Gas explosion??

mikejay

Not sure how true seen a few posts on fb suggesting he was filling a standard gas bottle with an adapter no mention of this in the article. I do hope he was not as it will be another nail in the coffin for us with genuine refillable bottles.

News Article Here

Mike

How often should change a dry powder fire extinguisher

Yes that is what has been suggested on fb and it was the attendant who was hurt. Have lost count of the number of people in fb groups telling others its fine to use these diy adapters :mad:

Mike

A whole world of unqualified experts only too willing to give advice, unfortunately some follow it and suffer the consequences.

A whole world of unqualified experts only too willing to give advice, unfortunately some follow it and suffer the consequences.
Tim I have read advice on here that quite frankly scares the s—t out of me when it comes to handling gas.
This stuff is extremely dangerous and extreme care must always be used when handling it.

All I do with gas cylinders is buy them full and take them back empty, nothing else.

Last edited:
Allow me to play Devil's Advocate: I buy a DIY device (never seen one) and connect it to my Calor bottle (I assume that's what they're for). I go to the garage, connect the LPG pump and press the trigger. The bottle overfills and LPG pours out so I switch off the pump (perhaps I don't switch off my bottle before disconnecting). What happens?

Unless there is a naked flame or a very hot exhaust, I would think the LPG would quickly turn to gas but I accept that it would then fall to the floor and spread along the ground. I don't see how there could be an explosion/fire JUST as a result of a DIY set-up.

Very very happy to be corrected - Gordon

Allow me to play Devil's Advocate: I buy a DIY device (never seen one) and connect it to my Calor bottle (I assume that's what they're for). I go to the garage, connect the LPG pump and press the trigger. The bottle overfills and LPG pours out so I switch off the pump (perhaps I don't switch off my bottle before disconnecting). What happens?

Unless there is a naked flame or a very hot exhaust, I would think the LPG would quickly turn to gas but I accept that it would then fall to the floor and spread along the ground. I don't see how there could be an explosion/fire JUST as a result of a DIY set-up.

Many camper vans have a naked flame in the fridge. Usually with a vent drawing in the local atmosphere.

And as you say the highly flammable explosive LPG spreads rapidly along the ground, up to an height of 50cm dependent on ambient air temperature and a car comes in behind with its warm engine running.
And engines suck in air, and if that air contained LPG.
Theres also a naked flame in your fridge if you have left the gas on.

The possibilities are endless, bottom line it’s stupid.

The problem isn't just filling that can occur if you have the fridge on gas or it switches on it's own even if you have a proper refillable cylinder or tank.

There was a recent thread where one of the ladies on facts got badly burned and has only just got her van back.

When propane stored in liquid form is suddenly released to normal air pressure it expands explosively to 270 times its original volume. It will be hurled in every direction and not have a chance to settle at ground level. Any loose metal parts such as the dangerous filling device are likely to be thrown out too, or at the very least dropped, the smallest spark will set it off. This is known as a BLEVE (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapour Explosion) and you really do not want to be in the same post code if that happens.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back