Fogstar drift batteries

Well finally all my stuff has now arrived ready for the install, hoping to fit it all next Thursday. It's added up to a tidy sum, I hope it will be worth it.

I can't see what size cable you are using.

I'm sure you are aware though that some of the Victron stuff can only take up to 16mm2. I also read that you shouldn't use cable terminal pins with Victron gear.

Looking forwards to following your progress.

I'm sure you are aware though that some of the Victron stuff can only take up to 16mm2. I also read that you shouldn't use cable terminal pins with Victron gear.

There is a selection of 16mm, 25mm and 35mm, my friend who is helping me as advised me what we need, he has done a few installs before. His setup is unbelievable, he has 1000watt of solar panels on his roof and two roamer 460 amp batteries fed through all Victron gear, dread to think how much his setup cost, so I'm confident we will get it setup right.

I often use connector pins when using a lot of Victron kit as the cable terminals are too small.

There is a selection of 16mm, 25mm and 35mm, my friend who is helping me as advised me what we need, he has done a few installs before. His setup is unbelievable, he has 1000watt of solar panels on his roof and two roamer 460 amp batteries fed through all Victron gear, dread to think how much his setup cost, so I'm confident we will get it setup right.
If you are installing a 3000W inverter, 35mm2 cable is inadequate. You need to use 70mm2 as a minimum

I have had my 300ah Fogstar drift in for a few days now and fully charged it is showing 319.5ah/304ah capacity on the Fogstar app. So have I gained a few ah ?
Maybe. Most lifepo4s are slightly over spec by a few percent when brand new but 319 is a bit higher than I'd expect and could be down to a bit of error in the BMS shunt resistance too. So part battery, part flatteration.

There is currently 35mm2 cable from the battery to the 2000 watt inverter, but me been a novice fitted that. The inverter is right next to the battery so it's only a veryshort run, is that adequate?
it should carry the current ok, but in use check the temp of the cable to see how floppy it gets. I originally used 50mm for my Multiplus 12/3000 - which is a 2400W inverter - which I thought would be ok as the run was very short, but it got remarkably warm when drawing 200A. Swapped it out for 70mm2 cable which made a big difference. In fact Victrons installation guide advised 90mm2 or 2 x 50mm2, but I went a bit smaller due to proximity of Multiplus to Battery Bank.

it should carry the current ok, but in use check the temp of the cable to see how floppy it gets. I originally used 50mm for my Multiplus 12/3000 - which is a 2400W inverter - which I thought would be ok as the run was very short, but it got remarkably warm when drawing 200A. Swapped it out for 70mm2 cable which made a big difference. In fact Victrons installation guide advised 90mm2 or 2 x 50mm2, but I went a bit smaller due to proximity of Multiplus to Battery Bank.
Thanks David for your reply, I will certainly keep my eye on it.

If the inverter has an audible warning for low battery voltage (most have) then this will trigger sooner with thinner cables because the inverter 'sees' a lower voltage than the true battery voltage. Same thing happens a little later with the inverter shutting down early 1/2 way through doing the toast😡

I got that information from the van Junkies website David but I don't really see why you shouldn't use them so I will. 🙂
I bought these when I was upgrading the moho electrics ...

They make life so much easier I even use them at work now .

I got that information from the van Junkies website David but I don't really see why you shouldn't use them so I will. 🙂
They will have quoted Victrons official line, which is bare cables in the clamp terminals. I don't know the rational behind it, but for Victron kit, I tend to use the pin terminals on the 16mm2, ferrule on the smaller ones, and nothing (bare) on the largest clamp terminals.
That is what I do, but it is not Victrons recommendation.

I bought these when I was upgrading the moho electrics ...

They make life so much easier I even use them at work now .

The bootlace ferrules keep all the wires together, which is a good thing.
However .... When you have a very close size tolerance, such as a 16mm cable going into a Victron 30A B2B, using a ferrule actually makes the cable TOO BIG to fit.
So yes, they can work, but not always.

It's all to do with surface area and contact resistance. If a fine stranded 16mm cable is prepared and clamped correctly then it beats using a pin or ferrule because you have maximum contact area and only one metal to metal contact ( just cable to connector rather than cable to ferrule and then ferrule to connector. Obviously if the cable you want to use is too big then you'll have to reduce the size with a pin. Using a pin or ferrule has the advantage of avoiding stray whiskers but if the connections are easily accessible and visible then It's easy enough to make the connection.

Looking for advice, would there be any advantage adding the victron smart shunt into my intended system or does the Fogstar battery App give me all the information that the smart shunt would.

I bought this one instead of the Victron (Thanks @merl);

Although it seems it has gone up about £10 since I bought mine! You can get them cheaper at AliExpress but you need the cable and shunt included. I went for the 350A.

Thanks for the recommendation, But do you know if the Fogstar App gives you the same information as this, when it is Bluetoothed to your phone?

Sorry the answer is I simply don't know - not fitted yet. But my understanding is that the monitor will give an accurate, at a glance detail of the state of charge of your battery and also detail of time remaining as well as an alarm when the battery is getting low or something is amiss.

I'm sure others will fill in more detail though.

Screenshots from the Fogstar app, I also have the Victron Bluetooth mppt, 30a B2B and ehu charger which give me all the information I need.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-08-26-08-47-22-51_05a74d9966b240494e50377ddba57a55.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-08-26-08-47-22-51_05a74d9966b240494e50377ddba57a55.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_2024-08-26-08-47-30-58_05a74d9966b240494e50377ddba57a55.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-08-26-08-47-30-58_05a74d9966b240494e50377ddba57a55.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I bought this one instead of the Victron (Thanks @merl);

Although it seems it has gone up about £10 since I bought mine! You can get them cheaper at AliExpress but you need the cable and shunt included. I went for the 350A.
I supplied one of those to someone around 5 years ago. Apparently he never really ending up using it as he found the display was too bright. So was fitted out the way and not really visible. Quite a common complaint actually as the backlight stays on and when the batteries are charging it pulses on and off to tell you. It is a good monitor but that feature can be rather annoying.
I've switched to the Victron units and as it happens fitted the BMV-712 for him last week instead.
One other thing to watch for with the Alii monitor ... The cable from shunt to display is ridiculously short and you may need to extend it (I DIY an extension. You can buy an extension lead but they are silly money for a bit of telephone-guage cable).

Thanks for the recommendation, But do you know if the Fogstar App gives you the same information as this, when it is Bluetoothed to your phone?
If you are an "App guy", then the info from the Fogstar app will give you what you need.
Where something like the Alii Monitor wins is having a physical display (ignoring the comments above) that you can glance at for a basic check instead of having to get the phone out.
Taking my example above, the person who got the BMV-712 went for that as he could use his phone to check the info via the Victron app (al la Fogstar App), but his wife could also just look at the display if she wanted to see the SOC before putting the inverter on, for example.

I supplied one of those to someone around 5 years ago. Apparently he never really ending up using it as he found the display was too bright. So was fitted out the way and not really visible. Quite a common complaint actually as the backlight stays on and when the batteries are charging it pulses on and off to tell you. It is a good monitor but that feature can be rather annoying.
I've switched to the Victron units and as it happens fitted the BMV-712 for him last week instead.
One other thing to watch for with the Alii monitor ... The cable from shunt to display is ridiculously short and you may need to extend it (I DIY an extension. You can buy an extension lead but they are silly money for a bit of telephone-guage cable).

One reviewer reported that you can stop the flashing by pressing the right and left buttons at the same time David? Mine came with a 16ft armoured cable which will suit my needs for positioning,

Back