Garmin POI installation

....and I don't get to decide which of the "wild, tap, pub stops", (as the article suggests) to download - they are all in the Garmin folder which I select. I'm totally confused now! Appreciate your help, thanks.

That unfortunately didn't throw up and solutions. Will it help if I say that when I open the Garmin internal storage, > POI, it shows a "wildcamping POIs.gpi" file (of 2.38MB), similar to all the other POIs that the Garmin already has. They are all .GPI files. So something has been transferred but nothing actually showing on the navigation map pages. What are your thoughts about the fact that I understood I should have to run the wild, pubs, and water each separately. I didn't have the option of doing that so is there something missing here? I really need to solve this urgently so appreciate any guidance. Thanks.

I'm sorry but I don't use a Garmin so I can't advise further.

If you look in the POI file Help and Support forum there a number of threads relating to Garmin devices. I think it must be something you're failing to do because many members are using Garmins without difficulty.

How can I tell if Garmin POI download successful?

Hi. I have just downloaded the latest POIs to my Garmin, to replace the one's I installed much earlier in the year. The process was incredibly quick! Too quick me thinks! How can I be sure I have the latest POIs and not the original ones? If there isn't a technical way to tell, can you tell me of a POI which has been recently added or deleted? Many thanks

If you connect your Garmin to your computer, and assuming it's a Windows device, use Explorer to browse to the folder containing the POI files.

The last release, June, had files dated 30/5/2015.

Hope that helps ...

The date is 3 February 2015 - so it looks like they haven't updated. I'll try again.

Lost POIs on Garmin

Thought I'd lost them, but I've found them again! They are now dated today - not February but also not 30 May. Also, can you advise how to load the toilets. The folder name is Garmin, same as for the other POIs - the POI loader wants to over-write one garmin folder with another, so losing the wild camping locations. Any advice? Cheers

Last edited:
I don't use a Garmin device, but so far as I know only POIs with the same name will overwrite themselves.

So if you add the Toilet POIs the other POIs will be unaffected.

Not a clue!!

I've managed to download the POILoader for Garmin, but your next instruction says to note where I've put the unzipped files. I have no idea what this means! Sorry to be such a dumbass, but I can't work it out. Can you help, please?

If you're using a Windows PC and use the Wild Camping POI Downloader to download the files, you will find that by default the unzipped files are located in My Documents\Wildcamping POIs. The date of the folders and files is not that of the creation by POI Admin but the date when you downloaded the files to your PC.

Using the Garmin POI Loader, select the folder where the data files can be found: My Documents\Wildcamping POIs\Garmin.
The POI Loader will offer "Garmin" (the name of the source folder) as the name for the newly created custom POI file. I prefer to change this to "WildCamping" as it avoids confusion.
Click on "Next". If you have chosen the name "WildCamping" and already have a "WildCamping.gpi" file, you will be told that a custom POI file with that name already exists and asked if you would like to overwrite the file. Respond "Yes". Job done.

Tom

Thanks Tom. I've updated the instructions to include the default location you have identified :D

Thanks, Tom. Not quite "job done", but after about 4 hours I've finally managed to download the POIs onto my Garmin Nuvi! Next question - what do the various abbreviations mean? CR, OU, LR, etc.? All help appreciated. Fiona.

I downloaded mine fine on iPad, but I can't remember getting User Guide, on how to use it. Phil kindly showed me what to do at Rutland water. So, I too do not know what the initials mean - I have a rough idea, but it would be helpful to have a list somewhere!
Perhaps it's different with Garmin. I'll find out later, as I am trying to sort out Maps on my Garmin - managed to download everything 3 times, then twigged I need to go one step further after unzipping files and pick Garmin out of list!

Last edited:
I downloaded mine fine on iPad, but I can't remember getting User Guide, on how to use it. Phil kindly showed me what to do at Rutland water. So, I too do not know what the initials mean - I have a rough idea, but it would be helpful to have a list somewhere!
Perhaps it's different with Garmin. I'll find out later, as I am trying to sort out Maps on my Garmin - managed to download everything 3 times, then twigged I need to go one step further after unzipping files and pick Garmin out of list!

The user guides are part of the automated download using the Wild Camping POI Downloader on a Windows PC.
They are also available in the POI Download section of this website. This question is asked repeatedly, suggesting that the information is not adequately highlighted for all users.

See http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums...83-poi-please-read-post545924.html#post545924

Tom

PS: Admin, might it be better to move the following nearer to the top of the page?:
"Most of the support requests we get from members are because they have not read the user guides for these files.
Please read the instructions fully before asking for support.

You can download the User Guides for the current release from the links below:

User Guide - England, Wales & Scotland

User Guide - France

Toilet POI User Guide

You can find step by step guides for many devices and software in our POI Support Forums: POI Support Forums "

GARMIN POI`s

I seem to have a brain freeze, I have installed the POI`s on my Garmin before but can`t remember how I did it, I have done
4. Run POILoader.

but the only options I have in the POI Dowloader are

Choose an action

Deactivate computer

Check for POI updates

and

Open POI folder

I can`t see where to select Garmin Device to save them to the Garmin

5. Select Garmin Device as Where to save your Points of Interest.

You are getting confused between the Garmin POI Loader software and our Windows POI Downloader app.

You are running the app when you should be running the Garmin POI Loader ...

Ok, think I got it now, so No4 is Run the GARMIN POI Loader. thank you.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back