Frinton on Sea don't want us or have I misread the sign. Well, on one side of the road.

Not a "legal" sign? Really? Parking restriction signs to not have to carry any other information than that on this sign. And your attitude stinks! But of course, if you lived there, you would be happy to have your view blocked by a multitude of campers and motorhomes!
If you buy a home on a main road you knew what the possibilities regarding parking were. A bit like buying a house above a fish shop then complaining about the smell of fish. Where possible we try to avoid parking in front of homes, but in some locations that’s impossible. We should always try to be careful were we park, and when buying a house we should consider these possibilities, not complain about them after moving in.

If you buy a home on a main road you knew what the possibilities regarding parking were. A bit like buying a house above a fish shop then complaining about the smell of fish. Where possible we try to avoid parking in front of homes, but in some locations that’s impossible. We should always try to be careful were we park, and when buying a house we should consider these possibilities, not complain about them after moving in.
A friend of mine sold a plot for building, he then suffered years of abuse from the owners of the new house about the noise from his farm.

My last house in St Neots had a view across fields and down to the river. Tesco then built a huge store on it and we got all the noises from lorries delivering late at night.

We simply moved - sorted.

My last house in St Neots had a view across fields and down to the river. Tesco then built a huge store on it and we got all the noises from lorries delivering late at night.

We simply moved - sorted.
Did they knock down the pub to build it Rob :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have been visiting Frinton, in Essex for more years than I care to remember. Probably around 45 years actually.
Parking has always been free along the sea front and continues to be with the beaches stretching a long way towards Clacton and Walton and beyond.
It's fantastic and I love it.
When we bought our Moho around 3 years ago, we slept overnight there quite a few times and last year a PCSO said that residents didn't like moho's, so could we kindly not stay.
We weren't staying anyway but the nice PCSO did say that she finished at 10PM so no one would check after anyway. B-)

Well, this year the parking signage has changed, as attached.

This year they don't want you parked on that side of the road at all, but the other side of the road is fine. No restrictions as far as I saw.
Not sure why I took the weird angle of someone else's car but our van was parked on the opposite side of the road.

So if you planned on a visit to Frinton on sea in a moho and expect to park on the grassed side. DONT.

View attachment 100316

View attachment 100315photo in such a strange way,
What planet is this council on? Caravanette is a word dreamed up by Devon Conversions in 50's or 60's.
The committee that decided on that form of words must be a bunch of old duffers living in the dark ages, " caravettes and camper vans", idiots! What about the official description, motorhomes? They have no clue, except the usual hatred of "caravanettes". Of course everyone knows that we smash up public toilets, steal drinking water, empty chemical toilets wherever fancy & and leave garbage wherever we park. (West Somerset Free Press, and several other rags). They even complained that we "put litter in bins filling them up"!!
Get used to it folk, that's what to expect in UK. I just try not to spend any £ in towns which are so biased against us.

Your take on it is wrong then . A TRO is in place. But if you want to get a ticket and then try to appeal it, good luck with that.
You obviously have a personal interest here . If you don't mind me saying you do seem a tad non-conciliatory .
Signage alone probably not legal .

The Esplanade is far from a "main road". It's not even a B Road, it's unclassified. And no one expected these mobile toilets to become so popular as they have - another American import that doesn't translate to the UK.
Tell me why do you describe motorhomes as mobile toilets, no let me guess you don't like motorhomes.;)
I knew how popular they were becoming in 2016, and many before myself.
It was common knowledge years ago that motorhomes would outgrow caravans in the UK.
But in terms of being popular many countries in Europe have much greater per capita densities of motorhomes than we have here in the UK.
Only one vehicle in every 130 is a Motorhome in the U.K.
Furthermore they manage to cope far better than we do.
We imported zilch from the US with their massive gin palaces, larger than our busses on wheels.
What we drive is more in line what is used throughout Europe, not the US.

Last edited:
The Esplanade is far from a "main road". It's not even a B Road, it's unclassified. And no one expected these mobile toilets to become so popular as they have - another American import that doesn't translate to the UK.
Your resentment and anger towards us is clear from your post. May I ask what it is about us that upsets you so much?
Is it us (the people) and how we behave?
You see, if we don't know then we don't know how to improve so please let us know, what precisely makes you so cross?

Your resentment and anger towards us is clear from your post. May I ask what it is about us that upsets you so much?
Is it us (the people) and how we behave?
You see, if we don't know then we don't know how to improve so please let us know, what precisely makes you so cross?
We seem to have lost DJH10 ?
Pity , l'd liked to have heard an explanation from them re their deep seated dislike of all things motorhome.
Admittedly unlikely to have happened.

The fact that he describes us as "mobile toilets" would seem to back us up in many ways.

Pity he didn't add "mobile grey water carriers" or "mobile litter bins" or even "mobile local economy boosters".

We seem to have lost DJH10 ?
Pity , l'd liked to have heard an explanation from them re their deep seated dislike of all things motorhome.
Admittedly unlikely to have happened.
To be honest I never expected a reply. He/she would have had to have made some reasonable and sensible remarks so they didn't look foolish. Obviously emotional ranting hence the "mobile toilet" and Americanism references.
Posting "I purchased my house 35 years ago before motorhomes became popular and don't like looking at motorhomes" would seem silly and petty.
I've seen this sort of mentality times, people don't like change and feel they have some sort of power over what happens nearby simply because they've lived there for X amount of years. "I've lived here X years and now they want to build houses on the farmers field next door" etc etc. What on earth has living there for years got to do with anything? NOTHING stays still, not even a view. Get over it or move, don't expect the world to jump to your tune.

The fact that he describes us as "mobile toilets" would seem to back us up in many ways.

Pity he didn't add "mobile grey water carriers" or "mobile litter bins" or even "mobile local economy boosters".
Precisely Rob, car owners dumping bottles and trash everywhere, WE pi55 and dump in OUR toilets, not the bushes like the car owners do......but cars are OK 🤔

I have been visiting Frinton, in Essex for more years than I care to remember. Probably around 45 years actually.
Parking has always been free along the sea front and continues to be with the beaches stretching a long way towards Clacton and Walton and beyond.
It's fantastic and I love it.
When we bought our Moho around 3 years ago, we slept overnight there quite a few times and last year a PCSO said that residents didn't like moho's, so could we kindly not stay.
We weren't staying anyway but the nice PCSO did say that she finished at 10PM so no one would check after anyway. B-)

Well, this year the parking signage has changed, as attached.

This year they don't want you parked on that side of the road at all, but the other side of the road is fine. No restrictions as far as I saw.
Not sure why I took the weird angle of someone else's car but our van was parked on the opposite side of the road.

So if you planned on a visit to Frinton on sea in a moho and expect to park on the grassed side. DONT.

View attachment 100316

View attachment 100315photo in such a strange way,
Yes, we were along that coast recently. Anywhere which exibits anti campervan signage does nor get our £, we have food drink and ice creans on board thank you all the same.. Total twerps using the devon motor caravans trademarked i think description "caravavettes". There is no such word in dvla regulations. Motorhomes of any kind are motorhomes, that's it. Dvla don't know the difference between campervans and motorhomes, which most sensible people recognize as either panel van conversions or coachbuilts.
Rabid anti campervan press reports abound, stirring up anti feellings on both sides. Pity.

Probably not a legal sign, someone who knows more will verify. It's a public road, you've paid your tax and are insured, if the Nimby's don't like it, they can move, they only own the house not the view.

I think you are right! The sign is overcomplicated and tries to cover so many...my van with windows isn't specifically mentioned, caravanettes( what are they according to DVLA?) The intention is probably to stop the narrowing of the road by large vehicles parking on slanted spots, and stop parking sideways. But a very unhelpful way to achieve this.
Correct, caravaette? No such thing in the dvla handbook m, and i even think it's a devon motor caravans trademarked word.
I once owned a devon caravaette. It leaked.

Boozehound buggies ?

"Motor Caravan".

That's the official description that appears on all paper V5C vehicle registration documents, as far as I'm aware.

Doesn't matter if it's a motorhome, campervan, caravanette or whatever else people want to call mobile homes with an engine outside of that DVLA classification.

May be slightly different on the registration document if it's a "showman's vehicle", but otherwise.... ?

Anyone know anything different?

Ahh, but ours is a " van with windows" not a motor caravan according to DVLA. Think the sign was written in the hope of covering every type of sleeping vehicle. Just made it more complicated. Wonder if the same sign is still there? Or if someone on the council has had a bit of advice? ;) ;)

Ahh, but ours is a " van with windows" not a motor caravan according to DVLA. Think the sign was written in the hope of covering every type of sleeping vehicle. Just made it more complicated. Wonder if the same sign is still there? Or if someone on the council has had a bit of advice? ;) ;)
Ask DJH10 . Actually he might be on the council ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back