Garmin POI installation

POI loading info

Hey POI Admin / Canalsman!

I've been busy collating a few great spots and will soon be submitting them to the database.
In the meantime, I seem to recall previous instructions for uploading specified to upload each dataset separately; Tap; Pub; Wildcamp.
These instructions appear to have been skipped and missed within the latest instructions; or perhaps they no longer relevant?
Having used the data on the road previously, it was definitely useful to be able to search specifically for Tap...
However, what happens if I ALL the data sets are uploaded together?
Thanks!

If you would like to send me your additions by PM that will be fine.

Your other comments confuse me a bit.

The locations continue to be identified by a prefix, and in addition the Wild Camping apps allow you to choose a subset of POIs to display.

Extras!!!

Hi
Many thanks for this great instruction set.

When I upload to my Garmin 760LTM-D Camper all the POI's are listed under Custom POI's so that's great, my question is "where is this Extras in Where To that people are referring to??, I only have Custom Poi's in Where To and no sub heading Extras
The POI's are there and working, just can't help wondering where my "Extras" is

Thanks
Mothership
Instructions for the Garmin range POI installation can be found here Nuvi 205 Extras | POI Factory

I know it says it's for the Nuvi, but the use of POI Loader applies to other Garmins as well :D

The instructions related to downloading files from POI Factory and installation of sound files should be ignored ...

Edit:

You may find it easier to follow these instructions which have been adapted from those given in the link above.

1. Download and install the latest version of POILoader from Garmin | United States | POI Loader.

2. Make a note of where you have unzipped the Wild Camping POI files - you will need to access the Garmin folder from POILoader. N.B. If you're using a Windows PC and use the Wild Camping POI Downloader to download the files, you will find that by default the unzipped files are located in My Documents\Wildcamping POIs.

3. Connect your NUVI to your computer using the USB cable. Wait for the NUVI to show it is connected and ready to receive files (Black screen with an ICON at the bottom showing it is connected to the computer.)

4. Run POILoader.

5. Select Garmin Device as Where to save your Points of Interest.

6. Press Next and wait for the program to find your NUVI. The NUVI will be shown in the box labeled Device:.

7. Press Next. The program will ask the location of the files to be loaded. Use the BROWSE button and select the FOLDER noted in step 2 above.

8. Select the measurement units used for your NUVI. Feet and Miles per hour or Meters and Kilometers.

9. The NUVI suggests running the program in Automatic. For BASIC file loading, this is sufficient. Press Next.

10. POILoader will begin to convert the POI files and ICONs and load them to your NUVI. If POILoader encounters an error with a source file, it will tell you the name of the file POI file containing an error. When finished, POILoader will tell you the number of POI successfully loaded to your NUVI.

11. Disconnect your NUVI using the Stop or Eject USB device.

12. Power up the NUVI and select WHERE TO -> EXTRAS and see if CUSTOM POI is displayed. Press CUSTOM POI and you should see a list of all the POI loaded.

Hi
Many thanks for this great instruction set.

When I upload to my Garmin 760LTM-D Camper all the POI's are listed under Custom POI's so that's great, my question is "where is this Extras in Where To that people are referring to??, I only have Custom Poi's in Where To and no sub heading Extras
The POI's are there and working, just can't help wondering where my "Extras" is

Thanks
Mothership

Perhaps your model is programmed differently to those on which others are basing their descriptions. But are you saying that "Where to" gives only "Custom POIs" and no options such as "Address", "Go Home", Points of Interest", Recently found", "Favourites", etc.? On my nuvi 765T, "Extras" is one of a few more that are found together with those mentioned.

No "Extras"

Hi
Thanks for getting back to me

When I go to "Where to?", I get all the usual Address etc etc and Custom Poi's but no specific "Extras" category.

Len

Perhaps your model is programmed differently to those on which others are basing their descriptions. But are you saying that "Where to" gives only "Custom POIs" and no options such as "Address", "Go Home", Points of Interest", Recently found", "Favourites", etc.? On my nuvi 765T, "Extras" is one of a few more that are found together with those mentioned.

Hi Len,

On my device, "Extras" only contains "Custom POIs". It may well be that this is all that the "Extras" folder was ever intended to contain, in which case, perhaps Garmin decided when developing new devices to remove an unnecessary layer so that you can go straight to "Custom POIs".

Tom

Extras!

Hi Tom

I think that is exactly the case having now inputted over 190K POI's from every site including all my converted Autoroute data, it's all there in Custom POI's so "happy bunny" this end so may also help anybody else who like me was trying to figure out where the Extras layer went
Thanks for your inputs

Len

Hi Len,

On my device, "Extras" only contains "Custom POIs". It may well be that this is all that the "Extras" folder was ever intended to contain, in which case, perhaps Garmin decided when developing new devices to remove an unnecessary layer so that you can go straight to "Custom POIs".

Tom

I asked a question about the Garmin 760 Camper satnav on another forum but got no answer.

Is it possible to get custom POI's to show up on the map like the pre-programmed ones (such as Supermarkets, Service Stations etc.)? I don't think you can but would be happy to be proved wrong. :)

Hi
Thanks for getting back to me

When I go to "Where to?", I get all the usual Address etc etc and Custom Poi's but no specific "Extras" category.

Len

Hi Len.
I have this model and it works well for me.
From the home screen tap -Where to..
Next screen tap - Catagories
Next screen tap down arrow 3 times
Tap custom POIs
All your added pois should be displayed in alphabetical order in their directories.
Good luck.
Bd..

Garmin POI

I have downloaded the poi to my Garmin nuLink as per your instructions. They appear in the extras folder but I was expecting a "W" to mark where they are on the sat nav map just as they do in they app for tablets. I know I am thick but what am I doing wron? Can you please help?

Bernie:cool1::cool1:

I don't use Garmin sat nav's, but I wonder if they function like TomTom. With their devices you have to choose which POIs you wish/don't wish to show on the base map ...

Have a dig around.

Garmin 660 LMT D( Aldi) CAN POIs be placed / seen on map, not searched from list?

Hi
Has anyone managed to get the POIs to appear on the map while travelling?

Pleased with the clarity, size etc.and price of £200.
Recognise the shortcomings of map data sets which ensure still use some common sense / road awareness to be used!!

Annoyingly it looses Satellite when indoors when next to PC as I connect to internet and play with it and reverts to "Title" page.
Then when I go outside, get a signal all fine but when reconnected to pc the screen sometimes remains fixed to the intro icon... , it sometimes retains the signal and I can work. BUT if it remains fixed on the opening page / Garmin logo, refind a signal, plan a route and it then seems to stay active.

I have added the Wildcamping PoIs and have the MHF and ACSI sets included.

The Wildcamping POIs are saved to Custom POIs which I have favourited to page after "Where to".
I can locate a selected POI, obtain routes etc ...from the list within Custom POIs, but I dont think I can get the icons to appear on the map.
Have tried dummy routes which I know include a POI. but the icons did not appear.
There is an audible alert it seems but would be far more useful to have icons appear as I travel as on my Iphone..

Can the Wildcamping Map feature be overlaid / added to the Garmin.Have tried playing without success.

If this is not possible any further recommendations? I have a TOM TOM, but about 5 years old which displays the POI icons, but I resent paying so much for updates and traffic info (apparently "Lifetime" with the Garmin, a great appeal!
Thanks in advance for any help.
Alun

HELP Garmin 660 LMT D( Aldi) CAN POIs be seen on map and not searched from list??

help Garmin 660 LMT D( Aldi) CAN POIs be placed / seen on map, not searched from list?
Hi

Pleased with the clarity, size etc.and price of £200.
Recognise the shortcomings of map data sets which ensure still use some common sense / road awareness to be used!!

Annoyingly it looses Satellite when indoors when next to PC as I connect to internet and play with it and reverts to "Title" page.
Then when I go outside, get a signal all fine but when reconnected to pc the screen sometimes remains fixed to the intro icon... , it sometimes retains the signal and I can work. BUT if it remains fixed on the opening page / Garmin logo, refind a signal, plan a route and it then seems to stay active.

I have added the Wildcamping PoIs and have the MHF and ACSI sets included.

The Wildcamping POIs are saved to Custom POIs which I have favourited to page after "Where to".
I can locate a selected POI, obtain routes etc ...from the list within Custom POIs, but I dont think I can get the icons to appear on the map.
Have tried dummy routes which I know include a POI. but the icons did not appear.
There is an audible alert it seems but would be far more useful to have icons appear as I travel as on my Iphone..

Can the Wildcamping Map feature be overlaid / added to the Garmin.Have tried playing without success.

If this is not possible any further recommendations? I have a TOM TOM, but about 5 years old which displays the POI icons, but I resent paying so much for updates and traffic info (apparently "Lifetime" with the Garmin, a great appeal!
Thanks in advance for any help.
Alun

Garmin 660 Aldi.... PoIs on map.

I have downloaded the POIs into the Garmin and can see them in list format and can plan journeys to them.
Having tried and failed to locate the PoIs on a map as if on a journey I contacted Garmin support.

They reported that the PoIs will appear when travelling, as they are located in transit ( there being none local to me)

Fingers crossed then that Ill be able to see the pins / flags as I travel and make impromptu stops rather than plan a route.

Hope this helps others like me who are struggling with manuals and edges of knowledge while frustration mounts to the cry of "is it me...."

I have downloaded the POIs into the Garmin and can see them in list format and can plan journeys to them.
Having tried and failed to locate the PoIs on a map as if on a journey I contacted Garmin support.

They reported that the PoIs will appear when travelling, as they are located in transit ( there being none local to me)

Fingers crossed then that Ill be able to see the pins / flags as I travel and make impromptu stops rather than plan a route.

Hope this helps others like me who are struggling with manuals and edges of knowledge while frustration mounts to the cry of "is it me...."

Alun I have a Garmin - so if I understand you correctly - you seem to have found that I cannot find out what POIs are available in any area that I am not currently physically located in ? is that right ?

If using an integrated garmin sat nav.
Would I load the poi files onto an sd card then download onto the sat nav.

Thank you.

You will need to refer to the user manual or check on the Garmin website.

The software, POI Loader, runs on a PC to load the POIs onto a standalone Garmin satnav using a USB connection.

Sorry ...

Is this any help ?

Adding POIs to a Kenwood device

Points of Interest (POIs) are already included in the maps on your Kenwood device, but additional POIs can also be installed using a program called POI Loader. You may install custom POIs you have made or collections you have downloaded from a website or received from another user.

To use custom POIs with a Kenwood device, you will need either an SD Card, USB flash drive, or a blank DVD. To find out which media to use, consult your owner's manual.

To install custom POIs to an SD card, USB flash drive, or DVD:

1. Insert blank media into computer
2. Create a folder named "garmin" on the root directory of the blank media
3. Download, install, and run the free POI Loader program at Garmin | United States | POI Loader
4. Select Computer as the save option
5. Browse and locate the garmin folder created in step 2
6. Click Next
7. Select the folder that contains the POI data using the Browse button
8. Name the folder POI
9. Confirm the units of measurement and whether you want to use Express or Manual mode
10. Click Next

The files will now be installed to the SD card or USB flash drive.

To install the custom POIs from the SD card, USB flash drive, or DVD to the Kenwood device:

1. Ensure that the Kenwood device is on one of the navigation screens
2. Insert the SD card, USB flash drive, or DVD into the Kenwood device
3. Touch Yes to confirm that you want to copy the POIs to the Kenwood device
4. Touch OK when notified that the installation is complete

The custom POIs will now be installed to the Kenwood device.

To access the custom POIs on the Kenwood device:

1. Touch Where To
2. Touch Categories
.Touch Extras on some devices

3.Select one of the custom POI categories

The device will now display the custom POIs in order of proximity.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back