on the solar controller or the swift levels lights above the door. Generally in the old van I hit the button on the (wonderful) MPPT controller each evening before bed and it showed me where we were in voltage. The old system this time of year even with a crap day it would hardly ever drop below 12.5.

Back