France and Travel Insurance.

In trying to justify your erroneous post you have lost the plot I quite clearly state in post 30 that a further deal would be needed.

Bloody 'ell - this is like pulling teeth! You said, quite clearly, that the Boris deal included staying in EHIC. It did not. The transition period is not a "deal". It is a statement that the current conditions will apply until a deal is reached. Boris has no intention of signing up to freedom of movement and thus no intention of keeping us in EHIC.

The only way your statement makes any sense is if Labour win an absolute majority and Kier Starmer keeps us in the single market. Unlike you, I am a realist. :)

Last edited:
Let me try to bring this nonsense to an end with a simple question to Mark and Colin: Can either of you say that we will be able to stay in EHIC if we do not agree to maintain free movement?

Bloody 'ell - this is like pulling teeth! You said, quite clearly, that the Boris deal included staying in EHIC. It did not. The transition period is not a "deal". It is a statement that the current conditions will apply until a deal is reached. Boris has no intention of signing up to freedom of movement and thus no intention of keeping us in EHIC.

The only way your statement makes any sense is if Labour win an absolute majority and Kier Starmer keeps us in the single market. Unlike you, I am a realist. :)
What don't you understand, the Boris deal is only for the transition period, there is no deal beyond that. This was in my first post and remains the same,

I don't understand the double negative in John's last paragraph to post #60
What happens to EHIC on 1st Feb?
All previous advice for earlier "leaving" dates said it would continue during transition - has Boris negotiated that away?
I don't understand why EHIC cards have EU logo if nothing to do with it.
I had hoped I'd been sarcastic enough for it to be clear that I expect EHIC for temporary travel to end upon actually leaving either with No deal in January or at end of 2020.
At the moment I understand that S1 exchanges for pensioners to have been agreed to continue - but maybe that's in the Withdrawal Agreement- who knows?

Apparently health care costs currently being paid out to EHIC countries by UK is £600M with only £45M being charged out.
That could either be a big saving if it disappears completely or a major problem for NHS if people come back (as highlighted in BMA paper)
Still everyone knew all this in June 2016 so I don't know why we're only talking about it now😂

Last edited:
Thank you for all the replies to our original post about Health Ins we have found them most interesting some very supportive ( and thank you to those) and at times others very frustrating.
I will now tell you briefly what happened.
I went to bed the night before very well no problems, slept well and woke up the next morning fine. I sat up in bed and felt a gurgling sensation in my chest and gave a little cough to clear it and a handful of blood appeared. It happened over and over again. Our first thoughts were to get a hospital asap.
Which we did, we knew we did not have to worry about the cost as we had Travel Ins. We did not have to worry about which hospital to go to, because we had Travel Ins. We did not have to worry about looking up Tarrifs etc for different hospitals because we had Travel Ins. The only thing we had to worry about was my health. My husband has said that the last thing on his mind was how much the treatment was going to cost.
The second day that my husband was coming to visit me he had a blow out on the back tyre in the middle of Poitiers. As we pay for Breakdown he rang up Saga and they came out to him and sorted it. No problem. (Has anyone tried to jack up a Burtstner on the rear end without jacking up the whole body, extremely difficult). They came out within the hour,put the spare tyre on and no cost or worry.
My husband picked me up from hospital after 7 days, within an hour of leaving hospital we had a blow out on the other rear tyre. Ok, we had some sh*t from the original person we spoke to from Saga but within 24 hrs we were on our way. (Bear in mind that we had no spare tyre because of the first blow out, so without breakdown we would have had to source a tyre and get someone to come to us as we were on a Lidel car park, it would have mean't taxis here there and everywhere).
So, we have calculated this out at £7 a week for Breakdown and Travel Ins for the year , and we can go as many times as we like in one year (our average is 3 months)
we think it is extremely cheap for peace of mind.
I thank all those who understand. Pj

I don't understand the double negative in John's last paragraph to post #60
What happens to EHIC on 1st Feb?
All previous advice for earlier "leaving" dates said it would continue during transition - has Boris negotiated that away?
I don't understand why EHIC cards have EU logo if nothing to do with it.
I had hoped I'd been sarcastic enough for it to be clear that I expect EHIC for temporary travel to end upon actually leaving either with No deal in January or at end of 2020.
At the moment I understand that S1 exchanges for pensioners to have been agreed to continue - but maybe that's in the Withdrawal Agreement- who knows?

Apparently health care costs currently being paid out to EHIC countries by UK is £600M with only £45M being charged out.
That could either be a big saving if it disappears completely or a major problem for NHS if people come back (as highlighted in BMA paper)
Still everyone knew all this in June 2016 so I don't know why we're only talking about it now😂

As long as we are in the single market and thus signed up to freedom of movement we are eligible to stay in EHIC. Simple as that.

Yes, we do stay in IF there is a transition period.

No, Boris did not negotiate us staying in - his intention is the reverse.

My driving licence has the EU logo on it but it is not issued by the EU. The symbol simply says that it can be used anywhere in the EU.

As you say, the £600 million paid out will not be saved if Brits are forced to come home and use the NHS.

Yes, we knew about it in 2016 (or we should have done) but some people chose to bury their heads in the sand.

Last edited:
I have to say that I'm amazed that no one has pulled all the Tories up on their stupid slogan - I'm fed up with hearing the assertion that they will "Get Brexit Done" on 31st Jan.
Still we're used to hearing less than the truth about Brexit.

Last edited:
What don't you understand, the Boris deal is only for the transition period, there is no deal beyond that. This was in my first post and remains the same,

You seem to completely misunderstand the whole process. The Boris deal is NOT just for the transition period. The transition period (if we get one) is there to smooth over the join between part one of the negotiation (what you call Boris' deal) and the detail that will be ironed out in part 2 (if, indeed, we ever get that far). The fact that we stay in EHIC during the transition period is NOT down to Boris; it is a temporary halt to any kind of change while Boris (or whoever is PM) negotiates the detail of his outline plan. Staying in EHIC has never been part of Boris' plan.

I have to say that I'm amazed that no one has pulled all the Tories up on their stupid slogan - I'm fed up with hearing the assertion that they will "Get Brexit Done" on 31st Jan.
Now that, we can certainly agree on :)

Let me try to bring this nonsense to an end with a simple question to Mark and Colin: Can either of you say that we will be able to stay in EHIC if we do not agree to maintain free movement?

No, I can't say we will be able to stay in the EHIC if we do not agree to maintain free movement.

Neither have I alluded to, suggested, or even hinted directly or indirectly that we can. You misunderstood a post and ran with it in the wrong direction.

No, I can't say we will be able to stay in the EHIC if we do not agree to maintain free movement.

Neither have I alluded to, suggested, or even hinted directly or indirectly that we can. You misunderstood a post and ran with it in the wrong direction.
Thank you. But I did not misunderstand any post. Colin said that Boris' deal included staying in EHIC and, as you have just agreed, that is not possible under Boris' stated aim of ending free movement. Colin was confusing the transition period (should there be one) with the deal that Boris wants to get Parliament to approve. They are VERY different things.

Last edited:
Let's get back to Brexit basics - Boris' deal is merely the latest rehash of Mrs M's withdrawal (divorce) agreement that has a transition period where not much changes.
During this time while we're technically but not practically out of EU we can sign up the 100+ "free trade" (whatever that means) with all the other countries with whom we currently trade as part of EU and we negotiate the actual Brexit Deal with the EU.
Of course we may not be able to agree terms with EU on all (any?) of the things we need to by then so we may yet have to leave properly without a deal.
Bearing in mind the overwhelming speed and success Dr Fox had with the easy deals he was tasked with over the last 3 years I'm not holding my breath😀

Let's get back to Brexit basics - Boris' deal is merely the latest rehash of Mrs M's withdrawal (divorce) agreement that has a transition period where not much changes.
During this time while we're technically but not practically out of EU we can sign up the 100+ "free trade" (whatever that means) with all the other countries with whom we currently trade as part of EU and we negotiate the actual Brexit Deal with the EU.
Of course we may not be able to agree terms with EU on all (any?) of the things we need to by then so we may yet have to leave properly without a deal.
Bearing in mind the overwhelming speed and success Dr Fox had with the easy deals he was tasked with over the last 3 years I'm not holding my breath😀
Can't disagree with any of that - glad to see you have stopped supporting the unsupportable :)

Thank you. But I did not misunderstand any post. Colin said that Boris' deal included staying in EHIC and, as you have just agreed, that is not possible under Boris' stated aim of ending free movement. Colin was confusing the transition period (should there be one) with the deal that Boris wants to get Parliament to approve. They are VERY different things.

I was not confusing anything, I quite plainly state in post 30 that another deal would need to be done to keep EHIC.

Can't disagree with any of that - glad to see you have stopped supporting the unsupportable :)
I don't think I ever was but obviously my irony and sarcasm was too well disguised 😀
You talk about Boris' plan - do we actually think he has one?

I don't think I ever was but obviously my irony and sarcasm was too well disguised 😀

Boris has a plan to be King of the world.

I spotted - and appreciated the irony and sarcasm, Mark. It was the factual errors I was challenging - such as leaving the EU means leaving EHIC or that Boris' deal involved staying in EHIC. But I think we have cleared those points up now.

Thanks John - just a bit if confusion about the difference between Boris' deal (withdrawal agreement = benefits maintained during transition) and his 2016 promises (all the benefits, free trade but control of law and borders) and his proposed negotiation and ongoing relationship (bet you it doesn't match 2016 promises! Does even he know what he wants?)
I'd like to think that a deal could be done to maintain (restart if you like) EHIC either in a multilateral agreement with all other members or with EU representing the 27.
It's actually an interesting read to see the range of other countries we have reciprocal arrangements (I didn't realise that the Balkans were big mates for example.
I'm under the impression that the long term arrangements for residence and healthcare are already agreed presumably all our "Costa cousins" hope so.

Thanks John - just a bit if confusion about the difference between Boris' deal (withdrawal agreement = benefits maintained during transition) and his 2016 promises (all the benefits, free trade but control of law and borders) and his proposed negotiation and ongoing relationship (bet you it doesn't match 2016 promises! Does even he know what he wants?)
I'd like to think that a deal could be done to maintain (restart if you like) EHIC either in a multilateral agreement with all other members or with EU representing the 27.
It's actually an interesting read to see the range of other countries we have reciprocal arrangements (I didn't realise that the Balkans were big mates for example.
I'm under the impression that the long term arrangements for residence and healthcare are already agreed presumably all our "Costa cousins" hope so.

Unless we agree to free movement, we will not be able to replicate EHIC but I agree with you that bilateral agreements will be made - especially with Spain because they will not want to lose tourists. However, us long-termers will have to change our plans because whatever agreements are arrived at they will have to comply with the 3 month maximum rule for non-EU states. Never mind - Morocco is very nice in the winter :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back