France and Travel Insurance.

I thought we'd still be able to travel freely throughout Europe after we left but we'd be able to control our borders - oh silly me, I should have asked just what would happen before I voted 😀

It'll be interesting to see how the 90 day thing works if as expected (?) we're going to be visa free.
From scanning our passports on entry the start of our visit will be logged but if we don't have them checked again (i.e.don't fall foul of the law and have passport logged back in - do they have fully integrated across country computer systems? ) presumably they'll only know we've overstayed when we leave?
So do they lock us up or let us go?
Maybe we'll never be allowed back into EU?
Anyway by this time next year we'll know - maybe😀

I thought we'd still be able to travel freely throughout Europe after we left but we'd be able to control our borders - oh silly me, I should have asked just what would happen before I voted 😀

It'll be interesting to see how the 90 day thing works if as expected (?) we're going to be visa free.
From scanning our passports on entry the start of our visit will be logged but if we don't have them checked again (i.e.don't fall foul of the law and have passport logged back in - do they have fully integrated across country computer systems? ) presumably they'll only know we've overstayed when we leave?
So do they lock us up or let us go?
Maybe we'll never be allowed back into EU?
Anyway by this time next year we'll know - maybe😀

Lots of non-EU countries have visa-free access but that doesn't alter the fact that they are only allowed to stay 90 days in any 180. You are correct - they will discover whether you have overstayed when you leave. The penalty depends on the country you leave from. For example, Greece imposes massive fines; the Netherlands have been known to stamp "illegal immigrant" in your passport. But whatever the immediate penalty, you will find (depending on the length of your overstay) that you may be barred from re-entering the EU for a number of years (3 is common). On top of that, as from the end of 2020, all non-EU citizens will be required to apply for an ETIAS stamp (similar to the USA system) whether they need a visa or not. The stamp will be easy to get online and cost around 7 euros - but if you have previously overstayed they will probably not give you one and therefore you will not be allowed into the EU. Once we leave, it would not be wise to disobey the 3 month rule - especially since, if you overstay, all your insurances will be invalid. Happy travels :)

I've read today that in amongst Boris and Priti's lack of knowledge or lies on the ppints based system which already exists and the fact that EU citizens will have tbe same rights as non EU I found this gem in Independent newspaper article.

"The second fib is that a vote for the Conservatives would bring an end to EU freedom of movement. This is false for two reasons. The first reason is simple: if Johnson wins and his MPs "get Brexit done", this means they promise to pass a withdrawal agreement. Crucially, this also means the start of a minimum two-year transition period -- where the agreement states that free movement will, in fact, continue."

So looks like EHIC will run for a good while?
Do we know if the transition period is actually two years or ends 31-12-20?

I've read today that in amongst Boris and Priti's lack of knowledge or lies on the ppints based system which already exists and the fact that EU citizens will have tbe same rights as non EU I found this gem in Independent newspaper article.

"The second fib is that a vote for the Conservatives would bring an end to EU freedom of movement. This is false for two reasons. The first reason is simple: if Johnson wins and his MPs "get Brexit done", this means they promise to pass a withdrawal agreement. Crucially, this also means the start of a minimum two-year transition period -- where the agreement states that free movement will, in fact, continue."

So looks like EHIC will run for a good while?
Do we know if the transition period is actually two years or ends 31-12-20?

The transition period that the EU offered May was to run up to the end of 2020 but with an option to be continued beyond that if both sides agreed. Boris' so-called deal didn't address the transition period so theoretically it is still there. However, if he gets a majority big enough for him to simply walk away without a deal, there will be no transition period and we will be out on January 30th (or possibly even earlier). There you go then - the answer is yes, no and maybe :)

Thanks for clarification.
He's said that it'll all be done by end of 2020 so I guess if he gets a majority and can maintain it internally that we'll be out regardless then deal or no deal.
With all his talk about being able to get a free trade deal it hadn't occurred to me that he'd consider "crashing out" on WTO terms in January.
But i guess anything's possible.

Last edited:
I appreciate that in theory this thread is about France but I've just realised (probably months behind everyone else?) that Ireland, Spain and Portugal have agreed to carry on treating UK citizens.

I also note that our government hoped that EHIC will continue post Brexit - time will tell😀

Just got home after my wife was hospitalised in Spain for 8 days on 8 Oct 2019. No bills for hospitalisation at the time, but who knows what will arrive in the post. They know where we live!

We were actually on the ferry but the departure was delayed and she was evacuated (blues & two) before we left Bilbao.

Claimed around £2k for expenses from travel insurance. 8 days in hospital then 5 days in hotel waiting for insurance company to declare her fit to travel.
No spaces on any Spain/UK ferries until mid November so returned via the Tunnel, still sorting out the extra 800 miles with the insurance company. An hour into our journey a Spanish HGV ran into the back of us and wrote off the trailer and motorbike. 5 hours delay before recovery turned up

When we returned to UK an illegal immigrant jumped out of a lorry about 20 vehicles ahead of us on the M20, Police closed the motorway and we just sat there for hours.

You couldn't make it up!
OMG what a trip 😢 sorry to read about all your troubles Hope your ladies has recovered.

If you need cremating who would have access to your bank account to pay for it? Have you thought how traumatic that would be to whoever on top of having to drop everything and fetch you in a box?
Wife has already agreed to it

I appreciate that in theory this thread is about France but I've just realised (probably months behind everyone else?) that Ireland, Spain and Portugal have agreed to carry on treating UK citizens.

I also note that our government hoped that EHIC will continue post Brexit - time will tell😀

I am surprised by that article, Mark. Normally, I assume that Which has its finger on the pulse but they seem not to understand how EHIC (or any other bilateral arrangement) works. Spain may very well want an EHIC-type arrangement with the UK to continue but it cannot enact this unless BOTH parties agree. Otherwise Spain would end up not only supplying us with health care but paying for it too - and I can't see that lasting long. Of course, the UK may agree but at the last count, the Spanish government was wanting to make continuation dependant on freedom of movement across the border with Gibraltar. Personally, I can't see anything to disagree with there but if Boris gets back in with a large Euro-sceptic majority it may prove a sticking point. I sincerely hope we do reach an agreement with Spain but if we do, it will only apply for the 3 month period in which we would legally be entitled to stay.

I'd forgotten that Spain was trying to play hardball about Gibraltar.
I suspect that which? have over simplified - BBC article says Spain and Belgium have agreed to carry on if UK will reciprocate.

Given the statements so far from our government that should mean it'll happen but given Boris' inability to be consistent or to lie anyway - who knows?

On a more constructive note here's an NHS webpage with country by country details.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the comments about this subject, however, the point we were trying to make is how important it is to have travel insurance. 11 weeks on and we have just received another bill from the hospital for the ambulance transfer to another hospital and the medicine my wife received while in hospital. Obviously we are not worried as we are covered. We have already had 10 times our annual travel insurance paid for us.
pj

Yes - I quite agree that having insurance back up makes sense particularly when getting treatment that costs more than the state reimbursement rate such as can apply in France.
It also avoids having to double check that you are at a state run facility.

Yes - I quite agree that having insurance back up makes sense particularly when getting treatment that costs more than the state reimbursement rate such as can apply in France.
It also avoids having to double check that you are at a state run facility.

I must admit that I got carried away with the Spain thing and ignored France. I agree that insurance might be wise in France because of the contribution factor but that is not necessarily so in Spain (I know few "snowbirds" who take out extra insurance here). It makes sense to research exactly what you get from EHIC in whichever country you intend to spend time in.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back