Garmin POI installation

I have just updated the first post on this thread - hopefully this will assist you in getting the POIs onto your device :)

Regards

Chris

Just put the files on my Garmin nuvi 50 a big thank you for all the effort put into making this possible.

After a little help please

Hi all I’m just after some advice here please.

I just downloaded the POI zip file, unzipped it and placed all the opened files in a folder on my desktop and followed every step Canalsman set out at the start of this thread to a T. However when I go to custom POI’s I can see the headings Pub Stops, Tap and Wild Camp but when I open all three there are no lists of POI’s.

What am I doing wrong? Both my wife and I have gone through the whole process a number of times and have even trawled the net searching for an answer. My Nuvi is a 1490 with Australian maps not that I’d imagine that should make any difference.

Your help with the matter would be greatly appreciated as I’m endeavoring to load the POI’s before we arrive in the UK.
Mick

[QUOh

Hi,
Struggled after i unzipped,ive got POI,in Triplicate installed,i'm useing HP netbook
with Win 7,and Garmin nuvi 1340, for next time,any advice,this is all very new to me,
thanks to all who make this happen..
Tommy..

TE=Canalsman;124685]Hi Tony

Did you use POI Loader to put the POI data onto your 205?

If so, I have to assume that the previous files have been overwritten by the March 2011 set. (Remember that the new release is a complete new set of data and is intended to replace the earlier data.)

Regards

Chris[/QUOTE]

Hi Tommy

I don't use a Garmin satnav, but I presume there must be a means of deleting a set of POIs either on the device itself, or when using the POI Loader software ...

I'd advise you to delete the POIs and start again.

have nuvi 1240, downloaded garmin poi loader for windows when i open it it asks for windows media player11,when i try to update this it goes to 87% then says cant install, does that mean i cant install the poi,i have windows xp sp2,thanks

Last edited:
have nuvi 1240, downloaded garmin poi loader for windows when i open it it asks for windows media player11,when i try to update this it goes to 87% then says cant install, does that mean i cant install the poi,i have windows xp sp2,thanks

Sorry but I can't advise. I think you'll need to ask Garmin about this problem ...

Wild Camping files for Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D

Hello,

I am trying to get the POI files from "Wild Camping" to my Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D.
How can I manage this please?
We tried with the discription as you send on the first of March this year, but we didn't got the files on the Garmin

I have no knowledge of this model ... are you saying that POI Loader doesn't work?

If you are still struggling, please use Google to locate help, and then post the results.

Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D

Hello,

I am trying to get the POI files from "Wild Camping" to my Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D.
How can I manage this please?
We tried with the discription as you send on the first of March this year, but we didn't got the files on the Garmin

I've just got the same Garmin and seem to have successfully loaded the POI's. I followed the instructions here but when I first tried POILoader it said the unzipped files weren't in the folder I selected. This was because I hadn't drilled all the way down to the separate icon and POI files so I created a further file on the desktop and dragged and dropped each separate icon and POI file into it. In POILoader I then selected that file as the target file and it appears to have worked.

I copied all the files in one go and my Garmin has separated them all out into 4 different lists in Custom POI's so no need to download each one separately. Obviously I haven't tested it yet but don't envisage any problems.

Matt

I just loaded all the POIs on to a Garmin NUVI 54LM. They now appear in Extras > Custom POIs > All Categories, France, Pub Stop, Tap & Wild Camp. I only needed to go through the loading procedure once to do this. So maybe the instructions in the first post in this thread (that say to do it twice) & those in the user guide (that say to do it thrice) could do with updating?

Also worked out how to find POIs near somewhere I'm planning to go using Where To > Near > A Different Town (or another option). Brilliant, thanks to everyone who's made all this possible & looking forward to trying it all out on the road...:camper:

Thank you, I am now all sorted, because of the great instructions you have kindly displayed on here .

Harry:lol-053:

Sorry but I'm lost. I'm trying to download the POIs onto my Garmin (they are working fine on the pc) and get to item number 5. which says.... Select Garmin Device as Where to save your Points of Interest. I don't see that option. What exactly am I supposed to do here? I tried the "choose an action" but that doesn't seem to lead me anywhere and as I'm in a rush I'm probably panicking! I'm obviously missing something - can you help please?

Update! I've progressed to item 9 and it tells me I've loaded the folder. But it happened awfully quickly and I can't see them on the nuvi so somethings wrong and I didn't see any "conversions" going on as mentioned in item 10. I selected the Garmin folder as the POI source. Should I have selected the .csv .bmp files instead of the garmin folder? Still suffering from jetlag so I'll blame that!

a bit of further info to the last..... I have 2.3MB as a .GPI file showing in the POIs list on the Garmin so something has been transferred but can't see anything on the Garmin when I fire it up. Incidentally, I see no option of "disconnecting Nuvi" so had to just pull it out. Also, I don't see the option (item 12) of "Where to > extras" as suggested on the notes - there are no "extras". Hope this indicates to someone what my problem is - (apart from lack of sleep!) Appreciate your help.

By default the Garmin will only show the POIs in proximity to where you are located (as I understand it).

Are you in the UK, and has the Garmin located your position?

By default the Garmin will only show the POIs in proximity to where you are located (as I understand it).

Are you in the UK, and has the Garmin located your position?
Yes I'm now in the UK, and the Garmin works fine - but can't get the additional POIs to show up.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back