France and Travel Insurance.

pamjon

Hi, I am Pam from the Pam and Jon duo.
I just want to instill in all of you who do not take out Travel Insurance when you go away that you should.
Two weeks ago I woke up one morning felt a gurgling in my chest (did not feel ill) went to clear my throat and coughed up blood, lots of it constantly.
We went straight to the emergency dept at Chatellarault and was seen straight away after producing my EHIC card and travel ins docs.
To cut a long story short, I was transfered the next morning to Poitiers Hospital for a Broncospocy (camera into my lungs). However, in the worry or urgency I had left the documentation of the travel insurance with my husband at Chatellarault. The hospital at Poitiers would not put the camera down my into my lungs until they had seen the travel insurance documents. Once they received by fax the proof that I was insured they proceeded.
I was in hospital for 7 days and treated very well.
The moral of the story is TAKE TRAVEL INSURANCE. It made a big difference to both myself and my husband.

Hope you are on the mend . Wee bit disturbed that you weren't getting treated without insurance ?
Ended up in hospital in Bordeaux recently , relatively minor problem , and was treated without being asked about insurance or , even , EHIC .

Im a bit surprised at this. I would have thought this investigation would be part of emergency treatment and covered by EHIC. When Mrs D spend 8hrs in casualty in France which required a surgeon being called to carry out a procedure there was no questions about insurance. Most of it was covered but we did got a couple of small bills several months later which we had to pay. Presume the EHiC people paid the rest as there was a bill for over €1000 which showed as being paid.

In Italy a similar thing happened which involved visits to two hospitals. We never saw a bill or paid anything for that. EHIC covered it all.

That's worrying to know. I wasn't by chance a private ward treatment in Poitiers hospital was it? EHIC wouldn't cover that. Did you show them your EHIC card? Hope you're on the mend now.
I was recently near Poitiers chatting and an Irishman, now living in the region, he was singing the praises of the Poitiers hospital having recently had a triple bypass there.

Hi, Thank you for your replies.
Firstly, I really don't know if It was a private hospital or not however, I doubt it as I was sent there by another hospital which didn't have a doctor who could perform the broncoscopy and they were in contact with the hospital in Poitiers all the time about my condition. I had produced the EHIC card at the first hospital and the travel insurance details. Poitiers needed to see it too to verify. I was told by the paramedics who took me there that it would be very expensive for me if I couldn't produce it. To be fair if I had to pay I had to pay. On ringing Saga when we got home they also asked if I had produced the EHIC card and because I had they paid me back the 100 euros for the prescription I had to pay for at the chemist when I left the hospital and also compensation for the 6 nights I spent in hospital (loss of holiday).
I must say that at the first hospital my husband asked if he could stay the night in the motor home on their car park which they said yes and also offered to feed him as he had not eaten anything all day as he had sat in the waiting room all day and not moved. He declined but was grateful for the offer.
As a foot note one of the meals I had in hospital was lovely steak.
I saw my doctor the other day and he seemed astounded that I had had all the relevant tests there already and that it would not have happened like that on the NHS.
Thank you all yes, I believe I am doing well and now I just have to wait for another CT scan in another 2 months.
Thanks pj

Hi, Thank you for your replies.
Firstly, I really don't know if It was a private hospital or not however, I doubt it as I was sent there by another hospital which didn't have a doctor who could perform the broncoscopy and they were in contact with the hospital in Poitiers all the time about my condition. I had produced the EHIC card at the first hospital and the travel insurance details. Poitiers needed to see it too to verify. I was told by the paramedics who took me there that it would be very expensive for me if I couldn't produce it. To be fair if I had to pay I had to pay. On ringing Saga when we got home they also asked if I had produced the EHIC card and because I had they paid me back the 100 euros for the prescription I had to pay for at the chemist when I left the hospital and also compensation for the 6 nights I spent in hospital (loss of holiday).
I must say that at the first hospital my husband asked if he could stay the night in the motor home on their car park which they said yes and also offered to feed him as he had not eaten anything all day as he had sat in the waiting room all day and not moved. He declined but was grateful for the offer.
As a foot note one of the meals I had in hospital was lovely steak.
I saw my doctor the other day and he seemed astounded that I had had all the relevant tests there already and that it would not have happened like that on the NHS.
Thank you all yes, I believe I am doing well and now I just have to wait for another CT scan in another 2 months.
Thanks pj
I have , reluctantly , actually taken out travel insurance this time . Two reasons , EHIC was never going to cover me getting shipped home , given all that is (isn't) happening I thought , for once , play safe .
Still puzzled re hospital behaviour . Twice ended up in casualty in France never had ,or was asked , for insurance . Last visit I was given a form and had to send photocopies of passport , EHIC .

I have always ensured that we have had travel insurance when abroad. I use an annual multi-trip policy. Only one incident 4 years ago when I suffered a bad knee injury in Rome - long story but I ended up in a hospital near the Vatican - not once did they ask about insurance policy or EHIC card - we had both with us.
Nevertheless, I would never travel abroad without insurance.

EHIC may cover you for lots of things but it wouldn't cover for medical repatriation if required.
We have just come back from France, having taken the Eurotunnel insurance for a year, and thankfully didn't need it.
They didn't want exhaustive information on pre-existing conditions and said provided your doctor has not advised against travel you're OK.

If France is the same as Spain, if you go into a private hospital they want to know how they are getting paid first.

We had a friend who broke her hip in a fall. We made sure that she was taken to a non private hospital. There they asked her if she had insurance , to which she said yes so they transfered her , broken hip and all to nearby private hospital . When the paperwork came through cover had expired so she was transferred back to original hospital where they fixed her hip on the EHIC. My take is never admit to insurance (unless you are sure you are covered) and make sure you go non private which in Spain is very good . Yes repatriation is not covered but we have enough in the bank for a cremation and someone will come and collect the ashes !

Thought I would update you. Just got a bill from the Hospital in Poitier, which obviously the travel insurance are paying or have paid. I t was 1347.00 euros. Glad we are not paying the equivalent of paying for 6 years payments for travel ins. We think value for money and peace of mind.
PJ

Thought I would update you. Just got a bill from the Hospital in Poitier, which obviously the travel insurance are paying or have paid. I t was 1347.00 euros. Glad we are not paying the equivalent of paying for 6 years payments for travel ins. We think value for money and peace of mind.
PJ
Yes that is what insurance is for . Still puzzled by this , have to assume it was a private hospital (or private treatment) . If not your insurance company would I queried it surely ?

I can now confirm that the Hospital was not a Private Hospital. The Insurance Company have not queried it at all and have been totally supportive.
I must add two more things. About 8 years ago my husband was treated at La Fe Hospital in Valencia and the bill for an out patient treatment was just over 1000 euros and was not private.
My daughter has just informed us that one of their engineers was working in America for the company his Asthma became very severe and he spent 3 nights in hospital and the bill was £65000.
Just remembered, my neighbour was in America about 10 years ago suffered a heart attack and before they put him in the ambulance they wanted to make sure he had sufficient cover.
So take note everyone.
Our annual insurance costs us about £2 a week for both of us, well worth it.
PJ

I can now confirm that the Hospital was not a Private Hospital. The Insurance Company have not queried it at all and have been totally supportive.
I must add two more things. About 8 years ago my husband was treated at La Fe Hospital in Valencia and the bill for an out patient treatment was just over 1000 euros and was not private.
My daughter has just informed us that one of their engineers was working in America for the company his Asthma became very severe and he spent 3 nights in hospital and the bill was £65000.
Just remembered, my neighbour was in America about 10 years ago suffered a heart attack and before they put him in the ambulance they wanted to make sure he had sufficient cover.
So take note everyone.
Our annual insurance costs us about £2 a week for both of us, well worth it.
PJ
So have you any idea why your EHIC wasn't valid ?

Does anyone know whether EHIC is included in the Boris deal?
If not travel insurance will be essential - maybe more expensive?

Does anyone know whether EHIC is included in the Boris deal?
If not travel insurance will be essential - maybe more expensive?
Don't think there are any such details in Boris 'deal' .
If that does go through then we have to start negotiating .
Did you think it was all over ?
Well it isn't now !
Or will be anytime soon

It could or will put up premiums if there is no continuation after Bxxxit.Claims will have to be paid in full in some cases by insurers.
My nationwide flexplus has just been increased by £60 as we declare pre existing conditions
From this bbc news article only spain has agreed to let it continue.
BBC Newsbeat

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back